Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

thewizbizman
Topic Author

Back up ops centers

Fri May 29, 2020 10:51 pm

https://simpleflying.com/united-airline ... ent-flood/

The article above goes into depth on UA recovery from their headquarters buildings basement being flooded, causing an evacuation of employees. The article goes on to state UA have 4-6 backup operations centers. I was unaware airlines have contingency plans for this but it makes sense. Does anybody know the truth to this? Or backup facilities or procedures for any other airlines?
"Aviation is the youngest big industry, but it is the fastest growing baby ever. A few years ago, it was called impossible to fly…The day of the airplane is surely here."

April 17, 1929 / C. E. Woolman

JustAnFO

Back up ops centers

Sat May 30, 2020 1:26 am

WN has a backup operations center, which they call the ROC (Remote Ops Center), located somewhere in suburban Dallas. They used it recently for a couple of weeks while the NOC was being renovated. But yes, its main purpose is to provide another location to operate the airline, should the NOC become uninhabitable or unusable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strfyr51

Re: Back up ops centers

Sat May 30, 2020 4:35 am

thewizbizman wrote:
https://simpleflying.com/united-airlines-basement-flood/

The article above goes into depth on UA recovery from their headquarters buildings basement being flooded, causing an evacuation of employees. The article goes on to state UA have 4-6 backup operations centers. I was unaware airlines have contingency plans for this but it makes sense. Does anybody know the truth to this? Or backup facilities or procedures for any other airlines?

United has not only backup Ops caters But Reservations Centers as well In Chicago > the Willis is backed up at Elk Grove with an Emergency center downtown, Reservations. Backed up in Chicago at the former Res Center and I think another one though I can't remember where, there are other reservations centers around the country as well in a pinch. But the Willis is going to be the main OPS building for quite a while to come if they get this mess cleaned up, Sure glad they got their eyes opened.

Woodreau

Sat May 30, 2020 11:06 am

AA and Envoy both have separate back up Operations center somewhere in downtown Dallas as well.

Spirit has their backup Operations center in Detroit which they activate if a hurricane threaten their primary operations center in Miramar. this past spring, system operations was run remotely from each individuals home due to COVID.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

nws2002

Sat May 30, 2020 1:51 pm

SY's main SOC is at their HQ at MSP airport. They have a backup facility in Mendota Heights as well. I believe during COVID-19 they've actually been running both facilities with the SOC staff split between the two just in case the virus spreads through the staff at one location.

DiamondFlyer

Sat May 30, 2020 8:25 pm

thewizbizman wrote:
https://simpleflying.com/united-airlines-basement-flood/

FAR 121 generally requires a backup site, as far as I know.
From my cold, dead hands

fr8mech

Sun May 31, 2020 11:51 am

We activate our back-up operations center once a year in an exercise.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

FlyingElvii

Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:20 pm

YX has a backup SOC at the training center near IND. During Covid they have been operating the SOC from three different locations, two on different floors of HQ with segregated staffing, using the old Shuttle SOC.

Spirit was in the process of building a new SOC in Nashville, due to their recent hurricane experiences. That project has likely been put on hold for the moment.

cpl22586

Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:24 am

Jetblue has a backup system operations center out on Long Island .

dispatchguy

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:09 am

DiamondFlyer wrote:
thewizbizman wrote:

FAR 121 generally requires a backup site, as far as I know.

We have to have "enough dispatch centers adequate for the operations to be conducted." (121.107) Good sense requires that a large carrier have at least two so if one goes down for whatever reason, you can relocate the operation and hopefully continue without a hitch. I worked at a small non-scheduled CRAF operator and we had just one, so if we had a major problem there (think a fire), we'd be out of luck.

The major I am at now - we have a backup. One primary control center and one out on the suburbs before COVID we'd regularly exercise, now it is not touched so if we had to relocate, its essentially sterile. All of the other non-ops-control functions that were in the building where the primary control center is located were moved out so the only work groups in the control center building is the control center (ops, maintenance and the crew desk).
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

Insertnamehere

Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:26 am

cpl22586 wrote:

Is Jetblue's main operations center in their HQ in LIC?

Would be surprising if they did considering the price of NYC real estate, especially at that location which has been growing substantially in the last few years.

cpl22586

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:18 am

Insertnamehere wrote:
cpl22586 wrote:

Is Jetblue's main operations center in their HQ in LIC?

Would be surprising if they did considering the price of NYC real estate, especially at that location which has been growing substantially in the last few years.

Yepp B6's Operations Center is in their Headquarters in LIC. It really is amazing how much Long Island City has grown over the years with all the companies moving in and all the apartment buildings that are going up. Its just non-stop construction it seems. When B6 first moved in LIC wasnt the best of areas but since then has gotten a lot better supposedly security had to walk people to their cars.