Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

AVStar
Topic Author

A350 XWB's wing weight

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:54 am

Does anyone know the weight of A350 XWB'S wings?

flipdewaf

Re: A350 XWB's wing weight

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:56 am

There may be more specifying needed as to what you want to include in the wing figure:
Just the structure
The wing tips too
each wing individually
the centre box too
the control surfaces
the plumbing
the actuators and hydraulics

I sense however if we could even specify what we wanted to know more precisely we would end up still not knowing because those that do know aren't allowed to tell.

We can however estimate the wing weight and I use a method derived from the method established at Stanford university and using this method the estimated wing weight of the A359 wing is ~40t and the A351 is ~43t.

These figure include both wings and the center section as well as all the fixed fairings and aerodynmic surfaces. It doesnt include the controls, plumbing, hydraulics, pneumatic or anti ice.systems.

My references for the model that make up the breakdown of weight are based on older aircraft so not sure of the validity of the component breakdown in the more modern jets but the overall weight is modeled quite closely from the publicly available data points.

Hope this is helpful.

Fred

AVStar
Topic Author

Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:57 pm

Many thanks, Fred. I rarely visit this website, so didn't notice your reply until just now. We know that A359 (WV001)'s empty weight is 140t, including its two engines' weight of 14t in total. It was suggested that an aircraft's fuselage should have the same weight as that of its two wings. Is the conventional wisdom wrong in the A359 case?

Starlionblue

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:41 pm

AVStar wrote:
Many thanks, Fred. I rarely visit this website, so didn't notice your reply until just now. We know that A359 (WV001)'s empty weight is 140t, including its two engines' weight of 14t in total. It was suggested that an aircraft's fuselage should have the same weight as that of its two wings. Is the conventional wisdom wrong in the A359 case?

The empty weight of the A359 is significantly lower than 140t.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

AVStar
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:30 am

Thanks, Starlionblue. Then what is A359's EW?

Starlionblue

Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:59 am

AVStar wrote:

I don't know exactly, but I can infer from various company confidential documentation that it is significantly lower than 140t.

I cannot be more specific.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

AECM

Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:13 pm

I have posted this before on another topic, I found a picture in Twitter from a Finnair Captain flying one of their lastest A359 (OH-LWO) from DUB to HEL after a cargo flight. In the return leg to HEL the plane was empty (probably only two pilots on board) and in one of the pictures if we take into account the GW and FOB the DOW = 135,500 Kg.

https://twitter.com/MikaHissa/status/1261202402562265089

Regarding OEW it should be around 134,000 Kg

zeke

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:15 pm

AVStar wrote:

There is a video of a Finnair A350-900 flight online, during the dispatch part of the video they show the paperwork for the flight, on it was displayed an empty weight of 134 tonnes.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

zeke

Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:17 pm

AECM wrote:
I have posted this before on another topic, I found a picture in Twitter from a Finnair Captain flying one of their lastest A359 (OH-LWO) from DUB to HEL after a cargo flight. In the return leg to HEL the plane was empty (probably only two pilots on board) and in one of the pictures if we take into account the GW and FOB the DOW = 135,500 Kg.

https://twitter.com/MikaHissa/status/1261202402562265089

Regarding OEW it should be around 134,000 Kg

Pictures like that are utterly embarrassing for those people who post on here the empty weight of the Finnair A350s are 144 tonnes.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Lifes

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:51 pm

Hello,

A bit of a lurker here and actual engineer with access to all A350s (I think) manuals. I can assure you that no A359 has a DOW above 135t.

In fact, they just about reach 140t if you account for crew, water (1t) catering and everything else that is no payload (pax, bags or cargo), which is what Airbus calls OEW.

As a bonus, you can add another 10t for A35K.

Please, stop all this nonsense about 140t A359s already.

Regards,

Lifes

zeke

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:48 pm

Lifes wrote:
Hello,

A bit of a lurker here and actual engineer with access to all A350s (I think) manuals. I can assure you that no A359 has a DOW above 135t.

In fact, they just about reach 140t if you account for crew, water (1t) catering and everything else that is no payload (pax, bags or cargo), which is what Airbus calls OEW.

As a bonus, you can add another 10t for A35K.

Please, stop all this nonsense about 140t A359s already.

Regards,

Lifes

This is perpetuated by what I think is one a.net member that goes around and changes the A350 wiki page every time the correct weights are listed. They then go around and list Wiki (which they modified to show an empty weight of 142.4 t, the photo above has the aircraft in cruise with a weight of 142.2 tonnes and still 6.7 tonnes of fuel remaining ) as the source for the weights they use, despite the actual source article referenced states around 135 tonnes.

Some people go so far to push their AvB agenda, the MEW of the A350 is around 120 tonnes, and yet we have had several posters claim the empty weight is around 25 tonnes heavier.

Lifes

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:53 am

zeke wrote:
the MEW of the A350 is around 120 tones.

This is correct, plus minus 1t. Early builds are obviously a bit heavier, later ones lighter.

Regards,

Lifes

flipdewaf

Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:10 pm

zeke wrote:

This is perpetuated by what I think is one a.net member that goes around and changes the A350 wiki page every time the correct weights are listed. They then go around and list Wiki (which they modified to show an empty weight of 142.4 t, the photo above has the aircraft in cruise with a weight of 142.2 tonnes and still 6.7 tonnes of fuel remaining ) as the source for the weights they use, despite the actual source article referenced states around 135 tonnes.

I tried to change the wiki article to show what is shown in the exact article referenced, i.e. the typical weights and the estimated weight, I added the estimated weight piece and and low and behold they deleted it and then complained that it lay within the boundaries of the typical so didn’t count. I even put a link to the picture of the fun air example and it was removed under the claim that the source was social media and that can’t be trusted. Obviously they misunderstood the different between source and host.

Luckily I am happy to out troll the trolls with truth. I might go back and edit again tonight, a furious troll is a very funny thing to see.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk