Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

e38
Topic Author

El Al ops

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:25 pm

As far as I remember, El Al traditionally suspended all flight operations during the period of the Jewish sabbath (sundown Friday until sundown Saturday).

However, recently I have seen on Flightradar24 El Al flights that are airborne during this period. The arrivals/departure display on FR24 also shows LY (and Israir) flights during this time frame.

Are these anomalies in Flightradar24 or has El Al had a policy change that permits LY flights on the sabbath?

e38

strfyr51

Re: El Al ops

Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:25 pm

e38 wrote:
As far as I remember, El Al traditionally suspended all flight operations during the period of the Jewish sabbath (sundown Friday until sundown Saturday).

However, recently I have seen on Flightradar24 El Al flights that are airborne during this period. The arrivals/departure display on FR24 also shows LY (and Israir) flights during this time frame.

Are these anomalies in Flightradar24 or has El Al had a policy change that permits LY flights on the sabbath?

e38

I know the reason EL-AL didn't fly but? were they making ends meet by NOT flying during that time? And Can they really afford to NOT be flying during that time? Because above all else? This IS a Busineess and it's not like Isreal has much of a domestic or regional operation.

JAGflyer

Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:22 am

El Al's flights right now appear to be primarily cargo-only (using passenger aircraft). They've even been flying to/from some irregular destinations for the purposes of bringing cargo (and previously repatriating Israeli citizens). I'm going to assume that El Al not flying on the sabbath was more for appearance reasons and due to the fact that a significant portion of their passengers are observant Jews who would not be travelling on the Sabbath. Believe it or not, the majority of Israeli society is not strictly observant of the Sabbath but the culture is that most do not work (businesses are mostly closed from Friday afternoon till Saturday evening/Sunday morning).
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

jetwet1

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:19 am

El Al do not flying on the Sabbath, however, it does wet lease it's aircraft and crew to Israir who do not observe the Sabbath, it's possible some 9f the flights you've seen are El Al aircraft but Is said flights.

e38
Topic Author

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:19 pm

jetwet1, thank you.

The wet lease explanation sounds reasonable.

e38

smithbs

Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:43 am

strfyr51 wrote:
e38 wrote:

e38

I know the reason EL-AL didn't fly but? were they making ends meet by NOT flying during that time? And Can they really afford to NOT be flying during that time? Because above all else? This IS a Busineess and it's not like Isreal has much of a domestic or regional operation.

One might say that one of El Al's markets is the Orthodox or 'kosher' market, and so observing the Sabbath is a part of that.