Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ayurdakok
Topic Author

how to assess engine run certifying staff

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:17 pm

hello everyone, iam working auditor in a Part 145 MRO. i worked 3 years as mechanic on aircrafts. now i will assess my company staffs to grant them engine run performer . before it, i need some examinations. because i have never experienced to perform Eng run, i don't know what questions should be, i have theoretical knowlege (AMM requirements, safety issues, task card handling, prepapreations, engine parameter logs,etc..)) but never seen it . is there anybody who can help me to prepare some question or is there any source to look at them?

thanks for

unimproved

Re: how to assess engine run certifying staff

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:47 pm

Seems pretty dangerous to give that task to someone with no experience in the field.

We use the pilot training simulators to do a yearly check on engine run staff. Basic things like a normal engine run, APU/engine fire, compressor stall, etc.

zeke

Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:50 pm

ayurdakok wrote:
hello everyone, iam working auditor in a Part 145 MRO. i worked 3 years as mechanic on aircrafts. now i will assess my company staffs to grant them engine run performer . before it, i need some examinations. because i have never experienced to perform Eng run, i don't know what questions should be, i have theoretical knowlege (AMM requirements, safety issues, task card handling, prepapreations, engine parameter logs,etc..)) but never seen it . is there anybody who can help me to prepare some question or is there any source to look at them?

thanks for

If you are an auditor you would be aware there must by a syllabus of training, competency based assessment, and continuing refresher and assessment for such a role.

Engines are expensive, if the engine run is not carried out correctly It could result in damage or even failure at a later stage. There is also the safety aspects to make sure people on the ground are safe and the aircraft will not run into anything.

The minimum start would be to send you off to get trained to do the role.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

strfyr51

Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:12 am

to assess run and taxi certification you need to first be run and taxi qualified yourself. First learn the run Limits for APU operation fire test ETC. ( the proceedure should be in the flight manual) cockpit setup for engine starting and which breakers must be set for safe , Then highaircraft operation. What are the emergency Ground signals in the event of a mishap?
what is the minimum battery voltage to even start the APU? Do you need the acft chocked? what is the outside condition for APU Starting? is the APU air starting system deferred?
if not? Will the APU Pneumatics run the ACFT air conditioning system? If it won't? does it have to? (the 787 is all electric is why I ask) . After all of that with the APU? what do you need to know to set up the Cockpit for APU and/or Engine start? Do you need the inertials powered up and Aligned? And what about EFIS? There are airplanes that require the cockpit to be ready to fly when powering up the engines. especially if you intend to taxi anywhere. . At My airline? we powered up everything when preparing to taxi even from Maintenance to the gate because if it wouldn't power up on the Ramp? then it might not power up at the gate.. Start with Idle Run, Then Idle run and Taxi, Then High power runs and checks. We got a shocker when we had to qualify the Continental guys to run United Airplanes after the merger and found out they didn't do it anywhere NEAR THE WAY we did it.
the United mechanics went to the simulator at DENTK every year to requalify for every airplane they were checked out to go High Power on. I had to go for Airbus, 737- 200/291 -322/522, .757-222. 767-222/322 .DC-10 -10 /30, 747-122/123, SP, -222B, 238. and later -422. We took a written and a simulator ride yearly up to me becoming a supervisor where I only had to make sure my crew was current so I only had to observe them once in a while. Not only were my A&P's run qualified but many of my R&E's as well.

FlyHossD

Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:27 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
to assess run and taxi certification you need to first be run and taxi qualified yourself. First learn the run Limits for APU operation fire test ETC. ( the proceedure should be in the flight manual) cockpit setup for engine starting and which breakers must be set for safe , Then highaircraft operation. What are the emergency Ground signals in the event of a mishap?
what is the minimum battery voltage to even start the APU? Do you need the acft chocked? what is the outside condition for APU Starting? is the APU air starting system deferred?
if not? Will the APU Pneumatics run the ACFT air conditioning system? If it won't? does it have to? (the 787 is all electric is why I ask) . After all of that with the APU? what do you need to know to set up the Cockpit for APU and/or Engine start? Do you need the inertials powered up and Aligned? And what about EFIS? There are airplanes that require the cockpit to be ready to fly when powering up the engines. especially if you intend to taxi anywhere. . At My airline? we powered up everything when preparing to taxi even from Maintenance to the gate because if it wouldn't power up on the Ramp? then it might not power up at the gate.. Start with Idle Run, Then Idle run and Taxi, Then High power runs and checks. We got a shocker when we had to qualify the Continental guys to run United Airplanes after the merger and found out they didn't do it anywhere NEAR THE WAY we did it.
the United mechanics went to the simulator at DENTK every year to requalify for every airplane they were checked out to go High Power on. I had to go for Airbus, 737- 200/291 -322/522, .757-222. 767-222/322 .DC-10 -10 /30, 747-122/123, SP, -222B, 238. and later -422. We took a written and a simulator ride yearly up to me becoming a supervisor where I only had to make sure my crew was current so I only had to observe them once in a while. Not only were my A&P's run qualified but many of my R&E's as well.

strfyr wrote:
"to (sic) assess run and taxi certification you need to first be run and taxi qualified yourself...

Start right there. Once you're qualifed, you'll have a far better idea of what other maintenance personnel will need for training, experience and testing.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

Lpbri

Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:57 am

One thing that trips most people is where to find the fuel load requirements for a high power run. Wind conditions are another. Where to find an airport diagram?. Ground handling checklist? Taxi speeds fail a lot of check outs.

fr8mech

Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:14 am

Ok, so this sounds kind of strange, because you should know this stuff if you're in the business.

What kind of MRO are you? Heavy jet (air transport)? In that case, your customer should have all the information you need. I know our MRO's have to be qualified under our procedures in order to run and taxi our aircraft.

You should check with your customers to see how they assess their own people and mirror them.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere