Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airboeingbus
Topic Author

Are the displays in the 777 Interchangeable?

Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:38 pm

I've noticed in the 777 the cockpit displays seem to have a thumb screw and releaseable lever mechinism to alow them to be removed easily. Is this to allow "hot-swapping" of a display in an emergancy situation if one of them fails?

You can see from the picture below at the bottom of the display unit

Horstroad

Re: Are the displays in the 777 Interchangeable?

Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:24 pm

Yes. All 6 display units are interchangeable.

edit: It's not meant for pilots to swap them. But they may be swapped by technicians on the ground to be MEL compliant
edit2: here is the MEL:
One may be inoperative in the lower center DU position.

1. The six display units are interchangeable. If the inoperative display unit is in a location other than the lower center position, it can be replaced with the operative unit from the lower center position.
2. For a non-video capable display unit is installed in the left or right inboard or in the lower center display locations, ground maneuver camera video will not be available on that display.
3. Refer to AMM 31-61-01/401 for DU removal and installation procedures.

bradyj23

Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:24 am

They get changed regularly. You will often see burn in from where the screen used to be. But they get swapped to try and prevent this.

Horstroad

Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:49 am

bradyj23 wrote:
They get changed regularly. You will often see burn in from where the screen used to be. But they get swapped to try and prevent this.

We don't do that. Not that I'm aware of at least. And I've never seen burn in. Did they use a different part number earlier? Did they changed it when they upgraded from AIMS-1 to AIMS-2?

bradyj23

Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:23 pm

Horstroad wrote:
bradyj23 wrote:

We don't do that. Not that I'm aware of at least. And I've never seen burn in. Did they use a different part number earlier? Did they changed it when they upgraded from AIMS-1 to AIMS-2?

Interesting. I see burn in on the 737 and saw it on the CRJ series. Figured the 737 was the same as the 777. My fault.

744lover

Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:02 pm

There's a big difference between the 737 and 777 display screens: until the classics (-300/-400/-500), the 737 used CRT screens which suffer from the "burning" effect. The NGs, 777 and newer 747-400 versions use LCD screens, which do not show the screen burning.

BR,
744lover

unimproved

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:47 am

The screen can be swapped to any position since it's just a "dumb" LCD panel. Whatever you see on it is generated downstairs (and can be moved to a different screen location with a button).