Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Brystar45
Topic Author

College Graduate looking for my future in Aerospace/ Aviation but in a dilemma? Pursing the American Dream.

Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:15 pm

Hello everyone!!!!

My name is Bryant, i am currently 33 years, I am a college graduate of Miami Dade College, Miami, Florida, USA. Got my Bachelors of Applied Science (BAS) Supervision and Management degree, now I feel that I am at a crossroads or something? I really want to go to Embry-Riddle and go for Aeronautics but it turns out that Embry-Riddle is a very expensive University and I don't have the funds for that, and its a University where I want to go because alot of my Aviation professors have talked about it and its made me curious to go for it!!!!! There is also Purdue University that I am considering as well.

I see myself being involved with NASA, FAA, NOAA, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, FAI, Reno Air Races and many more. I want to be in the Industry already, I feel I am ready that I can take on the world, that i will be known and I dream of traveling and flying, I want to travel the world too!!!!!! And I love traveling and flying!!!!!!!

I have the strong passion and desire to be in the Aeronautics/ Aviation Industry but the thing is I don't have the finances for that at all. I am looking for ways on how to do this, the question is how? And what I can do to contribute to this amazing and awesome Industry to become a part of it.

I have been to Sun N Fun two times and I felt in love with it and I want to continue contributing to to this amazing Industry and that i can make a name for myself.

For one I am thinking of going to Flight Operations aka Aircraft Dispatch, and I am glad that Miami Dade College offers the course!!!!!! But I am afraid that it will be delayed which hurts me because I am looking forward for that to start but its cheaper to do so too!!!!! And my foot in the door to entering the Aerospace Industry. Also I was thinking of being an ATC but the thing is i view it as impossible because of my age now since the cut off age is 31. Which bummed the heck of me, I keep getting the doors slammed on me, but I don't understand why, I have alot of potential and I want to utilize it. Are people afraid of me???

The Military is another option in which I am not sure yet because of my physical, I have had asthma since i was a kid but its mostly have gone away since then but it can still come back, they told me that to be a pilot in the Air Force the cut off age is 28 and i am way past it, and of my weight issue as well.

But the thing is that I know I am in a situation where I want to be more involved meaning I want to be employed, I work in retail currently but I don't see myself there, I want to go for my Passion and Love and for me that is Aeronautics, Aviation and all that. I love the history, lore and more of Aircrafts, Airports, Spaceports, Rockets and more!!!!!! I Love Meteorology as well!!!!!!

I would like to be a pilot but i found out its super expensive for me to do so, but I do want to do it on the side if its possible.

I am also looking into other agencies related to Aviation like AIN, Simple Flying and more, trying to see if I can work Remotely in the meanwhile at least to get my foot in the door and all that, I just find it weird, I am passionate, I have a strong desire, I want to be involved, but I don't know how I can get into the door. I am a College Graduate and I am ready.

I am also working on a passion project as well and it involves with Aviation/ Aeronautics too, I am hoping i can get it published eventually.

Please I need help and guidance, i am suffering because I am not where I am and want to be in my careers already, but so far nothing is happening and its making me anxious and worried about my future on where i am going to go. I don't know if i am reaching out to the right people or not? But I am crying for help, I feel like all of this is confusing me, I am trying to reach out but not alot of people want to answer, I need a future I want to be established.

The point of this is that I want my career to be in this Industry to be with Airplanes, Airports and more and I am trying to find a way to get there, I am finished with Community College got my degrees and I am ready to move on to my next chapter in life, and I want to go for my American Dream.
Going for my goals and dreams in life, to be able to achieve the American Dream.

Starlionblue

Re: College Graduate looking for my future in Aerospace/ Aviation but in a dilemma??? Pursing the American Dream.

Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:09 am

Don't overthink it at this stage.
- Initially, take any job offered in the field, even if it is something like washing the planes. Getting your foot in the door is key.
- Work hard and don't complain.
- Don't make enemies.
- Volunteer at events.
- Find ways to increase your skills in your free time. This doesn't even need to be a formal course. Books are available to all.

Brystar45 wrote:
H

For one I am thinking of going to Flight Operations aka Aircraft Dispatch, and I am glad that Miami Dade College offers the course!!!!!! But I am afraid that it will be delayed which hurts me because I am looking forward for that to start but its cheaper to do so too!!!!! And my foot in the door to entering the Aerospace Industry. Also I was thinking of being an ATC but the thing is i view it as impossible because of my age now since the cut off age is 31. Which bummed the heck of me, I keep getting the doors slammed on me, but I don't understand why, I have alot of potential and I want to utilize it. Are people afraid of me???

There are many qualified candidates for attractive jobs. It isn't personal. A little luck, as well as ability, is needed at the entry level. You can often ask a potential employer why you weren't selected for a job, as long as you do it humbly. Knowing how to take criticism, and using it to improve yourself, is a key skill.

Side note based on your post: Work on your writing skills. Concise, structured, and focused are important when it comes to work communication.

Good luck!
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Brystar45
Topic Author

Re: College Graduate looking for my future in Aerospace/ Aviation but in a dilemma??? Pursing the American Dream.

Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:19 am

Please forgive me of this, its just that i need direction, I am looking at options on what I can do, I am willing to do what I can to go for my goals, but I don't know how to do it.

I have taken some Aviation courses in the past along with Meteorology as well at the College. Also have taken Flight Lessons as well in the Past but it proved to be too expensive for me to be able to continue. But I continued with College and graduated from it.

I am communicating with a bunch of Websites and my Professors about this because I need direction.
Going for my goals and dreams in life, to be able to achieve the American Dream.

N965UW

Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:42 am

Welcome to A.net from one new member to another!

The first thing to realize is that the possibilities are endless in the aerospace/aviation world. You can make it a career, a hobby, or a bit of both. There are operational roles (pilot, FA, ATC, ramper, etc.) and an even more diverse field of "behind the scenes" jobs (management, customer service, engineering, policy, finance, etc.). The "industry" ranges from the smallest FBOs and parts suppliers to the big names, such as American Airlines and Boeing. The first step is deciding where in this puzzle you'd like to see yourself.

Recognize that you can still follow your passion of aviation without necessarily making a career out of it. Some people think that monetizing your passions makes you lose some interest in them, and that goes for any career field. There's no shame in making this your hobby. On the other hand, many people with aviation careers absolutely love their jobs. The choice is personal.

You should assess your current strengths and how they can translate to aviation. You have a degree in Supervision & Management. That could be useful for a role at an airline's corporate office or managing a smaller contractor's business operations. If you have any other skills, look into how they can be applied, even if at first it seems like they have nothing to do with aviation. A graduate degree may or may not be a plus. It's certainly not necessary to attend Embry-Riddle to get your foot in the door. Another option is to take your degree and build a non-aviation career with it, then treat aviation as a hobby as stated above.

It's also important to decide what you want your future to look like and assess any risk. A lot of aviation careers involve moving frequently, spending lots of time away from home and family, and are subject to the vicious boom-and-bust cycle that is the airline business. Some careers can be ended by losing a medical. Others have great quality of life and good job security.

It's no secret that the market isn't great right now, so you may not have instant luck in finding a position. You can still volunteer to the extent practical given the circumstances, and who knows, that may lead to something bigger while making connections. Patience is definitely required at the moment.

My own story is similar to yours, and it may provide some perspective. I, like you, went through a period of uncertainty and burning desire to enter the industry. I went through a phase of wanting to be a commercial pilot at any cost (back when the market was booming I might add), but after further reflection I saw that the lifestyle wasn't for me and I was going elsewhere. My first job out of college was doing procurement for a cargo airline. I landed that job with a B.A. in political science and no business experience. My passion and knowledge of the industry is what got me through the door. I've since decided to pursue a career in law (possibly specializing in aviation law, but something like estate planning works too). I joined the Civil Air Patrol, the volunteer civilian auxiliary of the Air Force and earned my wings as an aircrew member. One day I would like to get a pilot's license and fly for fun. Whether aviation becomes a paying career for me or not, I'll still find ways to enjoy it.

Best of luck. The sky is truly the limit.

Brystar45
Topic Author

Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:48 am

I am sorry about that I feel I do overthink alot, its just that i am trying to see that I can go for a future. On another note the problem I have is that I speak as I write so please forgive me of that even though I been thru College. So your right I do have to fix up the grammar.

I am currently taking evaluations on that, Its just that I don't see in Retail for the rest of my life, I am ready to be in the Industry I want to be already.
Plus that Flight Operations Officer Training that my College offers sounds like an awesome way of doing so, I am hoping I can enroll for the fall semester.

Plus I am planning on Embry-Riddle or Purdue Universities to receive my Masters Degree. I am hoping I can reach to NASA, FAA, NOAA, Boeing and more.

I do have ambitions but i do want to achieve at least the most of what I am capable of. I am deeply sorry that my initial post was too long.

Starlionblue

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:02 am

Ambition is a good start. As long as you're willing to work hard for long periods of time you will be able to achieve things. To be honest, most people are just not willing to put in the work to seriously push themselves.

Do you have a solid method of studying and working? Obviously you got your degree so you have something, but typically if you want to do really well you need to up your game from that. I had a degree already when learning to fly and I needed to review my study and work methods. Then when I got a job at the airline I needed to do do it again.

There are many ways to study and work, and you need to find what works for you.

Brystar45 wrote:
I am sorry about that I feel I do overthink alot, its just that i am trying to see that I can go for a future. On another note the problem I have is that I speak as I write so please forgive me of that even though I been thru College. So your right I do have to fix up the grammar.

I am currently taking evaluations on that, Its just that I don't see in Retail for the rest of my life, I am ready to be in the Industry I want to be already.
Plus that Flight Operations Officer Training that my College offers sounds like an awesome way of doing so, I am hoping I can enroll for the fall semester.

Plus I am planning on Embry-Riddle or Purdue Universities to receive my Masters Degree. I am hoping I can reach to NASA, FAA, NOAA, Boeing and more.

I do have ambitions but i do want to achieve at least the most of what I am capable of. I am deeply sorry that my initial post was too long.

No need to apologise. Your passion is clear from the post. Just giving some feedback.

We are all constantly a work in progress. One common method of improving is simply to carry a notebook around and jot down things we want to improve, things we are told to improve, and things we didn't do so well. By doing so we can structure a plan for how to improve these things. If you're not very inclined to write on paper, note-taking apps like Evernote can be very helpful. I personally like handwriting because it feels I retain things better. Also, it forces me to slow down. But to each their own.

As one instructor told me, "When you make mistakes, take the feedback, then fix and move on."
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Woodreau

Re: College Graduate looking for my future in Aerospace/ Aviation but in a dilemma? Pursing the American Dream.

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:07 am

Aviation is a diverse field..... just addressing specific points from your posts.

If you are in retail now, maybe you can see if you can get employed at an FBO at any of the airports in the South Florida area. That would get you in. Man the front desk, be a fueler, get to talk to aircraft mechanics and pilots. To see where your interests lie.

To get further than that you’ll need to get some FAA certificates.

Dispatcher certificate if you’re wanting to get into flight following dispatching.
A&P certificate if you want to become a mechanic
ATP certificate (and all of the prerequisite private, commercial, instrument certificates before the atp) to become a pilot.

Although the road to pilot can be expensive, people with lesser means have found a way to overcome the money aspect.

You don’t necessarily need another bachelors degree or a masters degree... to me I can see a potential danger in just going to school to keep getting more degrees, that don’t necessarily advance your career. You’re already expressed a concern about cost, so weigh whether the degrees you are contemplating help you advance or achieve your goals and whether they are worth the cost....

personally. (As a pilot) I don’t see any benefit of getting any degree from Embry Riddle. There are many pilots who work in the industry who never attended Embry Riddle. I think the only thing you get from Embry Riddle is a large student loan anchor that you’ll struggle to pay back during the First few years as a commercial pilot.

If you already have a college degree, and you want to be a pilot, you don’t need any more college degrees, you just need to buckle down and get your pilot certificates as cheaply as you can get them. The only thing that matters is getting the ATP certificate.

So take an inventory of where your interest lies, pick one and try to focus on a few aspects to see where it goes.

I wouldn’t take that flight operations course unless it gets you a Aircraft dispatcher certificate from the FAA. And once you get it, start looking for entry level dispatcher positions all those 135 companies in South Florida.

I have a friend who was a flight attendant. She thought that was all she could do, she didn’t think she was smart enough to be a pilot. until one day a pilot told her that she could be a pilot. It took her a while to come up with the money, but now she’s a pilot.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Brystar45
Topic Author

Re: College Graduate looking for my future in Aerospace/ Aviation but in a dilemma? Pursing the American Dream.

Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:14 am

Ahhh these are amazing Advises thank you!!!!! And your right I have to be careful where I go, but I am certain with some of my choices. But I thought Degrees benefit the person as well?

Alot of people have talked about Embry-Riddle being the best and its what I have always been told from my Aviation Professors but I can understand what you mean, I will be more in debt, if i am not careful, plus alot of journals and people have said Embry-Riddle is the best, Although I also like Purdue as well. But Purdue has Aviation and Aerospace Management for the Masters.

Also how is it that I could get a Pilots License without breaking the bank? I would love to fly but i don't want to go for the Airlines, that it will be something extra on the side. I wish I can own a P-51 Mustang, A DC-3 and so forth or just be able to fly those.

But never the less I will try to get the money to be able to once I am much more established, I don't feel I am ready yet or maybe I could be wrong?

And an A&P License sounds great but I am not mechanic or technician at all, I can direct, lead, give orders and command things, I can overlook things and see what the problem is, I am a People's Person, which is where my Bachelor's Degree comes in, I feel more like i can take command of something, like a leader. Another thing I am not is that I am not an Engineer at all, which makes it a bummer because Boeing and alot of these companies needs Engineers, NASA included.

I know George T. Baker is a great school for Mechanics but I am not one unfortunately, and thats a bummer too because I saw that many places are hiring but they say Mechanics.

Its why I look at the Flight Dispatch License, I thought this could be my Ticket to NASA, It will get me the experience and being able to go for my Masters to be able to Land at NASA, NOAA, FAA and so forth. I am still evaluating my options on how I can get to NASA, FAA, NOAA and so forth? But I am glad to be able to come on here.

Starlionblue

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:19 am

Pilot training is costly, but you can make it more efficient money-wise. The efficient way to get your licenses is to do it in "chunks". Don't fly once or twice times a week. That just means lots of extra time repeating and not consolidating. Save up, take a few weeks off, and fly two or three times a day. This method ensures maximum training in minimal time, and thus minimal money.

You can do your Private Pilot License in 2-3 weeks if you commit to it and do the requisite study beforehand. Then you can build hours and experience for a bit at an easier pace, and come back for your instrument rating in the next chunk 2 week chunk, again having studied beforehand.

Pick a place with good weather, like Florida.

Employers don't really care if you went to Embry-Riddle or a mom and pop aviation school. They care about attitude, commitment and hard work. That being said, name schools like that do tend to have connections at the airlines.

Woodreau wrote:

I have a friend who was a flight attendant. She thought that was all she could do, she didn’t think she was smart enough to be a pilot. until one day a pilot told her that she could be a pilot. It took her a while to come up with the money, but now she’s a pilot.

There are quite a few of those. Also dispatchers, load controllers, ground staff who became pilots.

They know the operation already from at least one perspective, and they can build contacts at the company. Plus as cabin crew, for example, you can learn a lot just by observing and asking questions. This is a big advantage both during the interview process and after hire.

stratosphere

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:05 pm

Brystar45 wrote:
Ahhh these are amazing Advises thank you!!!!! And your right I have to be careful where I go, but I am certain with some of my choices. But I thought Degrees benefit the person as well?

Alot of people have talked about Embry-Riddle being the best and its what I have always been told from my Aviation Professors but I can understand what you mean, I will be more in debt, if i am not careful, plus alot of journals and people have said Embry-Riddle is the best, Although I also like Purdue as well. But Purdue has Aviation and Aerospace Management for the Masters.

Also how is it that I could get a Pilots License without breaking the bank? I would love to fly but i don't want to go for the Airlines, that it will be something extra on the side. I wish I can own a P-51 Mustang, A DC-3 and so forth or just be able to fly those.

But never the less I will try to get the money to be able to once I am much more established, I don't feel I am ready yet or maybe I could be wrong?

And an A&P License sounds great but I am not mechanic or technician at all, I can direct, lead, give orders and command things, I can overlook things and see what the problem is, I am a People's Person, which is where my Bachelor's Degree comes in, I feel more like i can take command of something, like a leader. Another thing I am not is that I am not an Engineer at all, which makes it a bummer because Boeing and alot of these companies needs Engineers, NASA included.

I know George T. Baker is a great school for Mechanics but I am not one unfortunately, and thats a bummer too because I saw that many places are hiring but they say Mechanics.

Its why I look at the Flight Dispatch License, I thought this could be my Ticket to NASA, It will get me the experience and being able to go for my Masters to be able to Land at NASA, NOAA, FAA and so forth. I am still evaluating my options on how I can get to NASA, FAA, NOAA and so forth? But I am glad to be able to come on here.

Welcome.. Well you mention expense a lot in your posts. If you really want to get into aviation the fastest and least expensive FAA certificate you can get is the Dispatch you can usually do a full course in 6 weeks vs 12 to 18 months for an [email protected] and the pilot certs time and money vary depending on how much money you are willing to spend. You already have a degree if you really want to fly the military might be an option for you I do not know if your asthma would prevent you from military flying tho. If you choose dispatch you are going to finish in a few months and things right now are not good for people right out of school due to COVID-19. Same for an [email protected] also aircraft mechanics usually get into that field already are mechanically inclined or have that interest before going to school. Like people said there are plenty of jobs in aviation you might go into one field and find out you like an another one. You have a degree that is a great start you might want to get a job as a line service guy at an FBO or some other entry level airline job look around talk to people talk to pilots and others at the airshow events like sun and fun see what peaks your interest. I have been an [email protected] for 35 years if I had it to do over I would have gone the dispatch route. Only drawback to dispatch is they are a small group compared to other groups in aviation and out of them only a small fraction make it to the major airlines where the good money is. With corona virus hanging around everything is an unknown right now.. Good Luck in your endeavors.

Woodreau

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:08 pm

Degrees are good but in the end it’s experience that matters

If you’re set on NASA, NOAA, FAA, what aspect of those organizations are you interested in? They are large organizations and not everyone in those entities are aviation related.

Have you checked usajobs.gov for those organizations? You’ll find the entry level jobs and the senior level jobs that have prerequisites. Seeing those might help you figure out what training or what degree you need. But you already have a bachelors so I don’t see you need to go back to get another bachelors. You need experience

As an example one of the astronaut candidates accepted in the last class of NASA astronauts. She’s never flown an airplane. Her career was in submarines. But NASA feels her experience in long duration isolation aboard a submarine is relevant for something and enabled her to be selected over 11,000 other equally qualified candidates. I don’t know maybe long duration manned missions to Mars maybe?
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Brystar45
Topic Author

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:51 am

Thats why i am thinking of the Flight Dispatch option it can be my ticket to get more exposed, and be able to become more involved and then go along with a Company or organization and that way i can maybe get Tuition Reimbursement to get me thru Embry-Riddle. I know a friend of mines from the College I have came from, Miami Dade College and she came from the Aviation program and I told her of my situation and she agrees with me, She is currently a pilot working for a regional airline.

By the way i have taken Aviation courses in College like Meteorology, Pilot Theory, Commercial, Aerospace history and so forth so i have some relevant courses I have taken. Although my Major is not Aviation based i always centered around Aviation.

My Capstone Project was about Aviation and one of my professors loved that and I was able to pass the course but a recent film inspired me of my Capstone project as well.

As far as Pilot on the side, I am still exploring that option but its not final yet.

I talked with my mother about it because I live with my Mother and she loved the idea, so I am happy to be getting a support, because first and foremost what is more important is that I need to be established first before I venture into those things.

So first and foremost is to get exposure and experience more, so it means to get some training and to get the License for me to be able to work.

Also NASA and NOAA has Aviation related areas too as well, NASA has the Aeronautics side, and NOAA has the Aviation side well both are the same anyways. So I will try with them but on the Aeronautics side. Plus NASA doesn't just get astronauts they get a whole lot of people they are open to many things so I am ok with that, NOAA and FAA as well.

Also on the side I am in the process of developing a story and publishing it in the meanwhile, Aviation is a big theme to it. So no matter what I do, Aviation/ Aeronautics will always come to me in a way.

But I am really loving these advises and the website in general Its very helpful, i want to say thank you its amazing and very well thought out.

Dalmd88

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:22 am

If I was in your shoes I would stay away from being a pilot. Your age is working against you on this part of aviation. You would spend a bunch of money and take a long time getting your certs. Then likely you will spend a good portion of your career gaining the hours at very low wages to get a 'good' flying job. Do you want to be 40 and still eating ramen noodles because your broke?

I'm an A&P. It's a good field and if you get hired by a major the money is pretty good. Like others have said about 18 months to get your certs. I went to Embry-Riddle. Don't go there for an A&P! You can get just as good of a education for this field at a community college or local tech school in less time for a lot less money. Is it right for you? Do you like to fix stuff? Did you every disassemble a lawnmower and reassemble it just for fun? Do you like to work midnight shift for possibly the rest of your life? it's not for everybody.

Operations side of the field? You already have a degree in something. That says a lot. You don't need an aviation specific one. The dispatch cert is a good way to get your foot in the door of an airline be it passenger or cargo. Yes, cargo. That is the single best thing going right now in aviation.That is were the jobs will be found the short term. UPS and FedEx are making money. Same likely with the smaller cargo outfits.

MSJYOP28Apilot

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:37 am

Firstly, most aviation fields are seniority based. Almost every workgroup is likely to see large furloughs and will not be hiring for quite a while. For someone like you with no certifications, it could take many years just to obtain the first job. There is a good chance that you will be in your 40s before you can get a major airline job in a career field that pays well. As a new hire in your 40s at a major, you will likely spend several years if not a decade working the days and hours that more senior employees do not want.

Secondly, you will need to move from Miami if you want a good career job. If you go the pilot or FA route, Florida bases tend to be more popular and thus often trend more senior. If you go the dispatch route, there are not many options in Florida for a long term career. Spirit is planning to move their HQ from South Florida to Nashville as soon as COVID is under control. All that remains will be smaller corporate and cargo carrier that pay entry level wages with poor work rules.

FA jobs at the regionals are usually easy to obtain. Those will open up first. Major airlines will depend on furlough and re-calls. It could be a while.

In general, the low wage airport jobs that usually see high turnover will most likely be the first to open up. Those jobs are good ways to make money and build a reputation. You can often move internally to other jobs if you perform well. If money is an issue, look for ramper or customer service jobs and build money to pay for licensing courses.

Starting at age 33 normally would not be a huge issue but this is one of the worst job markets in the history of aviation. It could be quite a while before airlines both regional and major hire. Cargo is an option but compared to passenger is a much smaller part of the business. Cargo airlines will all have a large supply of furloughed passenger employees to choose from for quite a long while.

Aviation is a field you need to be flexible in to make it work. It is a 24/7, 365 business and you have to be willing to move to where the jobs are.

Brystar45
Topic Author

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:07 am

I wish I could move out of Miami, but the thing is that I cannot at the moment, because I have to attend with my Mother here, my mother is getting older and I got to be by her side. Plus she is supporting me of my decisions so I cannot leave her like that. I am in Miami because my family is here.

Also the pilot route I want to make it clear its Not for the Airlines, its just to have another license on the side, No Airlines just to fly small planes like a P-51 and so forth, like to be at EAA Oshkosh, AOPA, Sun N Fun and so forth. Just for me to go to Commercial and thats it, I want to be able to fly my own plane in the future like Harrison Ford and John Travolta does.

Thats why I am debating on whether I should go to get the Dispatch License or to go to Embry-Riddle or Purdue to advance my education more, because something has got to give I cannot stay in the house and not do anything.

I get what your talking about but I have said it before, I am not a mechanic, I am not an Engineer, I am not a Technician, So what is that I can do? I can lead, I can command, I can take charge, I can manage, I can do things, I can give orders and so forth, I can use all that i learned and apply it to Aviation/ Aeronautics and thats what I want to do, to go for what I want to go after.

I don't think Aviation is that limiting, isn't it broader? I mean I have seen Potential In Embry-Riddle, Purdue and so forth, although alot of my Aviation professors have recommended Embry-Riddle. I am not saying I will be a pilot there but going for the Aeronautics Area and maybe Specialty with Aviation Safety or Aviation Sustainability?

But I don't get it, They say Embry-Riddle is the best University but some people say it isn't? I am really confused here?

Yes Cargo is an awesome way I can go as well, Maybe UPS, DHL, Fed-Ex, Boeing and so forth can help me advance my career, I really want to go for the Aeronautics department of NASA or the Aviation Department of NOAA, FAA, I can be a Flight Dispatch there as well and maybe with Tuition Reimbursement they can help me go to Embry-Riddle, Purdue and so forth, hopefully if that works out.

SAAFNAV

Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:09 pm

Brystar45 wrote:
Also the pilot route I want to make it clear its Not for the Airlines, its just to have another license on the side, No Airlines just to fly small planes like a P-51 and so forth, like to be at EAA Oshkosh, AOPA, Sun N Fun and so forth.

Don't we all...

If you want to fly planes for fun, do what John Travolta and Harrison Ford did - stay away from aviation.
Get a real job, get money, fly what you want :biggrin:
CFI/Gr. III, L-382 Loadmaster, ex C-130B Navigator

Brystar45
Topic Author

Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:24 am

So from what i gathered is that I cannot be a pilot at the moment, I understand that and thats ok.

But I can still be involved and be a part of Aviation and Aeronautics as well. It doesn't involve becoming a pilot, sure maybe I am not going to be able to fly a plane but i still have positive outcomes of this Industry, that I feel the sky is not the limit, But I can still go as a passenger as well and fly more often.

I think if anything I am going to go for the Dispatch Route, My life right now I need Establishment and at my age I need something that can achieve, I am not planning on dispatch being a long term career its for me to get my footing in the door that way I can go for my Masters in a University like Embry-Riddle or Purdue which ever one i choose but I will do it with Tuition reimbursement.

That way I will be much more professional along with experience as well, I have alot of ideas that can change things around for Aeronautics and I am going to put them to work. And this Industry needs a new generation of people who believe in flying.

I am also looking to see if i can work remotely in a way I can be more involved but around the South Florida area or in my own home, since that is the norm now with this whole "COVID" thing. Its why I am talking to companies like AIN, Simple Flying, Airways and many more.

Plus I am in the works of developing my own stories and publishing it as well.

So that way I can still make it to NASA, NOAA, FAA, ICAO, IATA and FAI as well. and more with the experiences that i get thru out my life, so overall I am trying to do things but Pilot is not in the cards for me at the moment.

Maybe later in life when my life is much much more established, now i don't see it, I have my Passion but i will use my Passion in a smarter more tactical way.

FGITD

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:15 am

Hate to say it, but if you aren’t willing to move around a bit, aviation might not be a great fit for you. It's part of the reason a lot of aviation professionals started off young when they could up and go at a moment's notice. In my case I lucked out and got a job near home, then managed to move up a few levels to a more comfortable place where I'm content. But now if I want to keep moving up, there's no choice but to move away.

My advice is to get yourself a job outside aviation. It'll offer more stability, most likely pay better, and will offer more flexibility to remain at home (you say you care for your mother, which in my opinion is a noble thing and very important) and then get yourself a part time job working the ramp, pax service, something basic. You'll keep your passion for aviation too.

Aviation is a fun game to play, it's rewarding, risky, and never dull. I worked my tail off to get where I am now, And it took a lot of long days, late nights, and enduring some miserable weather. But at the end of the day, a job is a job. I love it, and I'm proud of every flight I've handled, but I'll be damned if there weren't many days where I got so sick and tired of airplanes.

Starlionblue

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:58 am

FGITD wrote:
Hate to say it, but if you aren’t willing to move around a bit, aviation might not be a great fit for you. It's part of the reason a lot of aviation professionals started off young when they could up and go at a moment's notice. In my case I lucked out and got a job near home, then managed to move up a few levels to a more comfortable place where I'm content. But now if I want to keep moving up, there's no choice but to move away.

Most definitely. And on that note, don't hesitate to look for opportunities abroad. Some people stay expats for the rest of their careers. Others go back home after a few years. Either way, working abroad will be a learning experience.

Brystar45
Topic Author

Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:48 am

Thats very true and your right I have to look for opportunities abroad but at the moment I cannot yet but once I am settled have the FAA Dispatch license and get the experience I need and be able to advance my career in Aeronautics and so forth then yeah its a possibility. So I am not ruling out opportunities elsewhere because I know I have to do it, I will have to travel which is fine, I love to travel and fly, But I have to find a way on how I can help my Mother as well so there has to be a balance, but I think it can be achievable.

I understand with NASA and the others I would have to move out which is fine but those agencies are my end goals not my immediate goals, Right now I got to focus is on the Present and what I can do to achieve it, using the information I am gathering and taking action of it. But I know that I will make it there, some way some how I will, maybe not as an astronaut or a pilot, but be somebody important which is involved with the Industry.

Plus I got my Associates, I got a certificate from Ground School Private Pilot, I got a Volunteer award, and now I got my Bachelor's Degree, once i get my FAA (Dispatch) License then it will be more on my Portfolio and it helps it even more. Like some of you said I got to apply my degrees to use right well I will do just that.

Aviation/ Aeronautics will be a part of my Career, I am not taking that off the Mantle please be aware of it, I will find a way to get in, I am always a believer that "If there is a will, there is a way." It won't be easy, but its not impossible, My Professors and my mother taught me that I have potential and that I can make it. Sure there is things like this "COVID" But I am not letting no one take my goals away, I am determined to make it there no matter how many years and times it will take me, but I am not giving up. I am going to be somebody important, I have bright ideas and I am going to put them to work, I am going to go for my goals.

I hope I am making sense and I don't know if I confused people on here or no? And please I am sorry for this long post.

FGITD

Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:02 am

I think you need a more clearly defined process and goal to work towards. You're all over the place

Getting your dispatch license is good and all, but it leads you to dispatching and that's pretty much it.

I think what I'm getting confused by is that it seems like you're looking to stack up certificates, licenses and apparently degrees, with the hope that it'll help you get your foot in the door, regardless of their relevance.

Having your pilots license may help you get a dispatch license, but only because of your exposure to aeronautics/civil Aviation. But when you apply for a job, they're looking for a dispatcher-not a pilot, so that pilot license is effectively useless to the airline, and therefore you.

In regards to your NASA aspirations...what exactly would you like to do for them? They're a big employer, and everyone from the guy emptying the trash to the one riding the rocket are NASA employees. But most skills that you'd use to work in the airline world don't really transfer to NASA. The "faces" of NASA, people like the astronauts and flight controllers usually have extremely science and engineering heavy backgrounds, usually with flight testing mixed in. I've known a few people who went down that path, and they certainly didn't get there by tossing bags on the ramp like I did. They're also the type who were saying in 1st grade that they wanted to work in the flight guidance desk in Houston. Far from your average person...

It's good you want to work in aviation, but that's a broad goal. It's certainly attainable, but you need to know what you want to do

e38

Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:50 am

Bryant, I think you have received very good advice.

In almost every response you've written, you mention attending Embry-Riddle or Purdue University. Yes, they are both fine universities, but at this point in your life, you already have a four-year degree from an accredited college, so attending either ERAU or Purdue is not going to provide you any added value. Perhaps later in life, but right now, it sounds like you just want to get started with a career in aviation.

Here are a few recommendations:

First, sit down with a pencil and a piece of paper and make a list of aviation positions that you are interested in. You need to be specific. You cannot just say, "I want to have a career in aviation" because that is way too broad. Also, do not write down careers for which you are not qualified for because of age--for example, Air Traffic Control or military pilot--or because of education or training such as engineer or A&P mechanic. Your list should be realistic.

In your opening thread you stated, " I am thinking of going to Flight Operations aka Aircraft Dispatch."

Bryant, I think that is an excellent idea; particularly if that is offered at Miami Dade College. Becoming a flight dispatcher would be an excellent start to an aviation career.

You stated you are currently in retail. Perhaps Reno Air Races or Fun N Sun could use somebody with your skills in marketing and advertising.

Does Miami Dade College have a "job placement center" or a "career counseling center?" When possible, make an appointment with them and sit down and talk with them about aviation career paths. They may be able to provide you some contacts or help give you some direction.

Try to establish a "network" or group of "contacts" in aviation. Talk with people who work in the industry. I know there are quite a few general aviation (GA) airports in south Florida, for example Miami Executive, Opa Locka, Fort Lauderdale Executive, etc. Perhaps you could visit with some of the airport managers or managers of the FBOs at those airports and find out how they got to their positions. They might also be able to give you some recommendations or provide additional contacts.

You mentioned working for the FAA, NASA, NOAA, Boeing, Lockheed, etc. Go to their websites, look under "careers" or "job openings" and see what positions they have for which you are qualified. Remember, Bryant, don't just say, "I want to work for NASA/FAA/Boeing," but what specifically would you want to do for them. Maybe their websites will give you some ideas.

And finally, you stated in a previous post, "I can lead, I can command, I can take charge, I can manage."

Bryant, go talk to a military recruiter as well--perhaps an Air Force Recruiter since you are interested in aviation. The qualities you stated--lead, command, manage--well that's what being a military officer is all about. You may be too old to be a military pilot, but perhaps not too old to be a military OFFICER. The military has MANY career options for officers and a recruiter could certainly help you with this.

If you are still interested in becoming a pilot, you can always earn your private pilot certificate--and other ratings--later on, once you have gotten your career started.

I think you have some admirable goals, but first you need to refine them and try to narrow your focus on specific, realistic options. And talk to people. Getting advice in an anonymous forum such as Airliners.net is a start, but I think you need to get out and talk to people who work in the aviation industry--in person, face-to-face.

e38

Your writing has improved considerably with your subsequent posts, but in your very first opening, Bryant, you used multiple exclamation points and question marks many times. In professional, educated correspondence, I would recommend ending sentences with a single period, question mark (if appropriate) or exclamation point (only if necessary).

Brystar45
Topic Author

Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:28 am

Thank you kindly E38 you have some awesome advices thank you and thank you everyone as a whole, also loving the wealth of information here.

Currently I am looking at several options, since I am going thru a transition of Careers, since I don't see myself in Retail, I am in it currently and have been thru years but its because I was in College for alot of years more than 10 years, so I had to stay in Retail in the meanwhile.

1. Still evaluating the FAA Flight Dispatch route for the immediate goals, because I have to start somehow, In current talks with Miami Dade College with the Continuing education and Aviation departments although with that they said it could be delayed which is scaring me as this puts me back to Square One. They have also said that the course doesn't cover the FAA written and practical but they are not that expensive at all.

2. The Military is a great option, but there is a problem with that I had a history of Asthma as a child and It has mostly gone in the present but it can rear its ugly end as well, Also I am on the Chubby side but I am working on that, working on a diet. So I like the idea don't get me wrong, its just I am not sure if they will accept a person like me, Military officer sounds fantastic, but not sure on how though?

3. I am in talks with other sources such as Aviation International News, Sun N Fun, Oshkosh EAA, Simple Flying, Airways Magazine, Flying Magazine, and more to see If i can contribute to things such as doing Remote work in the meanwhile, like articles, editing, and so forth, I am in current talks with the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum as well, hopefully if its possible for me to do Remote work.

4. Also I am not sure If its possible for me to become a Hurricane Hunter for NOAA, recently a friend of mines commented to me that If i want to be a Hurricane Hunter, I responded to her, that you know thats not a bad idea, If being a Flight Dispatcher will get me to know about Meteorology, now thats not far from what I can do. But again I have to know what the requirements are to become one, Or at least to enter NOAA, If i do get my FAA Dispatch License, again this is an option I am considering.

5. About flying I won't be able to with the current times because right now its Super Expensive to a point where that Maybe I can do it later in life, currently Not in the cards.

6. I understand that there is this whole "COVID" going on, but I am not trying to let it get to me, but lately with recent news I feel my heart is getting shattered as I don't know if I will be able to accomplish my goals or not? I don't want to be in Retail forever, I want to be where my heart is at, Aviation, Aerospace, Flying, traveling and more.

7. I look at the companies (NASA, NOAA, FAA and more) and they have mentioned "Experience" and "Licenses" and all that which to me, I feel I don't have those yet? I got my Associates and my Bachelors (Still waiting for it to come in the mail). I am trying to see if I can go entry-level or Graduates since I did graduated since May 2020, but trying to see how I can get in, Maybe UPS Airlines, FED-EX, Boeing and more? I am hoping I can be a major person in those organizations maybe being in Charge of the Operations side of things like Aircrafts and so forth.

8. I am also working on a passion project as well, Its a story I am hoping I can get it Published will be a Novel or a Hybrid of sorts, but it will be a side thing I am working on, but Aviation is a key and important theme and flying as well.

9. Yes, Miami Dade College does offer Job Placement, they helped me land an Internship I was doing for College, but it wasn't in Aviation but It helped me graduate my Bachelor's Degree and I gained some experience from it.

10. I am also looking into becoming a Professor as well, to continue my education and to still be involved with Aerospace/ Aviation as a whole, teaching at a University, hopefully teaching at Embry-Riddle or at Miami Dade College.

I just don't want my degrees or my time in College not be for waste you know, its concerning me because I am trying to find direction and everyday I see the news and it doesn't help me, I don't want to go into a depression, even though I am not sure if I am going thru it, but I am trying to remain optimistic and look for new ways on how to go forward and to be more established in life. I am ready to change my life already I am sick and tired of me being stuck. I want to go for my American Dream.

After all this is a new decade and a new beginning for me to close a previous chapter of my life and open a brand new one.

Starlionblue

Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:06 am

As mentioned by others, you still seem to be a bit all over the place. Pick something and go for that 100%. If it doesn't work out, or after a while you find another opportunity, go for that 100%.

1. This sounds like the best option to start with.

3. Writing is an option, but it is tough to get paid as a writer. It is especially hard to be paid to cover an industry without industry experience.

4. I don't think you'd get to be a hurricane hunter without significant experience. It isn't exactly a large group, and what they do is highly specialised.

5. Flying as a professional will always be super expensive to get into. If you really want it, you will find a way. If you feel like you can postpone now, then to be frank you're probably never going to attempt it.

7. You don't have experience. Work any job in the industry at this point.

8. If you can work on your novel on the side, great. But I wouldn't pin your career dreams on it. Focus on the main goal.

FriscoHeavy

Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:44 pm

Brystar45,

Others have posted very relevant information.

I would add this: I do not know what your resume, cover letter and so forth look like, but based on your posts, it would be wise to slow down, proofread your documents and work on some of the grammar and spelling aspects.

If I were looking at your information, but it was written the way it is on here, I wouldn’t give it a second look. This is just helpful advice.

Slow down, perfect the grammar and spelling as these can have major implications (and rightfully so) when a recruiter or manager looks at your resume and such.

Keep up the great enthusiasm; just refine the written parts and make sure your enthusiasm is measured when attending an interview so as to not sound bombastic.

You’ve got it. You’ll get there. Stay positive.
Whatever

Brystar45
Topic Author

Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:12 am

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Brystar45,

Others have posted very relevant information.

I would add this: I do not know what your resume, cover letter and so forth look like, but based on your posts, it would be wise to slow down, proofread your documents and work on some of the grammar and spelling aspects.

If I were looking at your information, but it was written the way it is on here, I wouldn’t give it a second look. This is just helpful advice.

Slow down, perfect the grammar and spelling as these can have major implications (and rightfully so) when a recruiter or manager looks at your resume and such.

Keep up the great enthusiasm; just refine the written parts and make sure your enthusiasm is measured when attending an interview so as to not sound bombastic.

You’ve got it. You’ll get there. Stay positive.

Thank you and I am glad that everybody else responded too, I got great feedback and I appreciated it.

I do have a resume ready its been prepared from Miami Dade College itself, the Job placement center, they helped me with it. But your right its how I present yourself is what matters as well.

Well fortunately I am considering the Aircraft Dispatch option, Its a possibility, I am in talks with the professor of the program to see when is it I can start and its much cheaper for me to go with the College then other places I have seen. They said it could be delayed but I hope I can enroll as soon as it is announced to start enrolling.

From what I gather I have to be realistic about this and reasonable, for that reason I don't think I can be an Airline Pilot at all with the high cost and all it seems impossible, but I could purse a private pilot later in life thats an option I have once I am more established, right now not even a private pilot is in the cards yet.

I do want to apologize to everyone of how I presented myself, Its just when I am with my passion and my desire to be in that career, Industry such as this one, my heart tends to pound and I become passionate but I tend to act like a Cartoon Character at times and for that I feel bad.

Also Its just that I am so ready to change myself, but I understand with this "COVID" has delayed things, but I don't want to lose hope, I want to keep on fighting the good fight, to go for my goals that is achievable what I can do and what I am made of.

So right now I am eyeing on the Dispatch position, I feel to me its the most possible at the moment along with my Degrees maybe it can help at least me get my foot in the door somehow and slowly build up from there. I hope it will work somehow.

I am also having an eye on Embry-Riddle and Purdue when things are much more better and maybe looking into seeing Tuition Reimbursement when I am more established to help me with my Masters in Aeronautics. but for now this is in the plans.

Also I am still in talks with other companies and so forth if I could work remotely or volunteer remotely to see if thats a possibility.

I am still planning on working on my story on the side, but its not the main focus for me right now, just when I have spare time, but aviation is a central theme to it.

But I am glad to see like minded people on here like me, It makes me happy and thank you everyone for the compliments and advises I am taking it to heart and seeing what I can do, in the meanwhile I want to say thank you everyone.