Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

filipinoavgeek
Topic Author

A380s being painted white before being scrapped

Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:25 am

One thing I noticed about the A380s that have been scrapped so far (the two ex-SQ frames and one AF frame) is that they were all painted white before being torn apart. Was this simply because their leases expired, or is there something about the A380 where they don't want to see A380s still in livery being broken down? Isn't repainting an airframe that won't operate again a waste of time and money? Other airliners when they are retired and scrapped seem to usually still keep their liveries to the end.
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

zeke

Re: A380s being painted white before being scrapped

Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:08 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
One thing I noticed about the A380s that have been scrapped so far (the two ex-SQ frames and one AF frame) is that they were all painted white before being torn apart. Was this simply because their leases expired, or is there something about the A380 where they don't want to see A380s still in livery being broken down? Isn't repainting an airframe that won't operate again a waste of time and money? Other airliners when they are retired and scrapped seem to usually still keep their liveries to the end.

It’s common when aircraft go into storage, major repair after an incident, or recycling to have the livery removed.

If the aircraft is going back to a lessor, and another airline takes on that aircraft, the new airline is not under an obligation to change the interior or exterior.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

mmo

Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:05 am

I think you will find the aircraft aren't necessarily painted but the decals for the logo and stripes are removed. In the case of SQ, all the artwork on the 380 is decals.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

iRISH251

Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:49 am

The terms of the lease may require that the aircraft be returned to lessor devoid of livery (regardless of whether it is likely to see further service).

Dalmd88

Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:23 pm

For a trip to the scrapper the plane is not getting repainted. If the logo is a painted on logo it is many times just painted over. I've seen it done by paint roller on the ramp. Many airlines do not like seeing their logo featured in scrapyards.

Now for a lease return it may be a condition of lease turn back that the plane is painted solid white.

HAWK21M

Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:40 pm

Most Airlines would NOT want their livery to be on a destroyed or to be scrapped frame, hence the erasing of the livery is common
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Retaliation

Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:26 am

Dalmd88 wrote:
For a trip to the scrapper the plane is not getting repainted.

Many airlines do not like seeing their logo featured in scrapyards.

Now for a lease return it may be a condition of lease turn back that the plane is painted solid white.

Exactly the case. EK is sending its planes in white, i guess QR and EY would must also be doing the same.
Moka Kakaa a.

Swiss03

Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:12 pm

as an example, QR aircraft mostly go to the scrapper with the top half still grey but without the logo and oryx

skipness1E

Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:50 pm

The Air France early returns were repainted white in Malta I think. I saw one up close and it was pristine with no dirty "airfrance" white bits....

The ex SQ machines certainly were.

VSMUT

Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:20 pm

mmo wrote:
I think you will find the aircraft aren't necessarily painted but the decals for the logo and stripes are removed. In the case of SQ, all the artwork on the 380 is decals.

That clearly isn't true:
https://youtu.be/0pzKrnfO7ho

The video shows the titles being painted, and later masking being removed around the cheatline.

Captainjc9

Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:01 pm

It's common for aircraft to get a repaint of some sorts after being retired. Qantas 747's have all branding and logos removed off the aircraft, for instance, the 'Qantas' and 'Spirit of Australia'. Also, the kangaroo on the tail is removed meaning all you have left is a white 747 with a red tail sitting at the graveyard. I think think this would be similar to the A380s.