Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WesternPlanes
Topic Author

Remaining A320s operating with FOPP

Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:39 am

Since the A320 whine is becoming rare I've decided to make a thread to track which airlines the A320 family operates with the FOPP whine. A320 covered the whole family including the A318. I put this in aviation photography as it is something I am trying to catch on camera.

VSMUT

Re: Remaining A320s operating with FOPP

Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:07 pm

FOPP whine? Whats that?

zeke

Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:18 pm

VSMUT wrote:
FOPP whine? Whats that?

Im guessing something like fuel over pressure plate, Airbus have burst disks in the surge tanks with a vertical cylindrical shape which makes a sounds like blowing over the top of milk bottle in flight. They added a small vortex generator infront of it which stopped the noise.

A picture of it can be seen in this article https://aviationvoice.com/condors-airbu ... 512031343/
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

hitower3

Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:44 pm

Hello!

If you want to hear an A320 whine, you may look out for Austrian Airlines' Airbus fleet. As of recently, these airplanes were still singing their howling songs over my house, when approaching VIE.

Good luck!
Hendric

B6JFKH81

Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:12 pm

There are plenty of aircraft flying around without the fuel over pressure protector modification done yet. B6 has nearly 1/2 of its A320 fleet still waiting to go through the modification (Aviation Technical Services EO 780001-EO-001), I am sure there are other airlines here in the states as well. As far as taking pictures is concerned, you're really going to have to zoom in, this modification just places a small vortex generator in front of the hole in the fuel access panels, not really easy to see unless the plane is on the ground and not moving.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

N965UW

Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:21 pm

From my own unscientific observations (I live near the approach path to LGA rwy 22 and hear a lot of A320s):

AA: most, if not all of the former US fleet has the whine, as does the small batch of sharklet A319s. The newer A321's with sharklets do not.

B6: Some do, some don't. I've noticed that A320's with N5xxJB tail numbers tend to still whine, while the sharklet birds (N8xxJB) do not. All A321s do not whine.

DL: The former NW A319s and A320s whine. The A321s do not.

NK: The older A319s and A320s whine. The A321s do not. Not sure about the sharklet 320s.

UA: Every 320 family plane I've seen whines

The FOPP deflector mod became standard on new build 320 family planes in 2014 I believe. As a general rule, any frame manufactured after that does not whine. For those built earlier, the whine will happen unless the mod was installed.

WesternPlanes
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:02 am

Seems good! What about European A320s? I know BA and LH both have retrofits, I planespot at Heathrow so does anyone have ant imformation on that

WesternPlanes
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:05 am

B6JFKH81 wrote:
There are plenty of aircraft flying around without the fuel over pressure protector modification done yet. B6 has nearly 1/2 of its A320 fleet still waiting to go through the modification (Aviation Technical Services EO 780001-EO-001), I am sure there are other airlines here in the states as well. As far as taking pictures is concerned, you're really going to have to zoom in, this modification just places a small vortex generator in front of the hole in the fuel access panels, not really easy to see unless the plane is on the ground and not moving.

Ok, however it's to the fopp I'm trying to film, it's the sound I am trying to record before they completely go

B6JFKH81

Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:49 pm

WesternPlanes wrote:
B6JFKH81 wrote:

Ok, however it's to the fopp I'm trying to film, it's the sound I am trying to record before they completely go

Ooooooooooooh, you're not trying to the a visual, you're trying to get the audio. Well, in that case, go to an A320 family heavy airport for an airline that has older models without sharklets and you should hear plenty LOL! I know here in TPA, I live right under the final approach of 1L and 1R and I get plenty of A32X whiners coming in!
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

WesternPlanes
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:06 pm

B6JFKH81 wrote:
WesternPlanes wrote:
B6JFKH81 wrote:

Ooooooooooooh, you're not trying to the a visual, you're trying to get the audio. Well, in that case, go to an A320 family heavy airport for an airline that has older models without sharklets and you should hear plenty LOL! I know here in TPA, I live right under the final approach of 1L and 1R and I get plenty of A32X whiners coming in!

I do live near the easterly approach path for Heathrow so I'm just finding out which airlines still emit the whine when heading over. Finnair, TAROM and Bulgaria Air A320s still make the sound. Plus this thread is also a tracker for which airlines have retrofitted to cease the sound