Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WesternDC6B
Topic Author

Headset Cleaning

Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:08 am

Greetings, A-netters. Leave it to me to come up with the oddball topics, so, here goes.

Way back in them-har olden days :old: when on-board entertainment had headsets that worked without any electrical hookups, I imagine cleaning of the headsets between use was done chemically, or in some big vat of cleaning fluid of some sort. There were no electronic components to worry about.

Now, the headsets have electronic components in them. How do they clean them before repacking for the next user? I imagine the ear-bud ones are tossed; I refer to the kind that are actual headsets. Thanks!
Never employ grandios verbiage when the utilisation of diminutive phraseology will suffice.

tb727

Re: Headset Cleaning

Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:53 pm

Do they even have those anymore for entertainment?

As far as the cockpit I always cleaned the ships headsets(Telex 750)with a small spray bottle of rubbing alcohol I carry and it worked. As the current situation evolved I ended up buying my own headset(Telex 850)to use up front. Haven't forgotten it yet either!
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Starlionblue

Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:10 am

tb727 wrote:
Do they even have those anymore for entertainment?

As far as the cockpit I always cleaned the ships headsets(Telex 750)with a small spray bottle of rubbing alcohol I carry and it worked. As the current situation evolved I ended up buying my own headset(Telex 850)to use up front. Haven't forgotten it yet either!

They definitely still have them. Nice noise canceling headsets in business and first class on plenty of airlines.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

nws2002

Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:16 pm

Sanicom wipes are practically made for this purpose.

DL_Mech

Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:37 am

I had heard that people with disabilities have been responsible for the cleaning and repacking of headsets for years. Probably a lot less now that the earbuds are tossed in the trash.

http://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2017/12/26/ever-wondered-airline-headphones-end-neatly-wrapped-seat-heres-answer/
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Former AMT on A220,A310,A319/20/21,A330,A350,B707,B717,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,
MD-80/90,MD-11

HAWK21M

Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:24 pm

Contact cleaner or any High volatile/Alcohol based cleaner
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)