Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Gyouska
Topic Author

Buying First Plane

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:22 am

Hey all! I am looking at buying a plane with my bro and one other guy. I am totally new to aviation. My brother is a flight instructor and knows more than me. I just want to get some info on what you guys think a good starter is? I have looked at some cessna 150 and 152 but everytime we look its like we keep deciding ok how about 172 or 175 or 180. I live in Salt Lake City and the elevation is around 4500. I have been told by others that 150 or 152 can be sketchy especially when its hot just because of elevation. What do you guys think? I am really just looking for something to log hours in for as cheap as possible. also hopefully one that will burn MOH gas. Our price range is 35k and we want it to be IFR certified hopefully. How much should I expect in yearly maintenance in one of these planes aswell as average insurance fees and requirements and any other good knowledge or suggestions you can give me. Thanks in advance!

VSMUT

Re: Buying First Plane

Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:03 am

I would look into one of the new UL types. They can fly on much cheaper car fuel and generally only cost a fraction to operate compared to a Cessna or Piper. Often faster or more sporty too.
And with the latest changes by EASA, UL time now counts as normal flying time.

SAAFNAV

Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:45 am

Look into a good Piper Pacer. Light on maintenance, might find an experimental one. Slow and ugly (only the nose wheel one is ugly), but it will serve you well.

At our DA (JNB), you can actually take 4 adults. With the 150hp O-320 you can use MOGAS.
CFI/Gr. III, L-382 Loadmaster, ex C-130B Navigator

FlyHossD

Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:24 am

A 150 horsepower mod is isn't rare for the Cessna 150s, so you might want to look for one of those.

Another option would be a Piper Cherokee 140 that has been upgraded to 150 or 160 hp. Treat it as a 2 seater and you'll be fine.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

zeke

Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:50 am

There is a 172K on controller that may for your requirement https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?ca ... e=aircraft
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

airportugal310

Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:27 pm

zeke wrote:
There is a 172K on controller that may for your requirement https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?ca ... e=aircraft

And it's "NAGOTIABLE"!
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

BawliBooch

Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:14 am

We evaluated a light plane for our business use and ended up choosing buying a shared Cessna 206 Stationair.

Reasons: Much better payload-range, STOL/off-field ops.

Have never regretted it. Awesome plane for multiple roles like ferrying our crew to the locations one day and flying equipment the next day. Easily switches between roles. Handles rough strips like a dream allowing us to go into places which would broken a 172.

Only downside is last row is a little congested though arranging them in club seating style improves cabin comfort.

PS: Get the Garmin 1000 equipped 206.
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

zeke

Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:13 am

BawliBooch wrote:
We evaluated a light plane for our business use and ended up choosing buying a shared Cessna 206 Stationair.

Have never regretted it. Awesome plane for multiple roles like ferrying our crew to the locations one day and flying equipment the next day. Easily switches between roles. Handles rough strips like a dream allowing us to go into places which would broken a 172.

Only downside is last row is a little congested though arranging them in club seating style improves cabin comfort.

They did mention a budget of 35k
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

FlyingElvii

Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:36 am

zeke wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:

They did mention a budget of 35k

For that money, the choices are limited, unless you happen to be an A&P.
A ragged out, 50 year old 172, a little less for a clapped out 40 year old 152. (The extra horsepower of the 152 vs 150 is huge, imo)
Or, you could get much newer tech, and go with one of the lesser expensive light sports like the Jabiru, or Cessna Skycatcher, that will even get you a digital panel.

AIRWALK

Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:29 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
zeke wrote:

And it's "NAGOTIABLE"!

It's also "meticulously mainted"!
I'm sure this thread will take off soon