Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Gyouska
Topic Author
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:35 am

Buying First Plane

Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:22 am

Hey all! I am looking at buying a plane with my bro and one other guy. I am totally new to aviation. My brother is a flight instructor and knows more than me. I just want to get some info on what you guys think a good starter is? I have looked at some cessna 150 and 152 but everytime we look its like we keep deciding ok how about 172 or 175 or 180. I live in Salt Lake City and the elevation is around 4500. I have been told by others that 150 or 152 can be sketchy especially when its hot just because of elevation. What do you guys think? I am really just looking for something to log hours in for as cheap as possible. also hopefully one that will burn MOH gas. Our price range is 35k and we want it to be IFR certified hopefully. How much should I expect in yearly maintenance in one of these planes aswell as average insurance fees and requirements and any other good knowledge or suggestions you can give me. Thanks in advance!
 
VSMUT
Posts: 4446
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Buying First Plane

Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:03 am

I would look into one of the new UL types. They can fly on much cheaper car fuel and generally only cost a fraction to operate compared to a Cessna or Piper. Often faster or more sporty too.
And with the latest changes by EASA, UL time now counts as normal flying time.
 
User avatar
SAAFNAV
Posts: 605
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:41 pm

Re: Buying First Plane

Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:45 am

Look into a good Piper Pacer. Light on maintenance, might find an experimental one. Slow and ugly (only the nose wheel one is ugly), but it will serve you well.

At our DA (JNB), you can actually take 4 adults. With the 150hp O-320 you can use MOGAS.
CFI/Gr. III, L-382 Loadmaster, ex C-130B Navigator
 
FlyHossD
Posts: 2086
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: Buying First Plane

Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:24 am

A 150 horsepower mod is isn't rare for the Cessna 150s, so you might want to look for one of those.

Another option would be a Piper Cherokee 140 that has been upgraded to 150 or 160 hp. Treat it as a 2 seater and you'll be fine.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15098
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Buying First Plane

Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:50 am

There is a 172K on controller that may for your requirement https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?ca ... e=aircraft
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
User avatar
airportugal310
Posts: 3658
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:49 pm

Re: Buying First Plane

Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:27 pm

zeke wrote:
There is a 172K on controller that may for your requirement https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?ca ... e=aircraft


And it's "NAGOTIABLE"!
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”
 
User avatar
BawliBooch
Posts: 1473
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:24 am

Re: Buying First Plane

Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:14 am

We evaluated a light plane for our business use and ended up choosing buying a shared Cessna 206 Stationair.

Reasons: Much better payload-range, STOL/off-field ops.

Have never regretted it. Awesome plane for multiple roles like ferrying our crew to the locations one day and flying equipment the next day. Easily switches between roles. Handles rough strips like a dream allowing us to go into places which would broken a 172.

Only downside is last row is a little congested though arranging them in club seating style improves cabin comfort.


PS: Get the Garmin 1000 equipped 206.
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15098
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Buying First Plane

Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:13 am

BawliBooch wrote:
We evaluated a light plane for our business use and ended up choosing buying a shared Cessna 206 Stationair.

Reasons: Much better payload-range, STOL/off-field ops.

Have never regretted it. Awesome plane for multiple roles like ferrying our crew to the locations one day and flying equipment the next day. Easily switches between roles. Handles rough strips like a dream allowing us to go into places which would broken a 172.

Only downside is last row is a little congested though arranging them in club seating style improves cabin comfort.


PS: Get the Garmin 1000 equipped 206.


They did mention a budget of 35k
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Buying First Plane

Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:36 am

zeke wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:
We evaluated a light plane for our business use and ended up choosing buying a shared Cessna 206 Stationair.

Reasons: Much better payload-range, STOL/off-field ops.

Have never regretted it. Awesome plane for multiple roles like ferrying our crew to the locations one day and flying equipment the next day. Easily switches between roles. Handles rough strips like a dream allowing us to go into places which would broken a 172.

Only downside is last row is a little congested though arranging them in club seating style improves cabin comfort.


PS: Get the Garmin 1000 equipped 206.


They did mention a budget of 35k

For that money, the choices are limited, unless you happen to be an A&P.
A ragged out, 50 year old 172, a little less for a clapped out 40 year old 152. (The extra horsepower of the 152 vs 150 is huge, imo)
Or, you could get much newer tech, and go with one of the lesser expensive light sports like the Jabiru, or Cessna Skycatcher, that will even get you a digital panel.
 
AIRWALK
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:33 am

Re: Buying First Plane

Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:29 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
zeke wrote:
There is a 172K on controller that may for your requirement https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?ca ... e=aircraft


And it's "NAGOTIABLE"!


It's also "meticulously mainted"!
I'm sure this thread will take off soon

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SQ22 and 18 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos