Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

Airlines Removing 787s From Their Fleets

Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:16 am

I'm trying to compile a list of airlines that are withdrawing 787s from their fleets, whether due to COVID-19 or a decision made before COVID.

This is what I've been able to find:

- Avianca: 1x 787-8 resulting from Chapter 11 Bankruptcy (N784AV leased from Avolon)
- LATAM Chile: 4x 787-9s resulting from Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.
- Royal Air Maroc: 4x 787s (unconfirmed which type) that are set to be sold.
- Jetstar: 3x 787-8s that are expected to be sold? I believe the Qantas Group announced this in December 2019, but I'm unsure if they ever confirmed they're still planning to sell these.

Also, would these aircraft count as being "retired"? Or simply "removed"?

Thanks.

FLALEFTY

Re: Airlines Removing 787s From Their Fleets

Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:05 pm

Ishrion wrote:
I'm trying to compile a list of airlines that are withdrawing 787s from their fleets, whether due to COVID-19 or a decision made before COVID.

This is what I've been able to find:

- Avianca: 1x 787-8 resulting from Chapter 11 Bankruptcy (N784AV leased from Avolon)
- LATAM Chile: 4x 787-9s resulting from Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.
- Royal Air Maroc: 4x 787s (unconfirmed which type) that are set to be sold.
- Jetstar: 3x 787-8s that are expected to be sold? I believe the Qantas Group announced this in December 2019, but I'm unsure if they ever confirmed they're still planning to sell these.

Also, would these aircraft count as being "retired"? Or simply "removed"?

Thanks.

I know it is still up in the air at this time, but Norwegian cancelled their remaining B789's on order with Boeing (along with the MAX's, also sued them), refused to take deliveries of ones just off the assembly line and hinted that they may go away from their existing B788/789 fleet if/when they get back on their feet.

VSMUT

Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:54 am

Air Austral. Announced in 2018 that the pair of 787-8 would be put up for sale. They are aiming at eventually going for a single type long haul fleet of A350-900, A330-900 or 787-9 by 2023, so the 777s will go too.

Mexican Air Force. Withdrew the 787 presidential jet.

Sort of, Qatar Airways originally planned to phase out all 787-8 when they took delivery of the 787-9. The 787-8 would have been passed on to Air Italy, but with the failure of that airline, plans have changed and the 787-8 is staying for now.

Cyrus

Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:45 am

During last years several leasing companies had set up plans to arrange new interior for 787 coming of leas. They didn't want to specify the number of frames or from airline but the work have been started on there behalf to arrange new interior for 787 that's coming of leas. The point of this report was that leasing contract might not be renewed and finding new costumers might mean new interior.
I think the Portuguese airline EuroAtlantic Airways is getting second hand 787 soon??