Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Captainjc9
Topic Author

Boeing 737-800NG Flaptrack circle

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:14 pm

Hi All,

Does anyone know what this is on a Boeing 737-800NG flaptrack? It's a circle that looks like a hatch on the side of the flaptrack. (See picture) Apologies for the bad lighting.

IMG_4719.PNG

Thanks!
Captainjc9

Starlionblue

Re: Boeing 737-800NG Flaptrack circle

Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:40 pm

Captainjc9 wrote:
Hi All,

Does anyone know what this is on a Boeing 737-800NG flaptrack? It's a circle that looks like a hatch on the side of the flaptrack. (See picture) Apologies for the bad lighting.

IMG_4719.PNG

Thanks!
Captainjc9

I suggest you upload the picture to a free service like Imgur, https://imgur.com/, and then use the embed image function.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Captainjc9
Topic Author

Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:34 am

Starlionblue wrote:
Captainjc9 wrote:
Hi All,

IMG_4719.PNG

Thanks!
Captainjc9

I suggest you upload the picture to a free service like Imgur, https://imgur.com/, and then use the embed image function.

Apologies! Let me know if the link doesn't work: https://imgur.com/a/PWlNqvQ
Or this link: https://imgur.com/o7sXLwE

DL_Mech

Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:51 am

Captainjc9 wrote:

I believe it is an access panel used to remove bolts that hold the aft part of the fairing on the flap track.

From: http://i.pinimg.com/originals/c9/42/f0/c942f08f46b9a152e4d48360b53f1bba.jpg
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Captainjc9
Topic Author

Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:56 am

DL_Mech wrote:
Captainjc9 wrote:

I believe it is an access panel used to remove bolts that hold the aft part of the fairing on the flap track.

From: http://i.pinimg.com/originals/c9/42/f0/c942f08f46b9a152e4d48360b53f1bba.jpg

Thank you so much!! Very helpful information :D

Dalmd88

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:35 am

If I recall there is also a lube point at the bolts. So it gets removed at every wing lube visit. Same with the little diamond panel in DL_Mech's pic.

slcguy

Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:38 pm

Do access panels for maintenance or inspection really require a thread? All aircraft from basic GA up to top of the line commercial/military have them in one form or another. The location, size and shape are determined by function. In this case would you really want to remove the whole flap fairing just to inspect, adjust or lube a small component?

Max Q

Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:44 pm

slcguy wrote:
Do access panels for maintenance or inspection really require a thread? All aircraft from basic GA up to top of the line commercial/military have them in one form or another. The location, size and shape are determined by function. In this case would you really want to remove the whole flap fairing just to inspect, adjust or lube a small component?

A perfectly reasonable question answered
accurately and with great detail and explanation

I don’t understand the objection
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Captainjc9 wrote:
DL_Mech wrote:
Captainjc9 wrote:

I’m trying to figure what’s so helpful. If it is helpful, he’s a mechanic who should be familiar with the access panels. If he’s not a B737 mechanic, what possible help is knowing it is a access panel. Not like a passenger next to him expects him or her to go out and open it to save everybody’s life.

Reminded of friend who once related he ferried an F-4 back from Thailand and counted something like a dozen switches in the cockpit he had no idea what their function was. “I knew what it took to drop the munitions I used, couldn’t care about about things I had no reason to screw around with.”

Max Q

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:09 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Captainjc9 wrote:
DL_Mech wrote:

I’m trying to figure what’s so helpful. If it is helpful, he’s a mechanic who should be familiar with the access panels. If he’s not a B737 mechanic, what possible help is knowing it is a access panel. Not like a passenger next to him expects him or her to go out and open it to save everybody’s life.

Reminded of friend who once related he ferried an F-4 back from Thailand and counted something like a dozen switches in the cockpit he had no idea what their function was. “I knew what it took to drop the munitions I used, couldn’t care about about things I had no reason to screw around with.”

I think you’re overthinking this

It’s helpful that the poster got their question answered, thats pretty much it

GGg

Captainjc9
Topic Author

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:22 pm

Max Q wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Captainjc9 wrote:

Yes! Thank you Max Q, totally correct. I was purely interested in what the hatch or panel was on the flap track of the 737. Thank you everyone who helped answer my query :)

Captainjc9
Topic Author

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:31 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Captainjc9 wrote:
DL_Mech wrote:

If you were to ask a question about something on a B737 flap track or wing panel, would I ask why you wanted to know? No. I was purely interested in what that was on the flaptrack, thankyou :)

Max Q

Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:35 pm

Captainjc9 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Yes! Thank you Max Q, totally correct. I was purely interested in what the hatch or panel was on the flap track of the 737. Thank you everyone who helped answer my query :)

You’re welcome and I hope you keep asking questions, don’t be put off by some negative responses

GGg