Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Trimeresurus
Topic Author

Why didn't the 737-100/200 and DC-9 need a flight engineer when most airliners of the era needed one?

Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:50 pm

Was it because they were twinjets? Were all of the duties of the flight engineer delegated to Pilot Not Flying? Wasn't he overwhelmed by being a human-FMS(I guess what flight engineer did, oversimplified) and ATC operator and also a monitoring pilot at the same time? If it was doable and safe, why trijets or quadjets like 727/747/DC-10 weren't also two-man flight decks, considering that it would cut employment costs to the airline. I know it had to with FAA requirements for a flight engineer for an airplane heavier than a set weight, but what was the reasoning behind that decision in the first place? An extra(or two) engine shouldn't have made a major difference in 99% of the common procedures, at least not enough to require another person when two was enough.

RetiredWeasel

Re: Why didn't the 737-100/200 and DC-9 need a flight engineer when most airliners of the era needed one?

Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:31 pm

Others can probably provide better answers than me, but aircraft systems have simply evolved from being complex with manual operation to becoming automatic during last 50 years. Airliners of the 50's - 70's needed professional flight engineers to manage and monitor the switches, valves, etc because that kind of attention was needed, while the pilots were busy flying the aircraft. EG: correctly feeding fuel from the desired tanks to the desired engines was the FE's responsibility. Later, in two crewmember aircraft these type of operations were automatically done with technology advancements. Yes, more engines did increase the complexity, but going from a 3 pilot 747-200 to 2 pilot 747-400, the previous FE duties were mainly automated.

I flew in in both 2 and 3 pilot positions with several years in the FE (SO) position. I would agree the pilot not flying did pick up some additional tasks, but nothing overwhelming. The damn walk-around though was picked up by the FO (usually) whereas in the 3 pilot aircraft it was done by the FE.

Airliners used to carry navigators too, but technology improvement eliminated that position. Just my 2 cents.

Lemmy

Re: Why didn't the 737-100/200 and DC-9 need a flight engineer when most airliners of the era needed one?

Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:54 pm

RetiredWeasel wrote:
Airliners of the 50's - 70's needed professional flight engineers to manage and monitor the switches, valves, etc because that kind of attention was needed

This brings up a related question I've wondered about for a long time: Why does the B-52, an airplane designed in the 50s, not require an FE? It seems like an awfully complicated beast. They have extra crew members for all of the weapons systems, but it seems like all of the "flying" systems are managed by the two pilots. Is that just a normal military thing? Does the B-52 have fewer systems than a commercial airplane of the same vintage? Are the two pilots much busier than normal?
I am a patient boy ...

MoKa777

Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:09 pm

Trimeresurus wrote:
Was it because they were twinjets? Were all of the duties of the flight engineer delegated to Pilot Not Flying? Wasn't he overwhelmed by being a human-FMS(I guess what flight engineer did, oversimplified) and ATC operator and also a monitoring pilot at the same time? If it was doable and safe, why trijets or quadjets like 727/747/DC-10 weren't also two-man flight decks, considering that it would cut employment costs to the airline. I know it had to with FAA requirements for a flight engineer for an airplane heavier than a set weight, but what was the reasoning behind that decision in the first place? An extra(or two) engine shouldn't have made a major difference in 99% of the common procedures, at least not enough to require another person when two was enough.

Did the maximum range/endurance of the aircraft involved not have something to do with it?

The aircraft with 3 flight deck positions were generally capable of flying further/longer. Maybe the amount of time manning the controls made the addition or retention of an FE necessary.

Granted, this is not the case between the B727 and B732 but I'm just spitballing here...
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

Trimeresurus
Topic Author

Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:14 pm

RetiredWeasel wrote:
Others can probably provide better answers than me, but aircraft systems have simply evolved from being complex with manual operation to becoming automatic during last 50 years. Airliners of the 50's - 70's needed professional flight engineers to manage and monitor the switches, valves, etc because that kind of attention was needed, while the pilots were busy flying the aircraft. EG: correctly feeding fuel from the desired tanks to the desired engines was the FE's responsibility. Later, in two crewmember aircraft these type of operations were automatically done with technology advancements. Yes, more engines did increase the complexity, but going from a 3 pilot 747-200 to 2 pilot 747-400, the previous FE duties were mainly automated.

I flew in in both 2 and 3 pilot positions with several years in the FE (SO) position. I would agree the pilot not flying did pick up some additional tasks, but nothing overwhelming. The damn walk-around though was picked up by the FO (usually) whereas in the 3 pilot aircraft it was done by the FE.

Airliners used to carry navigators too, but technology improvement eliminated that position. Just my 2 cents.

But, the 737 and the DC-9 both came before the 747 and they were both two-crew cockpits since the first day, that's what I am asking about.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:53 pm

Part 25 required an FE if design TOGW exceeded 80,000 pounds which eliminated the -9. Not sure about the 737, but the requirement was weight based.

WRT the B-52, General Lemay was pretty adamant enlisted crew weren’t welcome. The B-52 probably could use an FE, but the co-pilot as on the KC-135 handles most of the duties of an FE. It military certified, so Part 25 doesn’t apply.

LyleLanley

Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:55 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
WRT the B-52, General Lemay was pretty adamant enlisted crew weren’t welcome. The B-52 probably could use an FE, but the co-pilot as on the KC-135 handles most of the duties of an FE. It military certified, so Part 25 doesn’t apply.

Ahem... Lemay was fine with enlisted fliers, he just hated Flight Engineers. Most likely from his experiences of mission cancellations in the B-17/29/36 as a result of Flight Engineers - correctly or not - spooking the cattle by telling the pilot whether the aircraft was safe for flight or not. Agree or not, he wanted pilots to be the word, not the FE.

The FE aversion was so ingrained in SAC’s culture the KC-10’s FE position was originally programmed to be filled by a higher-experience boom operator, rather than admit FEs into the command.
"I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and, by gum, it put them on the map!"

Max Q

Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:30 am

North American managed to build the extremely complex by any standard XB70 without an FE in the early ‘60’s while most civil transports in that era included one
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Philippine747

Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:54 am

Related to the question... but United and Wien Alaska had a third crewmember in the cockpit for a while after the 737's introduction. I'm pretty sure the third crewmember's role was purely symbolic... maybe someone with more knowledge can explain?
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE BR

Max Q

Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:23 am

Philippine747 wrote:
Related to the question... but United and Wien Alaska had a third crewmember in the cockpit for a while after the 737's introduction. I'm pretty sure the third crewmember's role was purely symbolic... maybe someone with more knowledge can explain?

That was a Union contract requirement at the time

GGg

Philippine747

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:54 am

Max Q wrote:
Philippine747 wrote:

That was a Union contract requirement at the time

So I've heard. Wien Alaska apparently got into a labor dispute since they abused this role. Apparently, new hires would be fired just as they were about to finish their probationary period, and would only be rehired if they flew the right seat on the F-27 which paid less...
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE BR

BawliBooch

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:03 am

Trimeresurus wrote:
But, the 737 and the DC-9 both came before the 747 and they were both two-crew cockpits since the first day, that's what I am asking about.

Could be related to pilot union issues as well. In Indian Airlines service, the Caravelles had a 3 man crew so when the slightly larger 737-200 was inducted, there were many issues wrt 2 man cockpit. I believe some US airlines also initially operated 737-200's with 3 man cockpit crew? United?
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

Starlionblue

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:32 am

Obligatory mention of the FE station on Ansett's 767. Union rules mandated it, so Boeing had to design a custom station. I believe it was the same with Aeroflot.

Thinking about the required custom FCOM procedures, and all the subsequent update, is giving me a headache.

There seem to have been two different panel versions, one with a screen.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Trimeresurus
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:55 am

Starlionblue wrote:
Obligatory mention of the FE station on Ansett's 767. Union rules mandated it, so Boeing had to design a custom station. I believe it was the same with Aeroflot.

Thinking about the required custom FCOM procedures, and all the subsequent update, is giving me a headache.

Haha, imagine something like that in the A350!

Starlionblue

Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:05 am

Trimeresurus wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Haha, imagine something like that in the A350!

Funnily enough, the A350 center observer seat has a screen and keyboard. It is used by the engineers to do their thing on the ground. The A330 equivalent is the engineering/maintenance functions accessed through the MCDU.

You can see it on the right here. The keyboard is stowed in a bracket on the rear bulkhead.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Max Q

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:47 pm

Starlionblue wrote:

The lower picture is the auxiliary panel on the standard two pilot 767

GGg

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:33 pm

Max Q wrote:
North American managed to build the extremely complex by any standard XB70 without an FE in the early ‘60’s while most civil transports in that era included one

Military certification rules are very different than Part 25. None of the SAC jets had engineers until the KC-10. B-47, B-52, B-58, KC-135 all made engineering the pilot’s job.

Starlionblue

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:13 pm

Max Q wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Aaaah. That makes sense. It does indeed seem a bit less than ideally instrumented for an FE panel. Thanks for info.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:20 pm

It goes back to the DC-6 era and CAR 4b. The -4 didn’t have an engineer, but the CAB required one on -6 due to complexity. Then, the 80,000 pound TOGW was decided on, but Part 25 (C. 1967) made it a decision based on complexity, workload. The 747 was already in design, so it had an engineer and the technology wasn’t there yet. The automatic pressurization controller on the 737 was developed for 2-man workload issues. The next US design was the 767; which was planned for an FE, but Boeing, the airlines and US unions agreed on it eliminating the FE.

tnair1974

Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:17 am

Philippine747 wrote:

When I was a kid, I recall an early copy of Airliners discussing how the third pilot issue hindered early sales of the 737 (the same Airliners issue also had an article on Piedmont Airlines as the carrier was about to be absorbed by USAir). Yes, as mentioned some airlines like UA went with three pilots (union requirements were mentioned earlier). But IIRC, PI and other early operators were able to have two pilots from the start (late 1960s) of their 737 operations. Still, Air France wasn't able to introduce the 732 (with two pilots) until the early 1980s partly because of continued disagreements about a third cockpit crew member.

The DC-9 cockpit would have been rather cramped for three pilots as it is. Anyway, seems any efforts to require three pilots on DC-9s were undermined by airlines like DL that had already agreed to use only two pilots.

wr911

Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:49 pm

I still recall flying on an LH 747-200 in the mid 1990s and they still had three officers in the cockpit. In those where the days they would leave the door open and if you were in the bubble in the old first class seats you could have a fantastic view over there shoulders through the door while sitting very comfortable.

AJ

Max Q

Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:34 am

Starlionblue wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Aaaah. That makes sense. It does indeed seem a bit less than ideally instrumented for an FE panel. Thanks for info.

You’re welcome

GGg

Max Q

Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:38 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It goes back to the DC-6 era and CAR 4b. The -4 didn’t have an engineer, but the CAB required one on -6 due to complexity. Then, the 80,000 pound TOGW was decided on, but Part 25 (C. 1967) made it a decision based on complexity, workload. The 747 was already in design, so it had an engineer and the technology wasn’t there yet. The automatic pressurization controller on the 737 was developed for 2-man workload issues. The next US design was the 767; which was planned for an FE, but Boeing, the airlines and US unions agreed on it eliminating the FE.

The automatic pressurization controller on the 737 is a good, workload reducing design but it’s basically identical to the unit installed in the older 727-200, it was nothing new

And a huge improvement over the pneumatic controller on the 727-100

GGg

AirKevin

Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:54 am

wr911 wrote:
I still recall flying on an LH 747-200 in the mid 1990s and they still had three officers in the cockpit. In those where the days they would leave the door open and if you were in the bubble in the old first class seats you could have a fantastic view over there shoulders through the door while sitting very comfortable.

Three was the minimum crew on the 747-200. It wasn't until the 747-400 came along that it went down to two crew.
Captain Kevin

tommy1808

Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:11 pm

AirKevin wrote:
wr911 wrote:

Three was the minimum crew on the 747-200. It wasn't until the 747-400 came along that it went down to two crew.

I am not sure the FE counted as flight officer everywhere.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

T54A

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:55 pm

Starlionblue wrote:

That with without a doubt, the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.
T6, Allouette 3, Oryx, King Air, B1900, B727, B744, A319, A342/3/6 A332/3 A359

Max Q

Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:45 am

tommy1808 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
wr911 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Not sure what that even means ?

GGg

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:46 pm

Max Q wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Means, the FE didn’t qualify as a pilot and flights over 8 hours needed an augmenting pilot whereas in the FAA the FE did augment the crew.

Max Q

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:04 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Max Q wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Means, the FE didn’t qualify as a pilot and flights over 8 hours needed an augmenting pilot whereas in the FAA the FE did augment the crew.

My question refers to the meaning of the posters last statement ‘I am not sure the FE counted as flight officer everywhere’

GGg

tommy1808

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:10 am

Max Q wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Max Q wrote:

My question refers to the meaning of the posters last statement ‘I am not sure the FE counted as flight officer everywhere’

I mean in some jurisdictions the FE might be an officer, while other consider the position as just "enlisted" Crew...

best regards
Thomas

Max Q

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:33 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

I mean in some jurisdictions the FE might be an officer, while other consider the position as just "enlisted" Crew...

best regards
Thomas

No such thing as Officer or Enlisted in civil aviation

GGg

tommy1808

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:38 am

Max Q wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

best regards
Thomas

That is why enlisted as in "", and a first officer definitely has the title officer. You know, words can have different meanings in different contexts. Just like "theory" has a completely different meaning for a scientist and for a layman.

best regards
Thomas

Max Q

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:53 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

best regards
Thomas

That is why enlisted as in "", and a first officer definitely has the title officer. You know, words can have different meanings in different contexts. Just like "theory" has a completely different meaning for a scientist and for a layman.

best regards
Thomas

Not really getting your point

In the military there is a significant and formal, regulated divide between Officers and enlisted personnel

In civilian aviation there is no such thing, on a transport aircraft the Captain has ultimate authority, the FO is his or her backup, performs many specific tasks and shares flying duties and the FE if still used has their own specific tasks, all operate as a crew

However there is not a completely separate Officer / Enlisted category separating any crew member from another into a completely different category

Incidentally, just because there is a First Officer position doesn’t mean he or she is literally an ‘Officer’ as in the military, it’s just a universally used term to denote their position, an FE is often also a SO or ‘Second Officer’ and the same applies

GGg

Starlionblue

Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:01 am

Max Q wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

best regards
Thomas

Not really getting your point

In the military there is a significant and formal, regulated divide between Officers and enlisted personnel

In civilian aviation there is no such thing, on a transport aircraft the Captain has ultimate authority, the FO is his or her backup, performs many specific tasks and shares flying duties and the FE if still used has their own specific tasks, all operate as a crew

However there is not a completely separate Officer / Enlisted category separating any crew member from another into a completely different category

Incidentally, just because there is a First Officer position doesn’t mean he or she is literally an ‘Officer’ as in the military, it’s just a universally used term to denote their position, an FE is often also a SO or ‘Second Officer’ and the same applies

What Max Q said.

There isn't a divide amongst flight deck crew in the civilian world. Second Officers and First Officers have no formal barriers hindering their progression to the rank of Captain. By contrast, in the military non-commissioned officers do not have a natural progression to officer rank. (Of course, they can still become officers, but this requires a distinct divide in their career as they go "mustang".)

surrodox2001

Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:38 am

Actually the first jetliner without f/e is the BAC 111, and perhaps the 737 and DC9 just extend on top of that.

British airliners are truly a pioneer!

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:15 pm

surrodox2001 wrote:
Actually the first jetliner without f/e is the BAC 111, and perhaps the 737 and DC9 just extend on top of that.

And like many pioneers, they went down a dead end. The British pioneered lots of innovations but never capitalized on them, unfortunately.

Max Q

Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:25 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
surrodox2001 wrote:

And like many pioneers, they went down a dead end. The British pioneered lots of innovations but never capitalized on them, unfortunately.

As far as production numbers though the 1-11 didn’t do that badly with 244 delivered, after all the L1011 only sold 250

GGg