Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
tmlucia
Topic Author
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:45 pm

Toxic fumes

Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:35 pm

First time (I think) posting here. Apologies if this has been posted before.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/toxic- ... avel-woes/
 
User avatar
Strebav8or
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:03 pm

Re: Toxic fumes

Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:44 pm

Seems to be prevalent problem, if you read any other av news site, with the A318-319/320/321.
 
N965UW
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:31 pm

Re: Toxic fumes

Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:03 pm

From the article:

A 2002 study mandated by Congress recommended requiring carbon monoxide sensors on all passenger airplanes. Today, most homes have them; airplanes do not.


It's interesting how CO detectors are so widespread in light GA, but not in jets where everybody breathes bleed air
 
dstblj52
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Re: Toxic fumes

Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:52 am

Strebav8or wrote:
Seems to be prevalent problem, if you read any other av news site, with the A318-319/320/321.

mostly on iae engined aircraft interestingly enough
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 16358
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Toxic fumes

Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:50 am

N965UW wrote:
From the article:

A 2002 study mandated by Congress recommended requiring carbon monoxide sensors on all passenger airplanes. Today, most homes have them; airplanes do not.


It's interesting how CO detectors are so widespread in light GA, but not in jets where everybody breathes bleed air


Carbon monoxide is a colourless and odourless gas, that is a by product of combustion. What was described in the article was visible and had a smell, so it is not carbon monoxide.

It’s widespread in GA because they heat the cabin by taking air from around the exhaust downstream of combustion where carbon monoxide is a by product of combustion. Bleed air from jet engines is taken from the compressor upstream of combustion.

Lawmakers advocating carbon monoxide detectors in an airliner is like lawmakers advocating injecting disinfectant for COVID. It is not their area of expertise.
 
m1m2
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:39 am

Re: Toxic fumes

Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:34 am

If there is a failure of one (or more) of the seals in the compressor, there is the possibility of oil getting into the bleed air system. This, in turn, travels to the air conditioning packs and the heat within the ACM/heat exchangers can cause smoke. This smoke is very acrid although I can't say if it contains CO (Carbon Monoxide) or not. Even without CO, I doubt it's good for your health. I know it makes the air in the cabin hard to breathe and will set off the smoke alarms in the lav.

Having said all that, Zeke is correct that you would not need a CO detector to know this is present, you smell it and feel it burning your eyes.
 
D L X
Posts: 12726
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 3:30 am

Re: Toxic fumes

Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:37 pm

Strebav8or wrote:
Seems to be prevalent problem, if you read any other av news site, with the A318-319/320/321.

One of the big events discussed in this article was on a US 767 flown STT-CLT. That flight ended up being the last flight Capt. David Hill and his crew flew. Their medicals were revoked, and Capt. Hill ultimately fell into a deep depression and committed suicide after pleading for regulators to do something.

If i'm remembering correctly, the pilots had no idea that a fume event was even occurring until the flight attendants noted they both had completely bloodshot eyes when they landed.
 
kalvado
Posts: 3322
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:29 am

Re: Toxic fumes

Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:42 pm

zeke wrote:
N965UW wrote:
From the article:

A 2002 study mandated by Congress recommended requiring carbon monoxide sensors on all passenger airplanes. Today, most homes have them; airplanes do not.


It's interesting how CO detectors are so widespread in light GA, but not in jets where everybody breathes bleed air


Carbon monoxide is a colourless and odourless gas, that is a by product of combustion. What was described in the article was visible and had a smell, so it is not carbon monoxide.

It’s widespread in GA because they heat the cabin by taking air from around the exhaust downstream of combustion where carbon monoxide is a by product of combustion. Bleed air from jet engines is taken from the compressor upstream of combustion.

Lawmakers advocating carbon monoxide detectors in an airliner is like lawmakers advocating injecting disinfectant for COVID. It is not their area of expertise.

Significant difference, though, is that CO detector cannot harm anyone (unlike instant harm with desinfectant) - not until there is an actual problem. It may be a cost (oh, certification); but those detectors are generally small and lightweight. There may or may not be very useful, but that is a different story
 
mmahpeel
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:18 pm

Re: Toxic fumes

Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:28 pm

I remember this issue was in the press in the local Seattle papers a few decades ago related to Alaska Airlines crew and fume events on the MD80 series.

Here is something from the Seattle Times archives:

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archiv ... ug=2967560

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos