Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SuperGee
Topic Author

Returning Stored Aircraft To The Skies

Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:09 pm

Now that the MAX and other stored aircraft are starting to return to the skies, it's interesting to see exactly what it takes to accomplish that. This article contains information that I had never known before and had long been curious about. I'm sure others will find it interesting as well.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airp ... index.html

smartplane

Re: Returning Stored Aircraft To The Skies

Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:07 am

SuperGee wrote:
Now that the MAX and other stored aircraft are starting to return to the skies, it's interesting to see exactly what it takes to accomplish that. This article contains information that I had never known before and had long been curious about. I'm sure others will find it interesting as well.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airp ... index.html

Other steps are on most WB aircraft, and some NB, paying engine return to service fees, and changing monthly payments from stored to operational status. Similar for insurance premiums and cover.

SuperGee
Topic Author

Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:01 am

I frankly also thought the 40 man hour figure quoted for a narrow body and 100 man hours for a wide body actually seemed lower than i would have thought. I wonder how accurate those figures are.

FlyHappy

Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:47 am

The article was going along fine until nearly then end, when:

"...newer aircraft such as the A350 and the triple sevens will be the first to fly"

newer?

Yeastbeast

Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:12 am

FlyHappy wrote:
The article was going along fine until nearly then end, when:

"...newer aircraft such as the A350 and the triple sevens will be the first to fly"

newer?

Picking the nits much? This is an article aimed at the general public. Not ubernerds on a specialty website. Relax, have a glass (or 7) of holiday cheer, and let's just not sweat the small stuff.

Happy whatever you celebrate!
Brewers make the wort, the yeast makes the beer.

WesternDC6B

Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:51 pm

My question: where do they store all those sets of ignition and door-lock keys? And, to find the planes, do they walk about, clicking the fob until they hear a horn (hooter) beep? :duck:
Never employ grandios verbiage when the utilisation of diminutive phraseology will suffice.

m1m2

Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:52 pm

Good question, if you gave me the key, I still couldn't find the ignition to use it in! We have had engineers at work telling apprentices to get the key for the Dash 8 so he could run it, not sure if the young guy fell for it or not.

As for how to find the planes, I'm sure the facility operator just points out and says "it's the white one" lol.

With all the upheaval going on in the industry I'm just glad someone still knows how to have fun.

Starlionblue

Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:35 pm

m1m2 wrote:
Good question, if you gave me the key, I still couldn't find the ignition to use it in! We have had engineers at work telling apprentices to get the key for the Dash 8 so he could run it, not sure if the young guy fell for it or not.

As for how to find the planes, I'm sure the facility operator just points out and says "it's the white one" lol.

With all the upheaval going on in the industry I'm just glad someone still knows how to have fun.

"It's the white one," and then ask for a tail that's parked in behind 10 other aircraft. ;)
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

m1m2

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:58 am

Then you'll have to find the keys for those 10 to move them first. Maybe some of them have remote start to warm them up or cool them down for more comfort.

Now, to be a little more serious about the question, the length of time to get the aircraft back in service depends on the length of the storage. If it was short term storage, then it's pretty quick to get back in service, long term storage requires a little more as the oil and fuel systems will have been preserved, requiring fluid changes/de-inhibiting runs. This is for the CRJ aircraft, I can't speak directly to Boeing's requirements.

milhaus

Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:40 pm

You do not need keys for most Airbuses, but to move them You need to install bateries or connect GPU to release parking brake and there is storage requirement to turn all wheels 1/3 turn each 15 days to save tyres.

milhaus

Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:41 pm

You do not need keys for most Airbuses, but to move them You need to install bateries or connect GPU to release parking brake and there is storage requirement to turn all wheels 1/3 turn each 15 days to save tyres.