Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aftx91
Topic Author

Can flight crew operate across 2 different AOCs?

Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:52 pm

Hey guys/girls,

The title pretty much sums up my question, this is more in regards to European flying than NA.
For example, can a Ryanair UK pilot fly Ryanair "main" aircraft? Can a Wizzair UK pilot fly Wizz "main" aircraft, Easyjet UK fly on "Alpine", HiFly pilots flying on HiFly Malta and so on, you get the point!

I've searched it and found results about EASA Interoperability, but couldn't find anything set in stone with regards to a yes or no.

Many thanks!

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Can flight crew operate across 2 different AOCs?

Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:22 pm

True about being an EU question, the infamous scope clauses eliminates the problem.

zeke

Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:04 am

Yes it is possible, it does require some training like safety training to be done under multiple AOCs.

European carriers that have the same brand under different AOCs have their training streamlined so the assessments are performed for multiple AOCs at the same time, and procedures are the same. The overriding requirements of EU OPS are the same.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

747classic

Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:06 am

zeke wrote:
Yes it is possible, it does require some training like safety training to be done under multiple AOCs.

European carriers that have the same brand under different AOCs have their training streamlined so the assessments are performed for multiple AOCs at the same time, and procedures are the same. The overriding requirements of EU OPS are the same.

UK is no EU anymore, so inside the UK this will be perhaps true, UK versus EU i'm not sure.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

mattyfitzg

Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:47 pm

747classic wrote:
zeke wrote:

UK is no EU anymore, so inside the UK this will be perhaps true, UK versus EU i'm not sure.

U.K. Pilots can still fly European aircraft with a certification from an EASA Member state I believe, so it can still happen.

zeke

Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:39 pm

mattyfitzg wrote:

U.K. Pilots can still fly European aircraft with a certification from an EASA Member state I believe, so it can still happen.

EasyJet for example converted all of their crews FCLs to Austria
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

bigb

Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:27 pm

In the US, absolutely. Atlas/Polar are still two separate operating certificates

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:33 pm

2 AOCs but I don’t think the crews have an integrated seniority list, hence they’re flying one AOC or the other.

TOGA10

Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:27 pm

zeke wrote:
mattyfitzg wrote:

EasyJet for example converted all of their crews FCLs to Austria

Not completely, only the crews not based in the UK.
I wanna go back upstairs!

747classic

Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:35 am

EASA FAQ about operating aircrew and aircraft after December 31th 2020 (Brexit) :
https://www.easa.europa.eu/the-agency/f ... -licensing
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.