Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

maps4ltd
Topic Author

Can someone explain all the components of this ORD METAR?

Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:06 am

The metar in question:
KORD 310451Z 10016G23KT 1/4SM R10L/5000V5500FT +SN FZFG VV006 M01/M03 A2984 RMK AO2 SLP111 DRSN P0005 T10111028

I can tell the wind, visibility, and basic format, but what about other components like "A2984" and P0005?
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

JustAnFO

Re: Can someone explain all the components of this ORD METAR?

Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:08 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maps4ltd
Topic Author

Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:17 am

Thank you.
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

zeke

Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:20 am

Location...........: KORD
Day of month.......: 31
Time...............: 04:51 UTC
Wind...............: true direction = 100 degrees; speed = 16 knots with gusts of 23 knots
Visibility: 1/4 Statute Miles
+SN............: heavy snow
FZFG............: freezing fog
VV006: Vertical visibility: 600 feet
Temperature........: -01 degrees Celsius
Dewpoint...........: -03 degrees Celsius
QNH: 29.84 inHg
Type of automated station - A02 with precipitation reporting
SLP111 : Sea-level Pressure (1011.1 mb)
DRSN : low drifting snow
P0005 : Hourly Precipitation Amount in hundreths of inches (0.05)
T10111028 - Hourly temperature and dew point in tenths degrees C, leading 1=minus sign, -1.1/-2.8 deg C
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

Francoflier

Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:18 am

In plain English, it means: "go land somewhere else".
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

zeke

Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:32 am

Francoflier wrote:
In plain English, it means: "go land somewhere else".

FOs walk around !
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

Starlionblue

Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:20 am

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

flyingturtle

Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:40 am

Starlionblue wrote:
[img]jPP0yHh.jpg[/img]

ROFL!

And on my Linux 'pooter, I have a utility named "metar" (it's part of the FlightGear flight sim):

[email protected] ~> metar kord
KORD 310951Z 08012G22KT 1SM R10L/P6000FT -SN BR BKN008 OVC012 M01/M03 A2980 RMK AO2 SLP097 P0001 T10111028
[email protected] ~> metar -d kord
KORD 310951Z 08012G22KT 1SM R10L/P6000FT -SN BR BKN008 OVC012 M01/M03 A2980 RMK AO2 SLP097 P0001 T10111028
Station : KORD
Day : 31
Time : 09:51 UTC
Wind direction: 80 (E)
Wind speed : 12 KT
Wind gust : 22 KT
Visibility : 1 SM
Temperature : -1 C
Dewpoint : -3 C
Pressure : 29.80 "Hg
Clouds : BKN at 800 ft
OVC at 1200 ft
Phenomena : Light Snow
Mist
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

Max Q

Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:48 pm

Never understood why TAF’s and METARS are ever displayed in coded form anymore !

Important information should be clearly displayed and instantly understood by all users
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:32 pm

Is it that hard? And what language should the decoded form be in? BR is mist, comes from brume in French, should it be spelled mist or brume? Admittedly, it’s weather geeks or scientists (choose your term of art) in charge of this stuff.

It’s in French because like UTC, we wouldn’t want it all in English, now would we?

See,

http://www.cfidarren.com/r-metarmystery.htm

flyingturtle

Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:24 pm

Max Q wrote:
Never understood why TAF’s and METARS are ever displayed in coded form anymore !

Important information should be clearly displayed and instantly understood by all users

The coded form had a big advantage: It was easy to transmit them with (radio) telegrams.

The coded form still has a big advantage: Computers can deal with them very easily. In theory, Garmin/Thales/Raytheon/whoever could create an avionics suite which reads the METAR, and yells at the pilots: "It's instrument conditions and you still haven't set up an instrument approach! Arrrgh! Turn in your pilot's license! Bark bark!"
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:10 pm

It took awhile for me to stop using the circle for clear, one line thru the circle for scattered, two for broke and cross for ovc, which simpler to write than SCT, BKN, OVC. Confuses the new co-pilots all hollow.

r6russian

Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:23 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Is it that hard? And what language should the decoded form be in? BR is mist, comes from brume in French, should it be spelled mist or brume? Admittedly, it’s weather geeks or scientists (choose your term of art) in charge of this stuff.

It’s in French because like UTC, we wouldn’t want it all in English, now would we?

See,

Ill never forget my ground school instructor talking about METARs explaining all the abbreviations and he hit us with this one: BR is baby rain.

And he also mentioned that METAR code is not only used for aviation, its also used by national weather service and their equivalents around the world. They mainly use all the extra code at the end of the METAR whereas aviation deals with the front part but having a worldwide standard system just makes sense. Hell, METAR temperature in america is in celsius, not fahrenheit. And personally i find reading METAR code very easy and intuitive, quick 10 second scan of a single line of text tells you pretty much all you need to know about weather at an airport

Max Q

Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:31 pm

‘Barely raining’ is what we use

It’s not that hard to interpret but what’s the point ? This is not a National security issue !

There’s several obscure codes that dont deserve the time taken to interpret

Plain English, no abbreviations in METARS, TAF’S and NOTAMS should be the required standard worldwide

GGg

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:44 pm

But, some codes are based on plain French! And, how would weather geeks remain geeks if not for using special codes. Pilots do it all the time, heck, we have whole conversations no outsider would understand.

While weather is easy, I agree on NOTAMs, most are so obscure and indecipherable as to be useless, often ignored.

Max Q

Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:52 pm

IIRC ‘socked in’ derives from the earliest days of aviation and the practice at French airfields of removing the windsock and taking it inside when visibility and ceiling dropped to negligible, this was a sign to pilots the field was closed

How they were supposed to see it is different question..

GGg

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:45 pm

Difficult to see the sock from the bistro or the bordello!

Back to codes, I was tech stopping in Khabarovsk one snowy morning from PANC. The Russian navigator met us and gave me a complete briefing on our short flight to Beijing, including decoding the weather and every last NOTAM—great service. Better than the one I flew with later in southern Siberia.

CosmicCruiser

Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:14 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
But, some codes are based on plain French! And, how would weather geeks remain geeks if not for using special codes. Pilots do it all the time, heck, we have whole conversations no outsider would understand.

While weather is easy, I agree on NOTAMs, most are so obscure and indecipherable as to be useless, often ignored.

Agree. We used to debate with the co., when in DEL, as to whether we should read all 30 pages of NOTAMS and be late or take the last most current and go.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:23 am

CosmicCruiser wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Agree. We used to debate with the co., when in DEL, as to whether we should read all 30 pages of NOTAMS and be late or take the last most current and go.

At DEL, plenty of time to read the on the taxi-out sometimes! :P

SAAFNAV

Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:31 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

See,

Contrary to popular believe, UTC is not because of the French. It is a compromise between the CUT of English and TUC for French, with the added bonus of keeping in line with the UTx convention, which UT0, UT1, UT2, UT1R established before UTC was defined.
ex L-382G Loadmaster, ex C-130B Navigator, Möchtegern Flugzeugführer

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:00 pm

What is the UTx convention? What’s UT1, for example. What was wrong with using GMT and Z?

SAAFNAV

Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:44 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
What is the UTx convention? What’s UT1, for example. What was wrong with using GMT and Z?

GMT and Zulu time zones are just that, time zones based on longitude and some somewhat arbitrary squiggles for convenience.

Universal time is a time standard, defining the duration of time.
Time standards can be derived from various sources, and in history started with the obvious like the sun's daily position, the stars' position etc.

Universal time is based upon the earth's rotation with regards to distant celestial objects corrected for various effects.
As the earth's rotation is slowly slowing down, the definition of a second would change.

UTC is universal time measured with atomic clocks, corrected for the slowing down of the Earth's rotation with leap seconds.
That also leads to the difference between UTC and GPS time: the ephemeris clock for GPS is not corrected for leap seconds, leading to ~18sec difference.

SAAFNAV

Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:39 pm

[quote="SAAFNAV"][/quote]

Added from Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Time

UT0 is Universal Time determined at an observatory by observing the diurnal motion of stars or extragalactic radio sources, and also from ranging observations of the Moon and artificial Earth satellites. The location of the observatory is considered to have fixed coordinates in a terrestrial reference frame (such as the International Terrestrial Reference Frame) but the position of the rotational axis of the Earth wanders over the surface of the Earth; this is known as polar motion. UT0 does not contain any correction for polar motion. The difference between UT0 and UT1 is on the order of a few tens of milliseconds. The designation UT0 is no longer in common use.[13]
UT1 is the principal form of Universal Time. While conceptually it is mean solar time at 0° longitude, precise measurements of the Sun are difficult. Hence, it is computed from determining the positions of distant quasars using long baseline interferometry, laser ranging of the Moon and artificial satellites, as well as the determination of GPS satellite orbits. UT1 is the same everywhere on Earth, and is proportional to the rotation angle of the Earth with respect to distant quasars, specifically, the International Celestial Reference Frame (ICRF), neglecting some small adjustments. The observations allow the determination of a measure of the Earth's angle with respect to the ICRF, called the Earth Rotation Angle (ERA, which serves as a modern replacement for Greenwich Mean Sidereal Time). UT1 is required to follow the relationship

UT1R is a smoothed version of UT1, filtering out periodic variations due to tides. It includes 62 smoothing terms, with periods ranging from 5.6 days to 18.6 years.[15]
UT2 is a smoothed version of UT1, filtering out periodic seasonal variations. It is mostly of historic interest and rarely used anymore.

UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) is an atomic timescale that approximates UT1. It is the international standard on which civil time is based. It ticks SI seconds, in step with TAI. It usually has 86,400 SI seconds per day but is kept within 0.9 seconds of UT1 by the introduction of occasional intercalary leap seconds. As of 2016, these leaps have always been positive (the days which contained a leap second were 86,401 seconds long). Whenever a level of accuracy better than one second is not required, UTC can be used as an approximation of UT1. The difference between UT1 and UTC is known as DUT1.[17]

SAAFNAV

Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:02 am

SAAFNAV wrote:
Universal time is a time standard, defining the duration of time.
Time standards can be derived from various sources, and in history started with the obvious like the sun's daily position, the stars' position etc.

Universal time is based upon the earth's rotation with regards to distant celestial objects corrected for various effects.
As the earth's rotation is slowly slowing down, the definition of a second would change.

I beg your pardon, this statement came out a bit wrong.

The second is fixed by the SI, based on the decay of the Cesium atom.
Rather, time standards are in place to set the 'zero point' of time.

A day is 86 400 secs, but suppose you measure the position of a star every day at the same time, the position will slowly change due to the aforementioned slowing down of the Earth's rotation.
Thus, the time standard fixes the zero point of the GMT zone, according to the UTC standard.

TOGA10

Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:10 am

Max Q wrote:
Plain English, no abbreviations in METARS, TAF’S and NOTAMS should be the required standard worldwide

I agree with you on the NOTAM part, however for WX, METARs and TAFs work fine. I've never met a fellow professional pilot who was struggling to understand the coding (it's hardly rocket science, and if you're not sure, there are at least a dozen sources where you can find the code) and as stated above, you can see in a glimpse what the situation around you is. Whilst en-route, print of 4 METARs and you know what's going on around/below you. However, having to read through a whole page of paper will take much longer. Especially when time is of the essence, short codings make a lot more sense and also saves quite some paper and mess in the flight deck.
I wanna go back upstairs!

LucaDiMontanari

Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:01 pm

TOGA10 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

I agree with you on the NOTAM part, however for WX, METARs and TAFs work fine. I've never met a fellow professional pilot who was struggling to understand the coding (it's hardly rocket science, and if you're not sure, there are at least a dozen sources where you can find the code) and as stated above, you can see in a glimpse what the situation around you is. Whilst en-route, print of 4 METARs and you know what's going on around/below you. However, having to read through a whole page of paper will take much longer. Especially when time is of the essence, short codings make a lot more sense and also saves quite some paper and mess in the flight deck.

I absolutely second that! I mean, I am just a small PPL C172 jockey and I never had any issues to decode a METAR or TAF. In almost every job one has to learn a specific set of skills and learning to decode a METAR is one of these for pilots. It is like learning to speak a language. As one gets used to it, you read it like plain text without even thinking about. Even for non-native english speakers - a plain english text would not do that.

wxtech

Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:36 pm

BR is light fog. It is not precipitation. FG is reported with a sfc vis of 1/2 mile or less. BR for 3/4 up to 6 miles.

Starlionblue

Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:14 am

wxtech wrote:
BR is light fog. It is not precipitation. FG is reported with a sfc vis of 1/2 mile or less. BR for 3/4 up to 6 miles.

BR is mist, which I guess is light fog but has its own name. :)
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

zeke

Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:32 am

Starlionblue wrote:
BR is mist, which I guess is light fog but has its own name. :)

They are essentially the same weather phenomena, if the visibility is less than 1000 m it will be reported as fog, greater than 1000 m it is reported as mist.

bigb

Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:40 pm

TOGA10 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Yeah, I prefer raw data TAFs and METARs, I can briefly scan the raw data METAR and TAFs for triggers that have me look into the weather deeper or go ahead roll.