Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FligtReporter
Topic Author

The Magic of "CAT IIIB"

Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:44 pm

The Magic of CAT IIIB

As the name suggests this thread is about learning more of this wonder of aviation called ILS CAT IIIB which I got to experience for the very first time at my home base Lucknow International Airport(LKO) a week or so ago.

It was such a thrill to experience a landing where all of a sudden,as the aircraft came closer the airport ,everything was white even the sharklets of the Airbus 321Neo couldnt be seen and just few seconds later I could blurringly see the Runway Borderline as the plane touched down and thats all,Nothing more than may be 20-30 meters from the window was visible even the taxiways were hardly visible.It was a blind landing and I was still in doubt as to what had just happened ! Though I knew within that probably serendipitously I may have just experienced what I always dreamt of and thats why after the aircraft came to a full stop I requested one of the Cabin Crew to ask the Captain if it were a CATIIIB landing and the Captain Confirmed it to me and I've been on cloud 9 since then lol.

This experience has made me curious to find out more about this wonder of the aviation world where even at thick fog conditions like the one I experienced,the A321NX I was on, made one of the smoothest landings Ive ever had.

I also wanna point out that more than the landing itself I personally reckon the taxing procedure to be more complexed.So in all my previous flights I have seen ACs taking next possible taxiway as soon as they are slow enough to exit the runway after the landing run, however, During this approach and landing it was all different and while we were taxing I was busy making my own dumb assumptions as to Pilots not being familiar with the Airport and things like that lol But obviously After talking to some people I know in the aviation I got to know about the SOPs at my home airport and why did our aircraft went all the way to the end of the runway only to make a 180 degree turn and backtrack to vacate via Taxiway C instead of other Taxiways.

Overall,Its an experience I would recommend every Avgeek to have, its just surreal and special.Im thankful that my home airport has CAT IIIB ILS and now I will make sure to fly in December and Jan ( Foggiest days in North India) just for the sake of experiencing this Magic of CAT IIIB.

I'd love to hear your experiences of Blind Landings if any ?

estorilm

Re: The Magic of "CAT IIIB"

Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:16 pm

I could be wrong, but while almost all aircraft support CATIIIB landings (and airports too, I believe) it usually violates company minimums IIRC.
Your decision height can be as low as 15m and RVR of 50.

It is pretty cool, also your experience isn't shared by all on these landings, as I've seen people closing their window shades or looking away LOL.

Hopefully a pilot can chime in here too, but roll-out is a big consideration in addition to the CAT-IIIB capability of the aircraft, I believe certain equipment on ground/aircraft has to be functional for different levels.

I'm not sure on the traffic at the time, but ATC's min separation due to weather probably allowed a full-length roll-out if the pilots wanted - doubt it was busy at the time with weather like that lol. Probably why they didn't take the first available taxiway - company likes them to take it easy on the brakes if possible too.

One thing that's interesting is your description of the landing - I feel like I've generally heard that auto-lands were rougher than usual, especially touchdown.

FlyHossD

Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:05 pm

estorilm wrote:
I could be wrong, but while almost all aircraft support CATIIIB landings (and airports too, I believe) it usually violates company minimums IIRC.

It is pretty cool, also your experience isn't shared by all on these landings, as I've seen people closing their window shades or looking away LOL.

Hopefully a pilot can chime in here too, but roll-out is a big consideration in addition to the CAT-IIIB capability of the aircraft, I believe certain equipment on ground/aircraft has to be functional for different levels.

I'm not sure on the traffic at the time, but ATC's min separation due to weather probably allowed a full-length roll-out if the pilots wanted - doubt it was busy at the time with weather like that lol. Probably why they didn't take the first available taxiway - company likes them to take it easy on the brakes if possible too.

One thing that's interesting is your description of the landing - I feel like I've generally heard that auto-lands were rougher than usual, especially touchdown.

As I recall, "Alert Heights" can be as low as 50' - but that's not a Decision Height or Decision Altitude. Rather, its just a reminder that you're almost there.

Since retiring from my carrier, I haven't flown any approach lower than a 600' ceiling and 1 mile visibility. But my first approach below CAT I was intended as a CAT I. At 200', I could see the REIL strobes, so was legal to continue to 100'. Once there, I could see a couple of runway centerline lights and I focused on hand flying the localizer and glideslope. It was only after landing that I realized the visibility wasn't the reported 1800' - it was more like 800'. Minutes later, the airport reported 0 visibility; it was a very long and very slow taxi in to the FBO ramp.

I've had auto-lands that were somewhat firm and some that were deliciously smooth. In my recollection, the firmer ones seem to have involved a crosswind. Tracking the centerline wasn't difficult in any of the low-viz approaches that I remember.

On at least two occasions, we had a jumpseater for a CAT II or III approach and it was their first experience at seeing one. Both were regional airline pilots and said it was exciting to observe.

There are many such stories in my logbook...
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

IAHFLYR

Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:08 pm

CAT IIIB minimums have been around for quite some time as well as aircraft and crew authorization to fly them. Landing with an RVR of 600' is very interesting from alright. From a tower controllers perspective many times the tops would be maybe 100' and our tower at IAH is 336' tall, we'd see the arrival go into the tops but never see them land, only from the ASD-X did we know they were on the ground. It is great that you got to experience that type of approach and landing and hope you get to find yourself on another approach again soon.

estorilm wrote:

Not quite sure of your statement, but if the aircraft and crew are certified to land with CAT IIIB mins how would it "violate company minimums"?

On the ATC side, separation standards do not change for any IFR weather here in the U.S. We can use 2.5 NM separation on final if no wake turbulence increase in separation is required and the runway has a documented 50 second or less occupancy time which most larger airports support, though in CAT III weather we'd normally run traffic 3-4 NM on final just so we had no go-arounds should the preceding arrival not exit the runway in a timely manner. Nothing worse than having another aircraft put back into the pattern during an arrival bank.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:14 pm

estorilm wrote:

Nice to see your opinion on this..BTW I took the whole approach and landing video too and I don't know how to share it here but If I could I'd surely would share it with you all.

Oh and I didn't go in details in my previous post about my Home Airport regarding the Taxiway procedures.Actually after my research I found out that my home airport as of (Feb 2021) only has one taxiway and four parking bays equipped with CAT IIIB lighting system and those are TAXIWAY C and Parking Bays 11,12,13 and 14 and thats why our aircraft backtracked after turning at the turnpad at the end of the runway and went all the way back and exited through Taxiway C even though it could have exited through E and D as well but it didn't..I guess its a normal Standard Operating Procedure at LKO.

I'd love to interact with pilots to learn more about it.

IAHFLYR

Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:16 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
On at least two occasions, we had a jumpseater for a CAT II or III approach and it was their first experience at seeing one. Both were regional airline pilots and said it was exciting to observe.

Ahhh the jumpseat for low IFR weather mins, every controller should have witnessed that from the flight deck.

I totally forgot that I did get the chance to be up front during a CAT II at DEN, had to look back in my "jumpseat" book to find it after reading your post. Strange enough as many jumpseats as I took back into IAH in the day, could not find any notes of less than 1,800' RVR which was nothing compared!!
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:18 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
estorilm wrote:

As I recall, "Alert Heights" can be as low as 50' - but that's not a Decision Height or Decision Altitude. Rather, its just a reminder that you're almost there.

Since retiring from my carrier, I haven't flown any approach lower than a 600' ceiling and 1 mile visibility. But my first approach below CAT I was intended as a CAT I. At 200', I could see the REIL strobes, so was legal to continue to 100'. Once there, I could see a couple of runway centerline lights and I focused on hand flying the localizer and glideslope. It was only after landing that I realized the visibility wasn't the reported 1800' - it was more like 800'. Minutes later, the airport reported 0 visibility; it was a very long and very slow taxi in to the FBO ramp.

I've had auto-lands that were somewhat firm and some that were deliciously smooth. In my recollection, the firmer ones seem to have involved a crosswind. Tracking the centerline wasn't difficult in any of the low-viz approaches that I remember.

WooW so you are a pilot...I didn't know we had pilots on these forums too...I have been looking to share my experiences and learn more about CAT IIIB from them people who fly the birds themselves...Its great to know about your experience sir.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:25 pm

IAHFLYR wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

Ahhh the jumpseat for low IFR weather mins, every controller should have witnessed that from the flight deck.

I totally forgot that I did get the chance to be up front during a CAT II at DEN, had to look back in my "jumpseat" book to find it after reading your post. Strange enough as many jumpseats as I took back into IAH in the day, could not find any notes of less than 1,800' RVR which was nothing compared!!

Are you a Pilot too Mr.IAH ? What AC type do you fly though BTW my flight was onboard a 321NX and the airport I landed is a single runway airport and before landing we had to be on a holding pattern which I remember it was 4 circuits before finally we landed and In my case the thick fog started approx 900 something meters from the runway as I could estimate from the Google maps and the video of the landing that I took..So We were over the Lights when it got pitch white and even after landing the fog was all around from the window I could see approx 30 Meters and that too blurred.

BTW at my home airport we just have one Taxiway with CAT III lighting system and 4 parking bays so that's why I guess it was the most unique and slow taxing I had ever experienced but it was all super fun for me.

Also thanks for sharing your experiences Mr.IAH would love to know more of such experiences and stories !

IAHFLYR

Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:59 pm

FligtReporter wrote:
IAHFLYR wrote:
Are you a Pilot too Mr.IAH ? What AC type do you fly though BTW my flight was onboard a 321NX and the airport I landed is a single runway airport and before landing we had to be on a holding pattern which I remember it was 4 circuits before finally we landed and In my case the thick fog started approx 900 something meters from the runway as I could estimate from the Google maps and the video of the landing that I took..So We were over the Lights when it got pitch white and even after landing the fog was all around from the window I could see approx 30 Meters and that too blurred.

BTW at my home airport we just have one Taxiway with CAT III lighting system and 4 parking bays so that's why I guess it was the most unique and slow taxing I had ever experienced but it was all super fun for me.

Also thanks for sharing your experiences Mr.IAH would love to know more of such experiences and stories !

I do have a Private License with around 1,500+ hours mostly in single engine Cessna's, Pipers, Moony, Twin Engine Cessna's, few hours in BE90 right seater and quite a few hours in CO level D MD80, B735, B738, B752 and B788 sims (very luck in my work to have been able to fly them). My career was ATC Tower and Approach Control.

That's my story and sticking with it!! :hyper:

From the ATC side of things, IFR weather made not much of a difference other than having to make sure you vectored aircraft to intercept the final approach course at the correct distance from the final approach fix or further out which during a bank of heavy arrival traffic was no issue at all as most times you were out some 20-25 miles on final for all three of our parallel runways at IAH.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:57 pm

IAHFLYR wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
IAHFLYR wrote:

I do have a Private License with around 1,500+ hours mostly in single engine Cessna's, Pipers, Moony, Twin Engine Cessna's, few hours in BE90 right seater and quite a few hours in CO level D MD80, B735, B738, B752 and B788 sims (very luck in my work to have been able to fly them). My career was ATC Tower and Approach Control.

That's my story and sticking with it!! :hyper:

From the ATC side of things, IFR weather made not much of a difference other than having to make sure you vectored aircraft to intercept the final approach course at the correct distance from the final approach fix or further out which during a bank of heavy arrival traffic was no issue at all as most times you were out some 20-25 miles on final for all three of our parallel runways at IAH.

Nice to know about your wonderful career experiences Mr IAH !! I can only imagine what's it like to be in a cockpit and flying one of these birds..I wish someday I get to be in a cockpit of a 787 etc.

Thenoflyzone

Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:58 pm

Good read from the FAA about CAT III technical stuff, including difference between CATIIIA and B, fail passive vs fail operational guidance systems on planes, which types of CATIII approaches have Alert height (AH) vs decision height (DH), etc.

https://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/8900.1/v04% ... chg_0a.htm

estorilm wrote:
I could be wrong, but while almost all aircraft support CATIIIB landings (and airports too, I believe)

You're most definitely wrong, at least about the airports. Most airports in the world don't even have CATII, much less CATIIIA, and even less airports have CATIIIB.

Yes, most commerical airliners with over 120 seats are and can be certified for CATIII, but it's a whole different ball game for airports. It costs a lot of money installing all the equipment necessary for CATIII approaches.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

estorilm

Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:31 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
Good read from the FAA about CAT III technical stuff, including difference between CATIIIA and B, fail passive vs fail operational guidance systems on planes, which types of CATIII approaches have Alert height (AH) vs decision height (DH), etc.

estorilm wrote:
I could be wrong, but while almost all aircraft support CATIIIB landings (and airports too, I believe)

You're most definitely wrong, at least about the airports. Most airports in the world don't even have CATII, much less CATIIIA, and even less airports have CATIIIB.

Yes, most commerical airliners with over 120 seats are and can be certified for CATIII, but it's a whole different ball game for airports. It costs a lot of money installing all the equipment necessary for CATIII approaches.

Thanks for the clarification, I live outside of Dulles/IAD and most of the large airports around here are pretty modernized.

I did actually research a couple companies before that post and they still listed the altitudes as "decision height" and RVR, but your wording certainly makes more sense.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:03 pm

Until not too long, Australia didn’t have a CAT III in the country, but I see YPPH and YMML do now. YSSY only has CAT II capability.

BoeingGuy

Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:33 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
estorilm wrote:

On Boeing airplanes “Alert Height” is 200 feet AGL. It’s part of the Autopilot design, not something selectable by the crew. Change in Autoland status is inhibited below 200 feet.

More precisely on the 777-9 and 787 any change in Autoland Status in inhibited. On other models, a change from LAND 3 to LAND 2 is inhibited, but you could degrade to NO AUTOLAND.

Does Alert Height mean something different for other types of airplanes?

Flow2706

Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:14 am

The significance of the alert height is that below that height an approach could be continued even if failures occur. For the A320 family the AH is 100ft and as far as I know it is 200ft for the other Airbus aircraft. The official EASA definition (from CS-AWO) is as follows: "The alert height is a specified radio height, based on the characteristics of the aeroplane and its fail-operational landing system. In operational use, if a failure occurred above the alert height in one of the required redundant operational systems in the aeroplane (including, where appropriate, ground roll guidance and the reversionary mode in a hybrid system), the approach would be discontinued and a go-around executed unless reversion to a higher decision height is possible. If a failure in one of the required redundant operational systems occurred below the alert height, it would be ignored and the approach continued."
CAT3 conditions are quite rare, I have never encountered actual CAT3 conditions in 8 years of airline flying. I did two or three CAT2 approaches, but those turned out to be CAT1 in reality (weather improvement during our approach). There are quite some requirements to perform a CAT 2 or 3 approach for the operator, one of them is a requirement to occasionally perform and document auto lands in VMC conditions. There is also a training requirement for the pilots and Low visibility operation is included in every sim if the company is LVO approved. One very interesting exercise in the sim is a low visibility takeoff with an RVR of 125m with an engine failure after 100kts immediately followed by a total loss of visibility (effect of a fog bank etc.). While it's not a realistic exercise (two failures/situations occurring at the same time) it is remarkable to see that it's not difficult to keep the aircraft close to the centerline during the RTO as the yaw bar indication is really precise.

Starlionblue

Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:56 am

IAHFLYR wrote:
CAT IIIB minimums have been around for quite some time as well as aircraft and crew authorization to fly them. Landing with an RVR of 600' is very interesting from alright. From a tower controllers perspective many times the tops would be maybe 100' and our tower at IAH is 336' tall, we'd see the arrival go into the tops but never see them land, only from the ASD-X did we know they were on the ground. It is great that you got to experience that type of approach and landing and hope you get to find yourself on another approach again soon.

estorilm wrote:

Not quite sure of your statement, but if the aircraft and crew are certified to land with CAT IIIB mins how would it "violate company minimums"?

Even if a runway has a low visibility approach with minima lower than Cat I, the company often has its own minima for said airports. E.g. if there is a Cat IIIA approach with 50ft minima, the company may only approve 100ft. Our company airport documents specify low visibility minima for every airport we fly into that has low visibility approaches. Obviously, these company minima can at most be as low as the published ones.

BoeingGuy wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
estorilm wrote:

On Boeing airplanes “Alert Height” is 200 feet AGL. It’s part of the Autopilot design, not something selectable by the crew. Change in Autoland status is inhibited below 200 feet.

More precisely on the 777-9 and 787 any change in Autoland Status in inhibited. On other models, a change from LAND 3 to LAND 2 is inhibited, but you could degrade to NO AUTOLAND.

Does Alert Height mean something different for other types of airplanes?

The meaning is the same on Airbus, and alert height is 200feet there too.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Until not too long, Australia didn’t have a CAT III in the country, but I see YPPH and YMML do now. YSSY only has CAT II capability.

Indeed. Then again, YSSY doesn't need it because visibility that low rarely occurs in Sydney. Same at most other Australian ports.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:26 am

True, but crews over the years have caught out when the forecast didn’t turn out. Maybe more often at Perth.

Starlionblue

Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:33 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
True, but crews over the years have caught out when the forecast didn’t turn out. Maybe more often at Perth.

The issue with Perth is that is quite isolated. So much so that island reserve is often used instead of an alternate.

Melbourne just has frequent low visibility. :)
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:59 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:

estorilm wrote:

You are right about CAT IIIB equipped airports being a rarity.I know of my country (India) which has only 6 airports ,including my home base,which are CAT IIIB approved and bigger airports like BOM,MAA,HYD don't even have it,probably because they don't get as foggy as most North Indian cities and it is very costly to maintain them and I have also read that its an all together a different ballgame when it comes to CATIIIB operations where the localiser Sensitive Area needs to be cleared for successfull ops and I believe even the Holding aircrafts have different positions at taxiways if there is an arriving aircraft especially airports with single runway and limited taxiways and parking bays with apt lighting systems for CATIIIB ops and its a very slow and careful process probably thats why it can't be used as oftenly.

Starlionblue

Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:26 am

FligtReporter wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

estorilm wrote:

You are right about CAT IIIB equipped airports being a rarity.I know of my country (India) which has only 6 airports ,including my home base,which are CAT IIIB approved and bigger airports like BOM,MAA,HYD don't even have it,probably because they don't get as foggy as most North Indian cities and it is very costly to maintain them and I have also read that its an all together a different ballgame when it comes to CATIIIB operations where the localiser Sensitive Area needs to be cleared for successfull ops and I believe even the Holding aircrafts have different positions at taxiways if there is an arriving aircraft especially airports with single runway and limited taxiways and parking bays with apt lighting systems for CATIIIB ops and its a very slow and careful process probably thats why it can't be used as oftenly.

The sensitive area does indeed need when Low Visibility Procedures are in effect. Holding aircraft are in a different position because they need to be further from the threshold. That's why you'll often see a CATII/III holding point further from the runway compared to the ordinary holding point.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:10 am

Starlionblue wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

The sensitive area does indeed need when Low Visibility Procedures are in effect. Holding aircraft are in a different position because they need to be further from the threshold. That's why you'll often see a CATII/III holding point further from the runway compared to the ordinary holding point.

Ahaan...well I'm not a pilot and never been in the cockpit seat in my life but all the info that I learnt is by my own research and sheer curiosity of this Technology.I mean I always knew that CAT IIIB is the most advanced ILS being used on the planet and I wished to experience it atleast once in my life as an avgeek so its serendepitous for me to have experienced it and the whole uniqueness of it all intrigued me to further learn about it and I began by reading the low visibility procedures at my own Home airport and understood a little about it,however,Im sure there may be many more technicalities that are involved in carrying out a successful CAT IIIB approach and landings that I may never know but it was certainly a thrilling experience for me and I'll remember it forever so much so that I have already etched the names of the Pilots,Aircraft Registration,Parking bay No,My seat in my memory lolz

Starlionblue

Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:35 am

The main thing that always strikes me about autoland in low visibility is that despite the plane "flying for you", it is more work compared to a hand flown approach.
- More checking for the setup and briefing, including reviewing items in the QRH.
- More involved briefing, with contingencies for various failures included.
- For the PM, being heads down the entire final approach feels weird.

Even the actual approach feels like more work, because you're just watching the aircraft do its thing instead of lining it up yourself.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:16 am

BTW I have read a few comments on social media of people claiming LHR and JFK being the only CAT IIIC enabled airports in the world,however,as per my own research I have found that currently No Airport in the world is CAT IIIC equipped,So would I be right in claiming CAT IIIB as the presently used most advanced ILS system ?

If Im not wrong in CAT IIIC even the taxi would be done automatically right ? and If any of you here have experienced or know that these two airports have such automatic taxing facilities then kindly let me know.

Thanks

Flow2706

Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:23 am

FligtReporter wrote:
BTW I have read a few comments on social media of people claiming LHR and JFK being the only CAT IIIC enabled airports in the world,however,as per my own research I have found that currently No Airport in the world is CAT IIIC equipped,So would I be right in claiming CAT IIIB as the presently used most advanced ILS system ?

If Im not wrong in CAT IIIC even the taxi would be done automatically right ? and If any of you here have experienced or know that these two airports have such automatic taxing facilities then kindly let me know.

Thanks

Cat3c was a more or less experimental concept. As there is presently no certified automatic taxi system available (even though Airbus is working on the ATTOL, Automatic Taxi/Takeoff/Landing Concept) and taxiing manually in less than 75m visibility would be hazardous there is no point in being able to operate below 75m of RVR. The ground handling could also be an issue, driving around the airfield in dich conditions in a service vehicle wouldn’t be easy as well. The autopilot does not „know“ the RVR so for the landing it wouldn’t make a difference. Also RVRs of less than 75m are extremely rare.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:01 am

Flow2706 wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

Thanks

Cat3c was a more or less experimental concept. As there is presently no certified automatic taxi system available (even though Airbus is working on the ATTOL, Automatic Taxi/Takeoff/Landing Concept) and taxiing manually in less than 75m visibility would be hazardous there is no point in being able to operate below 75m of RVR. The ground handling could also be an issue, driving around the airfield in dich conditions in a service vehicle wouldn’t be easy as well. The autopilot does not „know“ the RVR so for the landing it wouldn’t make a difference. Also RVRs of less than 75m are extremely rare.

Thanks for elaborating on this subject Mr.Flow I remember the captian on my flight informed me of the RVR as 50 Meters and the fog did look very thick even when we had slowed down I could see it flowing by the wing however,at the other end of the runway it was dispersed and as we backtracked to vacate the RWY it was thick again...Quite surreal experience and I consider myself super duper lucky to have recorded it in a video and will have it to cherish forever.

Thenoflyzone

Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:05 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Even SYD only got it's CATII in late 2013, early 2014.

https://www.sydneyairport.com.au/corpor ... nthusiasts

An upgraded High Intensity Approach Lighting System was installed in 2013 on Runway 16R/34L and Sydney Airport received certification for Cat II landings in fog and adverse weather conditions from the Civil Aviation and Safety Authority in 2014.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Thenoflyzone

Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:12 am

FligtReporter wrote:

You are right about CAT IIIB equipped airports being a rarity.

Here in Canada, there are no CATIIIB airports/runways. Only 4 airports have CATIIIA approaches. YVR, YYC, YYZ and YYT. Calgary (YYC) and St. John's (YYT) only recenly got their CATIII certifications. A few other airports have up to CATII status, which are YWG, YMX, YHM, YUL and YHZ. Every other airport in the country which has an ILS is limited to CATI only.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:30 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

You are right about CAT IIIB equipped airports being a rarity.

Here in Canada, there are no CATIIIB airports/runways. Only 4 airports have CATIIIA approaches. YVR, YYC, YYZ and YYT. Calgary (YYC) and St. John's (YYT) only recenly got their CATIII certifications. A few other airports have up to CATII status, which are YWG, YMX, YHM, YUL and YHZ. Every other airport in the country which has an ILS is limited to CATI only.

WoW I didnt know that Canada had No CATIIIB Airports ..thats a shocker to me..but it certainly makes me feel very lucky to have experienced it..I mean my Home airport is a Single Runway Airport and not even close to YYZ or YVR and for us to have this is pretty amazing.

However,I think may be YYZ or YVR are not prone to as thick foggy conditions as we do here in North India so probably thats why they dont that system there anyways.

Thenoflyzone

Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:39 am

^ it’s not that big of a deal really.

Canada’s CAT IIIA minimums are RVR 600ft, same as most of the CAT IIIB’s in the US and Europe. (CAT IIIA’s in the US are mostly RVR 700ft)

Very few airports have certification for RVR 300ft minimums on CAT IIIB approaches. I think it’s only around 7 or so airports in the US and probably only a handful in Europe as well.

SEA, DEN, ATL, MEM, SLC, PDX and GEG have RVR 300 minimums for some of their CAT III approaches. That’s more or less it. It’s not much. Places like ORD or JFK are limited to RVR 600, same as in Canada CAT IIIA airports.

The only difference between CAT IIIA and B (apart from the fail passive/active bit and the rollout guidance that the CAT IIIB gives you) is that with the CATIIIA, you have a DH at 50ft, which is meaningless, honestly, as at that altitude, you're over the runway anway, and with a limiting RVR of 600ft, you're going to see the runway regardless.

So if your aircraft's guidance computers/autopilots are working fine, it is very unlikely that you won't be able to land at an airport with the CAT IIIA, but will be able with a CATIIIB. Unless you happen to be flying at one of those airports that are approved for RVR 300ft minimums on the CAT IIIB, and the visibility happens to be below 600ft.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:56 pm

Oh BTW I forgot to mention a very important detail of my CAT IIIB experience and that is that after landing our aircraft halted for a moment at mid runway before proceeding further to the turnpad to make 180° turn to backtrack it and then exit via the designated taxiway.

So I was wondering if this is a norm during such conditions or could it be that may be the pilots were taking instructions from the ATC to how to go ahead with the standard operating procedures for taxing in such conditions and thats why they halted ?

Thenoflyzone

Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:01 pm

VILK charts clearly state (p.17, paragraph 4.3.4) that aircraft shouldn’t stop on the runway so as not to interfere with ILS signal for subsequent landing aircraft during CATII or III operations.

Secondly, taxiway C is the only one with centerline lights, and is therefore the only one approved for arrival/departure during CATIIIA/B operations. Also, during CATIII, only stands 11 to 14 can be used, as they are the only ones that have centerline lighting and illuminated signs. All of this info is in the document. (P.17, at the bottom)

Read the low visibility procedures. It explains everything.

https://aim-india.aai.aero/eaip-v2//25- ... -en-GB.pdf
Last edited by Thenoflyzone on Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:26 pm

Like my name implies, operational CATIII’s are few and far between. Lots of money spent to keep the programs up on the airports, aircraft, and flight crews for very little actual use. I realize there are airports where their use is more common but I’m speaking for the program as a whole.

Thenoflyzone

Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:18 pm

FligtReporter wrote:
Oh BTW I forgot to mention a very important detail of my CAT IIIB experience and that is that after landing our aircraft halted for a moment

Forgot to add,

Even though your pilot stopped on the runway, it's not that big of a deal. During CATII and III operations, spacing on final between aircraft is increased significantly, in order to protect ILS critical and sensitive areas for each landing traffic. Previous lander has to clear the runway and the ILS critical area before the subsequent lander is 4NM final. This is standard around the world.

Not to mention that specifically at your airport, established arrival rates are pretty low. See page 1 of the document I linked above. (Bottom right corner)

Maximum number of arrival and departure- 12 (The minimum spacing BTN two successive ARR shall be more than 5 min)
Maximum number of arrival only – 06
Maximum number of departure only -10

If arrivals are spaced 5 minutes apart, you can stop on the runway and have some tea if you wanted to..... ;)

====================================================================================================

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
Like my name implies, operational CATIII’s are few and far between. Lots of money spent to keep the programs up on the airports, aircraft, and flight crews for very little actual use. I realize there are airports where their use is more common but I’m speaking for the program as a whole.

We have a CATII ILS at my airport, and low vis procedures for departures down to RVR 600ft. Ask me how many times a year we use these procedures. I've been there 5 years now, and we've used these procedures barely 2-3 times at most.

That's assuming they aren't unserviceable, which they often are, due to ongoing construction and rehabilitation work on the runways/taxiways.

Example: Scroll down to "outages and runway closures".

https://extranetapps.navcanada.ca/ois/ois.aspx

Agent

Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:50 pm

In Europe there are many Airports with CAT IIIb capability. The lowest you can get (operators have to be certified for that) is NO decision height (ZERO) and 75m RVR. During Autumn there are several occasions demanding low visibilty approaches, but 75m are quite rare. But if its getting lower than 300m RVR you have to do CAT IIIb opreation.
In this conditions diversions are very likely due to the massively higher seperation requirements on final.

N1120A

Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:34 pm

estorilm wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, I live outside of Dulles/IAD and most of the large airports around here are pretty modernized.

CAT III is hardly a "modern" concept. Exactly 2 large airports around you have CAT III approaches. IAD and BWI. Unless you also include RIC in that. DCA doesn't.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:47 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
VILK charts clearly state (p.17, paragraph 4.3.4) that aircraft shouldn’t stop on the runway so as not to interfere with ILS signal for subsequent landing aircraft during CATII or III operations.

Secondly, taxiway C is the only one with centerline lights, and is therefore the only one approved for arrival/departure during CATIIIA/B operations. Also, during CATIII, only stands 11 to 14 can be used, as they are the only ones that have centerline lighting and illuminated signs. All of this info is in the document. (P.17, at the bottom)

Read the low visibility procedures. It explains everything.

https://aim-india.aai.aero/eaip-v2//25- ... -en-GB.pdf

Oh Yes Thanks a lot for this link Mr flyzone ! this is where I gathered all the info pertaining to LVP at my home airport and while we were on landing roll I was making baseless assumptions regarding weird taxi style and also why did pilots backtracked and exited ONLY via taxiway C and parked at bay 13,but obviously I later found out because that is the only Taxiway approved for such operations.

BTW I was wondering if you could post me a link with weather conditions at my airport on 02nd Feb 2021 at around 8:00 AM - 9:00AM ? I'm trying hard to find it but don't seem to get it anywhere..do you know any website where I could find the past weather details of an airport ?

Thanks again Mr Flyzone !

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:55 am

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:

I think you haven't flown to India in winter months :lol:
I'm assuming DEL uses CATIIIB every other day from Late November to early February and same is the case at my home airport (LKO) which is just around 500KMs east of DEL and it experiences dense fog throughout the winter months especially DEC,JAN and early FEB.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:02 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
Oh BTW I forgot to mention a very important detail of my CAT IIIB experience and that is that after landing our aircraft halted for a moment

Forgot to add,

Even though your pilot stopped on the runway, it's not that big of a deal. During CATII and III operations, spacing on final between aircraft is increased significantly, in order to protect ILS critical and sensitive areas for each landing traffic. Previous lander has to clear the runway and the ILS critical area before the subsequent lander is 4NM final. This is standard around the world.

Not to mention that specifically at your airport, established arrival rates are pretty low. See page 1 of the document I linked above. (Bottom right corner)

Maximum number of arrival and departure- 12 (The minimum spacing BTN two successive ARR shall be more than 5 min)
Maximum number of arrival only – 06
Maximum number of departure only -10

Thanks a lot for your efforts in elaborating the details Mr FlyZone !

Starlionblue

Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:25 am

FligtReporter wrote:
Oh BTW I forgot to mention a very important detail of my CAT IIIB experience and that is that after landing our aircraft halted for a moment at mid runway before proceeding further to the turnpad to make 180° turn to backtrack it and then exit via the designated taxiway.

So I was wondering if this is a norm during such conditions or could it be that may be the pilots were taking instructions from the ATC to how to go ahead with the standard operating procedures for taxing in such conditions and thats why they halted ?

In low visibility, everything slows down. The rule is always "if in doubt, stop and ask", but in low viz it becomes even more important. It could be that ATC told them to backtrack for some reason.

Normally you'd take the first high speed in your direction, or whatever ATC told you. But if you can hardly see the runway, let alone the turnoffs, it isn't a bad idea to stop for a moment while Tower gives you vacating instructions.

Woodreau

Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:27 am

FligtReporter wrote:
BTW I was wondering if you could post me a link with weather conditions at my airport on 02nd Feb 2021 at around 8:00 AM - 9:00AM ? I'm trying hard to find it but don't seem to get it anywhere..do you know any website where I could find the past weather details of an airport ?

This is only for the past 120hr, i dont know how to go further in the past

https://aviationweather.gov/metar/data? ... &layout=on

I think the RVRs are reported in meters here and so I think bolded the METARs with visibility less than cat I - but i could be terribly wrong... I guess I should break out the airway manual section that discusses the differences for that FIR.

VILK 120200Z 00000KT 0100 R27/0200 FG VV/// 13/11 Q1015 BECMG 0150 FG
VILK 120130Z 00000KT 0100 R27/0400 FG VV/// 13/11 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 120100Z 00000KT 0200 R27/0150 FG VV/// 13/11 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 120030Z 00000KT 0300 R27/0300 FG VV/// 13/12 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 120000Z 00000KT 0400 R27/0300 FG VV/// 13/12 Q1014 BECMG 0300 FG
VILK 112330Z 00000KT 0800 R27/0700 MIFG NSC 14/13 Q1013 BECMG 0600 MIFG FG

VILK 112300Z 00000KT 0800 R27/0800 MIFG NSC 14/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 112230Z 00000KT 0800 R27/1000 MIFG NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 112200Z 00000KT 1000 R27/1000 MIFG NSC 15/13 Q1013 BECMG 0800 MIFG
VILK 112130Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 112100Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 112030Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 16/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 112000Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 111930Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/14 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 111900Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/14 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 111830Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 16/14 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 111800Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 16/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 111730Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 17/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 111700Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 17/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 111630Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 18/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 111600Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 18/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 111530Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 18/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 111500Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 19/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 111430Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 20/17 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 111400Z 00000KT 2500 BR NSC 21/17 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 111330Z 00000KT 2500 HZ NSC 21/16 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 111300Z 00000KT 3000 HZ NSC 22/17 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 111230Z VRB02KT 3000 HZ NSC 23/15 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 111200Z VRB02KT 3000 HZ NSC 25/15 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 111130Z 27003KT 3000 HZ NSC 26/15 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 111100Z 32005KT 3000 HZ NSC 26/15 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 111030Z 32004KT 3000 HZ NSC 27/15 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 111000Z 30004KT 3000 HZ NSC 26/14 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 110930Z 29006KT 3000 HZ NSC 27/14 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 110900Z 27003KT 3000 HZ NSC 27/15 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 110830Z 27003KT 3000 HZ NSC 26/16 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 110800Z 27005KT 3000 HZ NSC 26/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 110730Z VRB02KT 2500 HZ NSC 26/17 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 110700Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ NSC 26/17 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 110630Z VRB03KT 2000 HZ NSC 25/17 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 110600Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ NSC 24/18 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 110530Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 22/19 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 110500Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 22/19 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 110430Z VRB02KT 1200 R27/1800 BR NSC 20/17 Q1015 BECMG 1500 BR
VILK 110400Z VRB02KT 1000 R27/1400 MIFG NSC 18/16 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 110330Z 00000KT 0800 R27/1200 MIFG NSC 16/14 Q1015 NOSIG

VILK 110300Z 00000KT 0600 R27/0800 FG NSC 14/12 Q1015 BECMG 0800 MIFG
VILK 110230Z 00000KT 0200 R27/0400 FG NSC 12/10 Q1014 BECMG 0300 FG
VILK 110200Z 00000KT 0050 R27/0075 FG NSC 11/10 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 110130Z 00000KT 0050 R27/0075 FG NSC 11/10 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 110100Z 00000KT 0100 R27/0125 FG VV/// 11/10 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 110030Z 00000KT 0050 R27/0125 FG VV/// 12/10 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 110000Z 00000KT 0100 R27/0100 FG NSC 12/10 Q1012 NOSIG

VILK 102330Z 00000KT 0100 R27/0700 FG NSC 12/10 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 102300Z 00000KT 0200 R27/0500 FG NSC 12/11 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 102230Z 00000KT 0600 R27/0700 MIFG NSC 13/12 Q1012 BECMG 0300 FG
VILK 102200Z 00000KT 1000 R27/1500 BR NSC 14/13 Q1013 BECMG 0800 MIFG
VILK 102130Z 00000KT 1200 R27/1500 BR NSC 15/14 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 102100Z 00000KT 1500 R27/1800 BR NSC 15/14 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 102030Z 00000KT 1500 R27/1500 BR NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 102000Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/1900 BR NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101930Z 00000KT 1500 R27/1600 BR NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101900Z 00000KT 1500 R27/1500 BR NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101830Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101800Z 00000KT 1500 R27/1600 BR NSC 16/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101730Z 00000KT 1500 R27/1600 BR NSC 17/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101700Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 17/16 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101630Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 18/16 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101600Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 18/16 Q1013 BECMG 1500 BR
VILK 101530Z 00000KT 2000 HZ NSC 19/17 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101500Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ NSC 20/17 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101430Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ NSC 21/17 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101330Z 00000KT 2000 HZ NSC 21/17 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101300Z 00000KT 2500 HZ NSC 23/17 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 101230Z 29003KT 2500 HZ NSC 23/16 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 101200Z 29003KT 3000 HZ NSC 25/16 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 101130Z 25004KT 3000 HZ NSC 25/15 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 101100Z 25004KT 3000 HZ NSC 26/15 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 101030Z VRB02KT 3000 HZ NSC 26/16 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 101000Z 25004KT 3000 HZ SCT100 BKN200 26/15 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 100930Z VRB02KT 3000 HZ SCT100 BKN200 26/15 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 100900Z VRB02KT 2500 HZ BKN100 BKN200 25/14 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 100830Z VRB02KT 2500 HZ BKN100 BKN200 25/14 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 100800Z VRB02KT 2500 HZ SCT100 BKN200 25/14 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 100730Z VRB02KT 2500 HZ SCT100 BKN200 25/15 Q1013 BECMG 3000 HZ
VILK 100700Z VRB02KT 2500 HZ FEW100 SCT200 25/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 100630Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ FEW100 SCT200 24/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 100600Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ FEW100 SCT200 23/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 100530Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ FEW100 SCT200 22/17 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 100500Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 21/17 Q1015 BECMG 3000 HZ
VILK 100430Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 20/17 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 100400Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR SCT100 SCT200 17/13 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 100330Z 00000KT 0800 R27/1400 FG SCT100 SCT200 15/13 Q1014 BECMG 1500 BR
VILK 100300Z 00000KT 0700 R27/1200 FG SCT100 SCT200 14/12 Q1014 BECMG 0800 FG MIFG
VILK 100230Z 00000KT 0400 R27/0700 FG SCT100 12/10 Q1014 BECMG 0600 FG MIFG

VILK 100200Z 00000KT 0200 R27/0500 FG SCT100 12/10 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 100130Z 00000KT 0200 R27/0500 FG NSC 12/09 Q1013 NOSIG

VILK 100100Z 00000KT 0400 R27/0600 FG NSC 12/09 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 100030Z 00000KT 0400 R27/1900 FG NSC 12/09 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 100000Z 00000KT 0300 R27/0500 FG NSC 12/10 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 092330Z 00000KT 0300 R27/0600 FG NSC 11/09 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 092300Z 00000KT 0400 R27/1100 FG NSC 12/10 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 092230Z 00000KT 0400 R27/0800 FG NSC 13/11 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 092200Z 00000KT 0600 R27/1000 FG NSC 13/11 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 092130Z 00000KT 0600 R27/1000 MIFG NSC 13/11 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 092100Z 00000KT 0600 R27/1000 MIFG NSC 13/11 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 092030Z 00000KT 0600 R27/1000 MIFG NSC 14/12 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 091930Z 00000KT 1000 R27/1500 BR NSC 14/12 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 091900Z 00000KT 1000 R27/1700 BR NSC 14/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 091830Z 00000KT 1000 R27/1700 BR NSC 14/13 Q1014 BECMG 0800 MIFG
VILK 091800Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/14 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091730Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/14 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091700Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/14 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091630Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 16/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091600Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 16/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091530Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 17/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091500Z 00000KT 2000 HZ NSC 18/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091430Z 00000KT 2000 HZ NSC 18/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091400Z 00000KT 2000 HZ NSC 19/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091330Z 00000KT 2000 HZ NSC 19/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091300Z 00000KT 2000 HZ NSC 20/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091230Z 00000KT 2000 HZ NSC 21/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 091200Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ NSC 23/14 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 091130Z 29003KT 2000 HZ NSC 24/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 091100Z 32005KT 2000 HZ NSC 24/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 091030Z 29003KT 2000 HZ NSC 24/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 091000Z 30003KT 2000 HZ NSC 25/14 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 090930Z 30007KT 2000 HZ NSC 25/14 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 090900Z 25004KT 2000 HZ NSC 25/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 090830Z 25009KT 2000 HZ NSC 24/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 090800Z 25003KT 2000 HZ NSC 24/16 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 090730Z 24003KT 2000 HZ NSC 23/16 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 090700Z 25003KT 2000 HZ NSC 23/16 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 090630Z 25006KT 2000 HZ NSC 22/16 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 090600Z 27003KT 2000 HZ NSC 22/16 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 090530Z 25003KT 1600 R27/2000 BR NSC 20/17 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 090500Z 25003KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 19/16 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 090430Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 17/14 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 090400Z 25003KT 1000 R27/1500 MIFG NSC 15/12 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 090330Z VRB02KT 1000 R27/1400 MIFG NSC 15/13 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 090230Z 00000KT 0400 R27/1000 FG NSC 12/10 Q1015 BECMG 0600 FG
VILK 090200Z 00000KT 0300 R27/0900 FG NSC 11/10 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 090130Z 00000KT 0400 R27/0800 FG NSC 11/10 Q1015 BECMG 0300 FG
VILK 090100Z 00000KT 0700 R27/1000 MIFG NSC 12/11 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 090030Z 00000KT 1000 R27/1800 BR NSC 12/11 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 090000Z 00000KT 1000 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/11 Q1014 BECMG 0800 MIFG FG
VILK 082330Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/11 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 082300Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/11 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 082230Z 00000KT 1300 R27/2000 BR NSC 13/11 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 082200Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 13/11 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 082130Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 13/12 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 082100Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 13/12 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 082030Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 13/12 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 082000Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 14/12 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081930Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 14/12 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081900Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 14/13 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081830Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 14/13 Q1016 BECMG 1500 BR
VILK 081800Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 15/13 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 081730Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 14/13 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 081700Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 15/13 Q1016 BECMG 1500 BR
VILK 081630Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 15/13 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 081600Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 16/14 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 081530Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 16/14 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 081500Z 00000KT 2500 BR NSC 17/15 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 081430Z 00000KT 2500 HZ NSC 17/15 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081400Z 00000KT 3000 HZ NSC 19/14 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081330Z VRB02KT 3000 HZ NSC 20/14 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081300Z VRB02KT 3000 HZ NSC 21/14 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081230Z VRB02KT 3000 HZ NSC 21/14 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081200Z 27004KT 3500 HZ NSC 22/14 Q1015 BECMG 3000 HZ
VILK 081130Z 27005KT 4000 HZ NSC 22/15 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081100Z 27006KT 4000 HZ NSC 23/15 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081030Z 29005KT 4000 HZ NSC 24/12 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081000Z 30005KT 4000 HZ NSC 24/12 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 080930Z 29003KT 4000 HZ NSC 24/12 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 080900Z 29004KT 4000 HZ NSC 24/12 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 080830Z 27005KT 4000 HZ NSC 23/14 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 080800Z 28006KT 4000 HZ NSC 23/14 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 080730Z 28004KT 4000 HZ NSC 23/14 Q1017 BECMG 5000 HZ
VILK 080700Z 27005KT 3500 HZ NSC 23/14 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 080630Z 25003KT 3000 HZ NSC 22/14 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 080600Z 25003KT 2500 HZ NSC 21/14 Q1019 BECMG 3000 HZ
VILK 080530Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ NSC 21/15 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 080500Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 19/15 Q1020 NOSIG
VILK 080430Z 00000KT 1400 R27/2000 BR NSC 18/15 Q1020 BECMG 1500 BR HZ
VILK 080400Z 00000KT 1400 R27/2000 BR NSC 16/14 Q1020 NOSIG
VILK 080330Z VRB02KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 14/12 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 080300Z 00000KT 1000 R27/2000 MIFG NSC 11/09 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 080230Z 00000KT 0800 R27/1700 MIFG NSC 10/09 Q1019 BECMG 1500 BR
VILK 080200Z 00000KT 0600 R27/1400 MIFG NSC 09/07 Q1018 BECMG 0800 MIFG
VILK 080130Z 00000KT 0400 R27/0900 FG NSC 09/07 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 080100Z 00000KT 0600 R27/1800 MIFG NSC 09/07 Q1018 BECMG 0300 FG
VILK 080030Z 00000KT 1000 R27/2000 BR NSC 10/08 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 080000Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 11/09 Q1017 BECMG 0800 BR MIFG
VILK 072330Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 10/09 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 072300Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 10/09 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 072230Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 11/10 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 072200Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/10 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 072130Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/10 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 072100Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/09 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 072030Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/11 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 072000Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 11/10 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071930Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 11/10 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071900Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/11 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071830Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/11 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071800Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/11 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071730Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 13/11 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071700Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 13/11 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071630Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 13/11 Q1018 BECMG 1500 BR
VILK 071600Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 13/12 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071530Z 00000KT 2500 BR NSC 14/11 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071500Z 00000KT 3000 HZ NSC 15/10 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 071430Z 00000KT 3000 HZ NSC 15/10 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 071400Z 00000KT 3000 HZ NSC 16/11 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 071330Z 00000KT 3000 HZ NSC 17/11 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 071300Z 00000KT 3000 HZ NSC 19/10 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 071230Z VRB02KT 3500 HZ NSC 22/09 Q1016 BECMG 3000 HZ
VILK 071200Z 27003KT 4000 HZ NSC 22/09 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 071130Z 32006KT 4000 HZ NSC 22/10 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 071100Z 32008KT 4000 HZ NSC 23/11 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 071030Z 29007KT 4000 HZ NSC 23/12 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 071000Z 26006KT 4000 HZ NSC 23/12 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 070930Z 27006KT 4000 HZ NSC 22/13 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 070900Z 27006KT 4000 HZ NSC 23/13 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 070830Z 25007KT 4000 HZ NSC 22/13 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 070800Z 25005KT 4000 HZ NSC 22/13 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 070730Z 25003KT 4000 HZ NSC 22/12 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 070700Z 25004KT 4000 HZ NSC 21/12 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 070630Z 21004KT 4000 HZ NSC 21/12 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 070600Z VRB02KT 3000 HZ NSC 20/12 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 070530Z 24004KT 3000 HZ NSC 19/12 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 070500Z 26004KT 2500 HZ NSC 17/12 Q1020 NOSIG
VILK 070430Z 25003KT 2000 R27/2000 BR NSC 16/12 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 070400Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/12 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 070330Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 13/11 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 070300Z 27004KT 1400 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/10 Q1018 BECMG 1500 BR
VILK 070230Z VRB02KT 1300 R27/1700 BR NSC 11/07 Q1017 NOSIG
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:49 am

I have no EXACT weather details of the time of my landing and I did write a mail to the IMD ( Indian Met Department ) requesting them for the details of the morning I landed at LKO (02.02.2021) between 8AM to 9AM, however,I haven't received any response from them BUT being a curious bug that I am,I followed their website and tried shuffling it to get the historic or past records of observed weather but to no avail and as I was about to leave their page suddenly a pop-up of their twitter handle comes on the screen.So I go on their Twitter handle and on that I found their daily briefings about the weather and especially fog warnings and scrolled it back to 2nd Feb and there it was...Now I am happy that I found out the weather conditions that morning but more than that I'm unmoored by not finding out the exact details :(

So as per the IMD Twitter handle the visibility at around 5:30AM was 25 Meters so I think I could believe of it being 50 Meters but I wish I had some website that would give me exact details of all the weather factors but I guess I would just have to live with the confirmation of whatever the Captain informed me of.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:17 am

Woodreau wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

This is only for the past 120hr, i dont know how to go further in the past

https://aviationweather.gov/metar/data? ... &layout=on

I think the RVRs are reported in meters here and so I think bolded the METARs with visibility less than cat I - but i could be terribly wrong... I guess I should break out the airway manual section that discusses the differences for that FIR.

VILK 120200Z 00000KT 0100 R27/0200 FG VV/// 13/11 Q1015 BECMG 0150 FG
VILK 120130Z 00000KT 0100 R27/0400 FG VV/// 13/11 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 120100Z 00000KT 0200 R27/0150 FG VV/// 13/11 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 120030Z 00000KT 0300 R27/0300 FG VV/// 13/12 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 120000Z 00000KT 0400 R27/0300 FG VV/// 13/12 Q1014 BECMG 0300 FG
VILK 112330Z 00000KT 0800 R27/0700 MIFG NSC 14/13 Q1013 BECMG 0600 MIFG FG

VILK 112300Z 00000KT 0800 R27/0800 MIFG NSC 14/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 112230Z 00000KT 0800 R27/1000 MIFG NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 112200Z 00000KT 1000 R27/1000 MIFG NSC 15/13 Q1013 BECMG 0800 MIFG
VILK 112130Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 112100Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 112030Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 16/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 112000Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 111930Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/14 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 111900Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/14 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 111830Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 16/14 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 111800Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 16/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 111730Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 17/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 111700Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 17/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 111630Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 18/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 111600Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 18/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 111530Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 18/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 111500Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 19/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 111430Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 20/17 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 111400Z 00000KT 2500 BR NSC 21/17 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 111330Z 00000KT 2500 HZ NSC 21/16 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 111300Z 00000KT 3000 HZ NSC 22/17 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 111230Z VRB02KT 3000 HZ NSC 23/15 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 111200Z VRB02KT 3000 HZ NSC 25/15 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 111130Z 27003KT 3000 HZ NSC 26/15 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 111100Z 32005KT 3000 HZ NSC 26/15 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 111030Z 32004KT 3000 HZ NSC 27/15 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 111000Z 30004KT 3000 HZ NSC 26/14 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 110930Z 29006KT 3000 HZ NSC 27/14 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 110900Z 27003KT 3000 HZ NSC 27/15 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 110830Z 27003KT 3000 HZ NSC 26/16 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 110800Z 27005KT 3000 HZ NSC 26/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 110730Z VRB02KT 2500 HZ NSC 26/17 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 110700Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ NSC 26/17 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 110630Z VRB03KT 2000 HZ NSC 25/17 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 110600Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ NSC 24/18 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 110530Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 22/19 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 110500Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 22/19 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 110430Z VRB02KT 1200 R27/1800 BR NSC 20/17 Q1015 BECMG 1500 BR
VILK 110400Z VRB02KT 1000 R27/1400 MIFG NSC 18/16 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 110330Z 00000KT 0800 R27/1200 MIFG NSC 16/14 Q1015 NOSIG

VILK 110300Z 00000KT 0600 R27/0800 FG NSC 14/12 Q1015 BECMG 0800 MIFG
VILK 110230Z 00000KT 0200 R27/0400 FG NSC 12/10 Q1014 BECMG 0300 FG
VILK 110200Z 00000KT 0050 R27/0075 FG NSC 11/10 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 110130Z 00000KT 0050 R27/0075 FG NSC 11/10 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 110100Z 00000KT 0100 R27/0125 FG VV/// 11/10 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 110030Z 00000KT 0050 R27/0125 FG VV/// 12/10 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 110000Z 00000KT 0100 R27/0100 FG NSC 12/10 Q1012 NOSIG

VILK 102330Z 00000KT 0100 R27/0700 FG NSC 12/10 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 102300Z 00000KT 0200 R27/0500 FG NSC 12/11 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 102230Z 00000KT 0600 R27/0700 MIFG NSC 13/12 Q1012 BECMG 0300 FG
VILK 102200Z 00000KT 1000 R27/1500 BR NSC 14/13 Q1013 BECMG 0800 MIFG
VILK 102130Z 00000KT 1200 R27/1500 BR NSC 15/14 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 102100Z 00000KT 1500 R27/1800 BR NSC 15/14 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 102030Z 00000KT 1500 R27/1500 BR NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 102000Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/1900 BR NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101930Z 00000KT 1500 R27/1600 BR NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101900Z 00000KT 1500 R27/1500 BR NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101830Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101800Z 00000KT 1500 R27/1600 BR NSC 16/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101730Z 00000KT 1500 R27/1600 BR NSC 17/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101700Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 17/16 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101630Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 18/16 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101600Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 18/16 Q1013 BECMG 1500 BR
VILK 101530Z 00000KT 2000 HZ NSC 19/17 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101500Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ NSC 20/17 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101430Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ NSC 21/17 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101330Z 00000KT 2000 HZ NSC 21/17 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 101300Z 00000KT 2500 HZ NSC 23/17 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 101230Z 29003KT 2500 HZ NSC 23/16 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 101200Z 29003KT 3000 HZ NSC 25/16 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 101130Z 25004KT 3000 HZ NSC 25/15 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 101100Z 25004KT 3000 HZ NSC 26/15 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 101030Z VRB02KT 3000 HZ NSC 26/16 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 101000Z 25004KT 3000 HZ SCT100 BKN200 26/15 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 100930Z VRB02KT 3000 HZ SCT100 BKN200 26/15 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 100900Z VRB02KT 2500 HZ BKN100 BKN200 25/14 Q1011 NOSIG
VILK 100830Z VRB02KT 2500 HZ BKN100 BKN200 25/14 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 100800Z VRB02KT 2500 HZ SCT100 BKN200 25/14 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 100730Z VRB02KT 2500 HZ SCT100 BKN200 25/15 Q1013 BECMG 3000 HZ
VILK 100700Z VRB02KT 2500 HZ FEW100 SCT200 25/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 100630Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ FEW100 SCT200 24/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 100600Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ FEW100 SCT200 23/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 100530Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ FEW100 SCT200 22/17 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 100500Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 21/17 Q1015 BECMG 3000 HZ
VILK 100430Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 20/17 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 100400Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR SCT100 SCT200 17/13 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 100330Z 00000KT 0800 R27/1400 FG SCT100 SCT200 15/13 Q1014 BECMG 1500 BR
VILK 100300Z 00000KT 0700 R27/1200 FG SCT100 SCT200 14/12 Q1014 BECMG 0800 FG MIFG
VILK 100230Z 00000KT 0400 R27/0700 FG SCT100 12/10 Q1014 BECMG 0600 FG MIFG

VILK 100200Z 00000KT 0200 R27/0500 FG SCT100 12/10 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 100130Z 00000KT 0200 R27/0500 FG NSC 12/09 Q1013 NOSIG

VILK 100100Z 00000KT 0400 R27/0600 FG NSC 12/09 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 100030Z 00000KT 0400 R27/1900 FG NSC 12/09 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 100000Z 00000KT 0300 R27/0500 FG NSC 12/10 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 092330Z 00000KT 0300 R27/0600 FG NSC 11/09 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 092300Z 00000KT 0400 R27/1100 FG NSC 12/10 Q1012 NOSIG
VILK 092230Z 00000KT 0400 R27/0800 FG NSC 13/11 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 092200Z 00000KT 0600 R27/1000 FG NSC 13/11 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 092130Z 00000KT 0600 R27/1000 MIFG NSC 13/11 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 092100Z 00000KT 0600 R27/1000 MIFG NSC 13/11 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 092030Z 00000KT 0600 R27/1000 MIFG NSC 14/12 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 091930Z 00000KT 1000 R27/1500 BR NSC 14/12 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 091900Z 00000KT 1000 R27/1700 BR NSC 14/13 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 091830Z 00000KT 1000 R27/1700 BR NSC 14/13 Q1014 BECMG 0800 MIFG
VILK 091800Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/14 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091730Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/14 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091700Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/14 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091630Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 16/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091600Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 16/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091530Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 17/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091500Z 00000KT 2000 HZ NSC 18/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091430Z 00000KT 2000 HZ NSC 18/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091400Z 00000KT 2000 HZ NSC 19/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091330Z 00000KT 2000 HZ NSC 19/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091300Z 00000KT 2000 HZ NSC 20/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 091230Z 00000KT 2000 HZ NSC 21/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 091200Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ NSC 23/14 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 091130Z 29003KT 2000 HZ NSC 24/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 091100Z 32005KT 2000 HZ NSC 24/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 091030Z 29003KT 2000 HZ NSC 24/15 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 091000Z 30003KT 2000 HZ NSC 25/14 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 090930Z 30007KT 2000 HZ NSC 25/14 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 090900Z 25004KT 2000 HZ NSC 25/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 090830Z 25009KT 2000 HZ NSC 24/15 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 090800Z 25003KT 2000 HZ NSC 24/16 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 090730Z 24003KT 2000 HZ NSC 23/16 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 090700Z 25003KT 2000 HZ NSC 23/16 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 090630Z 25006KT 2000 HZ NSC 22/16 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 090600Z 27003KT 2000 HZ NSC 22/16 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 090530Z 25003KT 1600 R27/2000 BR NSC 20/17 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 090500Z 25003KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 19/16 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 090430Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 17/14 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 090400Z 25003KT 1000 R27/1500 MIFG NSC 15/12 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 090330Z VRB02KT 1000 R27/1400 MIFG NSC 15/13 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 090230Z 00000KT 0400 R27/1000 FG NSC 12/10 Q1015 BECMG 0600 FG
VILK 090200Z 00000KT 0300 R27/0900 FG NSC 11/10 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 090130Z 00000KT 0400 R27/0800 FG NSC 11/10 Q1015 BECMG 0300 FG
VILK 090100Z 00000KT 0700 R27/1000 MIFG NSC 12/11 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 090030Z 00000KT 1000 R27/1800 BR NSC 12/11 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 090000Z 00000KT 1000 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/11 Q1014 BECMG 0800 MIFG FG
VILK 082330Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/11 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 082300Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/11 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 082230Z 00000KT 1300 R27/2000 BR NSC 13/11 Q1013 NOSIG
VILK 082200Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 13/11 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 082130Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 13/12 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 082100Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 13/12 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 082030Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 13/12 Q1014 NOSIG
VILK 082000Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 14/12 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081930Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 14/12 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081900Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 14/13 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081830Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 14/13 Q1016 BECMG 1500 BR
VILK 081800Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 15/13 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 081730Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 14/13 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 081700Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 15/13 Q1016 BECMG 1500 BR
VILK 081630Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 15/13 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 081600Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 16/14 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 081530Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 16/14 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 081500Z 00000KT 2500 BR NSC 17/15 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 081430Z 00000KT 2500 HZ NSC 17/15 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081400Z 00000KT 3000 HZ NSC 19/14 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081330Z VRB02KT 3000 HZ NSC 20/14 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081300Z VRB02KT 3000 HZ NSC 21/14 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081230Z VRB02KT 3000 HZ NSC 21/14 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081200Z 27004KT 3500 HZ NSC 22/14 Q1015 BECMG 3000 HZ
VILK 081130Z 27005KT 4000 HZ NSC 22/15 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081100Z 27006KT 4000 HZ NSC 23/15 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081030Z 29005KT 4000 HZ NSC 24/12 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 081000Z 30005KT 4000 HZ NSC 24/12 Q1015 NOSIG
VILK 080930Z 29003KT 4000 HZ NSC 24/12 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 080900Z 29004KT 4000 HZ NSC 24/12 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 080830Z 27005KT 4000 HZ NSC 23/14 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 080800Z 28006KT 4000 HZ NSC 23/14 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 080730Z 28004KT 4000 HZ NSC 23/14 Q1017 BECMG 5000 HZ
VILK 080700Z 27005KT 3500 HZ NSC 23/14 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 080630Z 25003KT 3000 HZ NSC 22/14 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 080600Z 25003KT 2500 HZ NSC 21/14 Q1019 BECMG 3000 HZ
VILK 080530Z VRB02KT 2000 HZ NSC 21/15 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 080500Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 19/15 Q1020 NOSIG
VILK 080430Z 00000KT 1400 R27/2000 BR NSC 18/15 Q1020 BECMG 1500 BR HZ
VILK 080400Z 00000KT 1400 R27/2000 BR NSC 16/14 Q1020 NOSIG
VILK 080330Z VRB02KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 14/12 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 080300Z 00000KT 1000 R27/2000 MIFG NSC 11/09 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 080230Z 00000KT 0800 R27/1700 MIFG NSC 10/09 Q1019 BECMG 1500 BR
VILK 080200Z 00000KT 0600 R27/1400 MIFG NSC 09/07 Q1018 BECMG 0800 MIFG
VILK 080130Z 00000KT 0400 R27/0900 FG NSC 09/07 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 080100Z 00000KT 0600 R27/1800 MIFG NSC 09/07 Q1018 BECMG 0300 FG
VILK 080030Z 00000KT 1000 R27/2000 BR NSC 10/08 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 080000Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 11/09 Q1017 BECMG 0800 BR MIFG
VILK 072330Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 10/09 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 072300Z 00000KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 10/09 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 072230Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 11/10 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 072200Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/10 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 072130Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/10 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 072100Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/09 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 072030Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/11 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 072000Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 11/10 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071930Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 11/10 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071900Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/11 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071830Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/11 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071800Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/11 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071730Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 13/11 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071700Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 13/11 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071630Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 13/11 Q1018 BECMG 1500 BR
VILK 071600Z 00000KT 2000 BR NSC 13/12 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071530Z 00000KT 2500 BR NSC 14/11 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 071500Z 00000KT 3000 HZ NSC 15/10 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 071430Z 00000KT 3000 HZ NSC 15/10 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 071400Z 00000KT 3000 HZ NSC 16/11 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 071330Z 00000KT 3000 HZ NSC 17/11 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 071300Z 00000KT 3000 HZ NSC 19/10 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 071230Z VRB02KT 3500 HZ NSC 22/09 Q1016 BECMG 3000 HZ
VILK 071200Z 27003KT 4000 HZ NSC 22/09 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 071130Z 32006KT 4000 HZ NSC 22/10 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 071100Z 32008KT 4000 HZ NSC 23/11 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 071030Z 29007KT 4000 HZ NSC 23/12 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 071000Z 26006KT 4000 HZ NSC 23/12 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 070930Z 27006KT 4000 HZ NSC 22/13 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 070900Z 27006KT 4000 HZ NSC 23/13 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 070830Z 25007KT 4000 HZ NSC 22/13 Q1016 NOSIG
VILK 070800Z 25005KT 4000 HZ NSC 22/13 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 070730Z 25003KT 4000 HZ NSC 22/12 Q1017 NOSIG
VILK 070700Z 25004KT 4000 HZ NSC 21/12 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 070630Z 21004KT 4000 HZ NSC 21/12 Q1018 NOSIG
VILK 070600Z VRB02KT 3000 HZ NSC 20/12 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 070530Z 24004KT 3000 HZ NSC 19/12 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 070500Z 26004KT 2500 HZ NSC 17/12 Q1020 NOSIG
VILK 070430Z 25003KT 2000 R27/2000 BR NSC 16/12 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 070400Z 00000KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 15/12 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 070330Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 BR NSC 13/11 Q1019 NOSIG
VILK 070300Z 27004KT 1400 R27/2000 BR NSC 12/10 Q1018 BECMG 1500 BR
VILK 070230Z VRB02KT 1300 R27/1700 BR NSC 11/07 Q1017 NOSIG

I profoundly appreciate your efforts in attempt to helping me Mr Woodreau. I'm looking for the data for 02.02.2021 between 8:AM to 9:AM as my flight landed at around 8:30ish and came to full stop at the parking bay at 8:49 but I thank you very very much for your help Mr Woodreau.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:22 am

Starlionblue wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

In low visibility, everything slows down. The rule is always "if in doubt, stop and ask", but in low viz it becomes even more important. It could be that ATC told them to backtrack for some reason.

Normally you'd take the first high speed in your direction, or whatever ATC told you. But if you can hardly see the runway, let alone the turnoffs, it isn't a bad idea to stop for a moment while Tower gives you vacating instructions.

Mr Flyzone has actually posted a link pertaining to the SOPs at my home airport and I learnt that the reason they taxied ONLY via TAXIWAY C is because that is the only taxiway at my home base which is equipped with approved CAT IIIB lighting system and the reason why we parked at Bay 13 us also because the parking bays from 11 to 14 are the only ones approved to be used during CATIII Conditions for the same reason as the Taxiway !

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:55 am

Is it possible to find out about past weather details of an airport or flight details of a past flight on FR24 especially the Visibility and the approach type ? I'm a basic user so I don't have the option for it but I don't know if Silver or Gold users can see it though.

If anyone here is a Gold/Silver user can you plz let me know if its possible to see the past details about the weather and flight with relation to the mentioned factors ? for I need to be sure before buying a subscription if it does offers the details Im looking for or not.

Thanks

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:01 am

Here you go, times are in UTC. 0830Local is 03Z

02/02/2021 05:30->
METAR VILK 020530Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 HZ NSC 20/14 Q1020
NOSIG=
SA 02/02/2021 05:00->
METAR VILK 020500Z VRB02KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 17/14 Q1020
BECMG 1500 HZ=
SA 02/02/2021 04:30->
METAR VILK 020430Z 00000KT 0900 R27/2000 MIFG NSC 15/13 Q1020
NOSIG=
SA 02/02/2021 04:00->
METAR VILK 020400Z 00000KT 0500 R27/1800 FG NSC 12/10 Q1020
BECMG 0800 MIFG FG=
SA 02/02/2021 03:30->
METAR VILK 020330Z 00000KT 0100 R27/0750 FG NSC 11/08 Q1020
BECMG 0150 FG=
SA 02/02/2021 03:00->
METAR VILK 020300Z 00000KT 0000 R27/0100 FG VV/// 08/07 Q1019
NOSIG=

SA 02/02/2021 02:30->
METAR VILK 020230Z 00000KT 0000 R27/0075 FG VV/// 08/06 Q1019
NOSIG=
SA 02/02/2021 02:00->
METAR VILK 020200Z 00000KT 0000 R27/0100 FG VV/// 08/07 Q1018
NOSIG=

https://www.ogimet.com/display_metars2. ... &send=send

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:40 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Here you go, times are in UTC. 0830Local is 03Z

02/02/2021 05:30->
METAR VILK 020530Z VRB02KT 1500 R27/2000 HZ NSC 20/14 Q1020
NOSIG=
SA 02/02/2021 05:00->
METAR VILK 020500Z VRB02KT 1200 R27/2000 BR NSC 17/14 Q1020
BECMG 1500 HZ=
SA 02/02/2021 04:30->
METAR VILK 020430Z 00000KT 0900 R27/2000 MIFG NSC 15/13 Q1020
NOSIG=
SA 02/02/2021 04:00->
METAR VILK 020400Z 00000KT 0500 R27/1800 FG NSC 12/10 Q1020
BECMG 0800 MIFG FG=
SA 02/02/2021 03:30->
METAR VILK 020330Z 00000KT 0100 R27/0750 FG NSC 11/08 Q1020
BECMG 0150 FG=
NOSIG=

SA 02/02/2021 02:30->
METAR VILK 020230Z 00000KT 0000 R27/0075 FG VV/// 08/06 Q1019
NOSIG=
SA 02/02/2021 02:00->
METAR VILK 020200Z 00000KT 0000 R27/0100 FG VV/// 08/07 Q1018
NOSIG=

https://www.ogimet.com/display_metars2. ... &send=send

Oh thanks a lot Mr GalaxyFlyer Now Can you please decipher it for me...If I understand it correctly,is it 100 Meters visibility during the time of my landing ?
Last edited by FligtReporter on Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:00 am

Thankfully I had recorded the playback of my flight and I see it landing at 03:09 UTC so I believe the Visibility must be 100 or so meters...Now looking back at it I feel may be the captain of my flight got pissed at me with my constant queries and thats why didn't tell me the actual details...I'm little heartbroken now.

Also sorry to other pilots on this forum if my multiple texts are bothersome but I'm just an avgeek who was excited about something I experienced for the first time and I wanted to know more about it.

And I wanna thank you all for being so kind and helpful to me..And special thanks to Mr.Galaxy Flyer for the exact details I was looking for.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:42 am

So this report is 9 minutes before the touchdown of my aircraft at LKO and after deciphering the above weather report with the help of a website , I come to following conclusion -:

METAR - Routine Weather Report
VILK - The Code of my airport ( ICAO Identifier )
020300z - The Issuance time
000000KT - Winds in knots
0000 - Horizontal Visibility ( 0 Meters )
R27/0100 - Runway 27 / 100 Meters RVR
FG VV/// - Fog and Veritical Visibility Unavailable

08/07 - I think it has to do something with cloud cover I don't know I could be wrong I just don't get this part
Q1019 - No Idea !!

I'd appreciate if any pilots could let me know if my translation of this report is correct or not.

Thanks.

Starlionblue

Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:48 am

FligtReporter wrote:

So this report is 9 minutes before the touchdown of my aircraft at LKO and after deciphering the above weather report with the help of a website , I come to following conclusion -:

08/07 - I think it has to do something with cloud cover I don't know I could be wrong I just don't get this part
Q1019 - No Idea !!

I'd appreciate if any pilots could let me know if my translation of this report is correct or not.

Thanks.

Your decoding is correct, with the nitpick that the wind group, 00000KT, is both speed and direction of wind. In case of nil wind it defaults to direction 000, but the numbers must be in there. ;)

- 08/07 is the temperature and dewpoint, in this case 8 and 7 degrees C respectively. The dewpoint is the temperature at which humidity would condense out.
- Q1019 is the QNH, or barometric pressure, in this case 1019 hPa.
- Sky condition is VV////, meaning vertical visibility cannot be determined. VVxxx replaces the cloud/ceiling code in case of an "indefinite" ceiling.

The conditions are pretty much perfect for fog:
- Nil wind so nothing to blow it away.
- High-ish QNH indicating stable conditions.
- Temperature near the dewpoint, meaning the air is close to saturated with moisture.

If you want to learn more about METAR/SPECI: http://www.moratech.com/aviation/metar- ... r-pg3.html

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:19 am

Starlionblue wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

Q1019 - No Idea !!

Thanks.

Your decoding is correct, with the nitpick that the wind group, 00000KT, is both speed and direction of wind. In case of nil wind it defaults to direction 000, but the numbers must be in there. ;)

- 08/07 is the temperature and dewpoint, in this case 8 and 7 degrees C respectively. The dewpoint is the temperature at which humidity would condense out.
- Q1019 is the QNH, or barometric pressure, in this case 1019 hPa.
- Sky condition is VV////, meaning vertical visibility cannot be determined. VVxxx replaces the cloud/ceiling code in case of an "indefinite" ceiling.

The conditions are pretty much perfect for fog:
- Nil wind so nothing to blow it away.
- High-ish QNH indicating stable conditions.
- Temperature near the dewpoint, meaning the air is close to saturated with moisture.

If you want to learn more about METAR/SPECI: http://www.moratech.com/aviation/metar- ... r-pg3.html

Thanks Mr Starlion I appreciate your confirmation..Im just happy that I got to experience CATIIIB which was always my dream ever since I got to know that my home airport was equipped with it.Though Initially I believed what I heard from the captain that It was RVR 50 but I guess even 100 isnt that bad and may be she just wanted me to get off the plane as I was the last pax and probably thas why she assented to whatever assumptions I was making.

Im glad I can interact with pilots on this website who are not in a hurry for the next sector !

Thanks again Mr Starlion