Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FligtReporter
Topic Author

How wide a turnpad should be to accommodate a 777-300 ?

Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:26 am

Hi everyone,

So,In this thread I wanna talk about something that I have always found thought provoking and that is the "TURNPAD".So basically I'm from LKO and my home base has no parallel taxiways (as of yet) and at the end of both the runways (ILS 27 / 09) we have the turnpads where the aircrafts make a 180° before racing for takeoff or park.

Talking a little about the biggest aircraft that regularly operates To/From my base is the A330-3/2 by SAUDIA (Currently Not Operating due to Covid) and I have seen a few videos of the full taxing to take off procedure of this Aircraft at my base both at 27 and 09 and It looked not wide enough for it to turn comfortably.I have also done the measurements on Google Earth cause thats the best resource I have for real world measurements and the Turnpad at RWY 27 is around 90 meters from the First Borderline of the Runway till the Yellow borderline of the pad and the one at RWY09 is around 86 meters with similar measurements,however,the one at 09 seems more accommodating than the one at 27 though both are like "C" Shaped but the one at 09 is a little like "?".

Now,a few years back a 747-400 of Air India did make a landing at my base,which sadly I missed to spot,but thankfully I found a video of it parking at a bay 5 which is normally used by SAUDIA A330, and ever since then I have wondered..how did Queen manage to turn at either of these pads ? and because I love the 777-300 for the longitivity of it all, I wonder if we ever get a 777-300 at my base then would it be able to comfortably turn on these turnpads ?

Also, I'd be grateful if any of you who have flown the Queen or the 777s could share your experiences regarding the maneuvers during the 180° turns at such turnpads.

Thank you very much
Regards
Flight Reporter.

AirKevin

Re: How wide a turnpad should be to accommodate a 777-300 ?

Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:52 am

Looking at the Boeing ACAPS data for the Boeing 777-300ER, you need at least 185.5 feet, or 56.5 meters, in order to make a 180-degree turn. So 86 meters is more than enough space for the Boeing 777-300ER to make the turn.
Captain Kevin

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:13 am

AirKevin wrote:
Looking at the Boeing ACAPS data for the Boeing 777-300ER, you need at least 185.5 feet, or 56.5 meters, in order to make a 180-degree turn. So 86 meters is more than enough space for the Boeing 777-300ER to make the turn.

Thanks For the information Mr.Kevin.

Starlionblue

Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:09 pm

To add measurements for the A330 you mention. The A330-200 can turn on a 44-metre width and the A330-300 on a 48-metre width. Those measurements are approximate and without margin so would require careful handling. 86 metres is plenty of margin and I think would be ample for any widebody. Longer than the aircraft itself.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:55 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
To add measurements for the A330 you mention. The A330-200 can turn on a 44-metre width and the A330-300 on a 48-metre width. Those measurements are approximate and without margin so would require careful handling. 86 metres is plenty of margin and I think would be ample for any widebody. Longer than the aircraft itself.

Hey Mr Starlion so nice to see you here too ! Actually I did my own measurements via Google earth and I know the distance between the main gears and the front one can easily be accommodated at the turnpads however when I tried to measure the length of a 777-300 then I found that while turning a little rear portion of the birdie would be outside of the turnpad area :lol: But I guess that doesn't matter as long as the gears are comfortably accomodated to turn the aircraft around within the given area after all its the gears that are main aspect while turning.

BTW with this turnpad issue for the 777-300ER I'm also intrigued about the RWY length required for a fully loaded 777-300ER ?

Like my homebase has 2,742 meters of RWY..so do you think it would be long enough for a 773 to takeoff at full load ?

tommy1808

Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:07 pm

FligtReporter wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Hey Mr Starlion so nice to see you here too ! Actually I did my own measurements via Google earth and I know the distance between the main gears and the front one can easily be accommodated at the turnpads however when I tried to measure the length of a 777-300 then I found that while turning a little rear portion of the birdie would be outside of the turnpad area :lol: But I guess that doesn't matter as long as the gears are comfortably accomodated to turn the aircraft around within the given area after all its the gears that are main aspect while turning.

BTW with this turnpad issue for the 777-300ER I'm also intrigued about the RWY length required for a fully loaded 777-300ER ?

Like my homebase has 2,742 meters of RWY..so do you think it would be long enough for a 773 to takeoff at full load ?

Check out Page 50: https://www.boeing.com/resources/boeing ... 777_23.pdf

Sea level, 90k engine, Standard day, missing 3k feet of runway to get flying :)

for the 77W, 3-13: https://www.boeing.com/resources/boeing ... 2lr3er.pdf

better, but still 1k foot to short.

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:30 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Check out Page 50: https://www.boeing.com/resources/boeing ... 777_23.pdf

Sea level, 90k engine, Standard day, missing 3k feet of runway to get flying :)

for the 77W, 3-13: https://www.boeing.com/resources/boeing ... 2lr3er.pdf

better, but still 1k foot to short.

best regards
Thomas

Thanks for the links Mr Tommy !!

Starlionblue

Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:44 pm

FligtReporter wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

You don't need the fuselage to be entirely over the runway in order to do a 180-degree turn. As long as the gear stays on. Not only the tail, but also the cockpit can be over the edge line on occasion, especially on aircraft like the 777, 747 and A330 where the nose gear is relatively far back from the actual nose.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:44 am

Starlionblue wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

You don't need the fuselage to be entirely over the runway in order to do a 180-degree turn. As long as the gear stays on. Not only the tail, but also the cockpit can be over the edge line on occasion, especially on aircraft like the 777, 747 and A330 where the nose gear is relatively far back from the actual nose.

Ahaan...I wish someday I get to spot the 777 at my homebase,it would be so great !

Thanks MrStarlion.