Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirKevin
Topic Author

Delta 757 Wing And Stabilizer Paint

Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:26 am

Just a random observation, but I noticed on the home page that N556NW, a Boeing 757-200, has wings and horizontal stabilizers that aren't painted on the top, for lack of a better term. I was fairly certain that Delta had them painted dark gray, so I went and had a look, and sure enough, the very same plane had them painted dark gray at some point. Is there any technical reason why they would switch it around.

Also now seeing this on several, including N689DL:

N682DA:

N683DA:

N900PC:
Captain Kevin

DL_Mech

Re: Delta 757 Wing And Stabilizer Paint

Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:20 am

All of the newer repaints are done by vendors which use different procedures. These changes must be approved by Delta. My guess is that single color repaint reduces turnaround time.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Former AMT on A220,A310,A319/20/21,A330,A350,B707,B717,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,
MD-80/90,MD-11

LH707330

Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:12 am

What you're referring to is called coroguard, it's an anti-corrosive coating that's made of metal flakes in a clear carrier and looks different under different light conditions. Mostly it's applied to the inspar areas where maintenance crews walk, so they want those areas to be more durable. See here: https://www.airlinercafe.com/page.php?id=440

Delta used to have coroguard on most of their fleet, and then changed to that light gray color beginning around 2016/2017. As to why they did it, my guess is that newer paints are more durable, so they don't need the special coating anymore. If you look at pictures of other fleet types, you'll start to see the same pattern.

AirKevin
Topic Author

Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:53 pm

Copy. Thanks. Didn't know they were doing away with it on other fleets. Sure enough, looks like some of their 767s made the switch, as seen on N1603:

N1609:

N179DN:

N183DN:

And their A330s, including N852NW:

N857NW:

Now my next question is if this coroguard is applied to the top of the wing and is easily removed, or is it removed, and the wing surface painted over again. I assume they would be doing this during heavy maintenance.
Captain Kevin

LH707330

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:41 am

AirKevin wrote:
Copy. Thanks. Didn't know they were doing away with it on other fleets. Sure enough, looks like some of their 767s made the switch, as seen on N1603:

Now my next question is if this coroguard is applied to the top of the wing and is easily removed, or is it removed, and the wing surface painted over again. I assume they would be doing this during heavy maintenance.

Not 100% sure I understand the question, but I'll take a whack anyway. I'm not sure of the exact process, but I assume that they strip it with some solvent and then respray the wing with the BAC 707 gray.

AirKevin
Topic Author

Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:44 pm

LH707330 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

Not 100% sure I understand the question, but I'll take a whack anyway. I'm not sure of the exact process, but I assume that they strip it with some solvent and then respray the wing with the BAC 707 gray.

Just to clarify, I was wondering if, during the manufacturing process when the coroguard was initially applied, if the wing was painted first and the coroguard applied on top of it, and if that was the case, was it easily removed. Or is the coroguard painted more or less the same layer as the rest of the wing, and if removed, the wing would have to be painted over. Hopefully that makes more sense.
Captain Kevin

LH707330

Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:43 am

AirKevin wrote:
LH707330 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

Just to clarify, I was wondering if, during the manufacturing process when the coroguard was initially applied, if the wing was painted first and the coroguard applied on top of it, and if that was the case, was it easily removed. Or is the coroguard painted more or less the same layer as the rest of the wing, and if removed, the wing would have to be painted over. Hopefully that makes more sense.

Ah ok. Not sure, but my guess would be the latter.

pugman211

Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:15 am

Each OEM has their own way of manufacturing. I haven't heard of the term corroguard, we use the term Aeroflex on the Airbus A320 family wings I do. It's sounds like the same stuff though as in its anti corrosive paint with micro metal flakes.

The thing is, this stuff fades and becomes bleached with the sunlight over a long period of time, so it looks the same as the lighter grey BAC 707. So, you would need to see a aircraft fresh out of a strip and repaint shop to see whether the paint system is different than when delivered by an OEM.

What's more interesting is that the newer carbon composite aircraft like the 787/A350's use a lighter white coloured paints on the wings unless I'm wrong about that part?

gregorygoodwin

Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:55 pm

Our 767-300F aircraft have Aerofex on the wing surfaces between the forward and aft spars, upper surface and lower. The fixed leading edges, aft trailing edges and flap track fairings all use BAC 707 light gray which is a polyurethane coating. As mentioned above, the Aeroflex is a dark gray metal-flake paint. Interestingly, it will readily come off if it gets Skydrol on it or if you use a solvent such as acetone on it. The 707 gray is very durable and, if you need to remove it, usually has to be sanded.

HAWK21M

Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:41 pm

Coroguard would add an extra weight penalty , hence with more durable paint available, less weight is always welcome.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

AirKevin
Topic Author

Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:04 pm

HAWK21M wrote:
Coroguard would add an extra weight penalty , hence with more durable paint available, less weight is always welcome.

Didn't know it added extra weight, but if it saves weight, that would make sense. Thanks.
Captain Kevin