Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Have you ever had a "Tensed Situation" during your flight ? How did you deal with it ?

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:10 pm

Hi everyone !

Having shared my first experience of "CAT IIIB"and learnt about it in my last thread.Im creating this thread to know from pilots and ATCs about their share of critical experiences during their jobs like an emergency landing,Unruly passengers,Airport closures,flying during Covid etc and how did they successfully manage through these scenarios ?

Now I have been very lucky that in all these years of flying I've never had any critical experiences as such but only amazing and wonderful ones and I pray may God continue to shower his grace on me and all of us forever and ever Amen !!

Thank you

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Have you ever had a "Tensed Situation" during your flight ? How did you deal with it ?

Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:05 pm

Does a mid-air collision with an ejection seat ride count? How about a few emergency fuel levels? Fighters are never routine. But then again, I’ve shutdown about a dozen engines for real in-flight, two in business jets for oil problems—Falcon 10 and CL604m the rest for various reasons in the C-5. Twice over the North Atlantic, went into Gander once, flew on to Dover the other time on three. Shut one down leaving Dhahran during DS in 1990, flew back to ETAR on three. Had a massive hydraulic misting leak, filled cargo with a cloud of MIL-5606, essentially a bomb until we shut off the system by process of elimination and ventilated the plane. Landed at Ramstein out of minimums GCA radar approach.

One drunk passenger in CYUL at Easyern Airlines, the Mounties came and took him away, his feet never touched the floor. Arrived overhead Tirupiti one morning to find out field was closed, held for an hour and landed. NOTAM issued after departure from VABB, apparently, Jepp filed the flight plan, Mumbai issued a clearance, only found out from Chennai. Other than that, a few minors I can’t recall, pretty boring 45 years.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Re: Have you ever had a "Tensed Situation" during your flight ? How did you deal with it ?

Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:32 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Does a mid-air collision with an ejection seat ride count? How about a few emergency fuel levels? Fighters are never routine. But then again, I’ve shutdown about a dozen engines for real in-flight, two in business jets for oil problems—Falcon 10 and CL604m the rest for various reasons in the C-5. Twice over the North Atlantic, went into Gander once, flew on to Dover the other time on three. Shut one down leaving Dhahran during DS in 1990, flew back to ETAR on three. Had a massive hydraulic misting leak, filled cargo with a cloud of MIL-5606, essentially a bomb until we shut off the system by process of elimination and ventilated the plane. Landed at Ramstein out of minimums GCA radar approach.

One drunk passenger in CYUL at Easyern Airlines, the Mounties came and took him away, his feet never touched the floor. Arrived overhead Tirupiti one morning to find out field was closed, held for an hour and landed. NOTAM issued after departure from VABB, apparently, Jepp filed the flight plan, Mumbai issued a clearance, only found out from Chennai. Other than that, a few minors I can’t recall, pretty boring 45 years.

Yes Yess Yess Mr.Galaxy...Plz tell me all about it...I will get my snacks ready to read it all !

Also do tell me more about your Indian tales cause that hits close to home for me..also have you ever flown over my homebase ? If you ever happen to fly to India again ? It feels soo cool to know I'm interacting with someone who has been flying even before I existed !!

IAHFLYR

Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:10 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Other than that, a few minors I can’t recall, pretty boring 45 years.

:rotfl: "pretty boring"

I sure cannot top GalaxyFlyer with a couple of situations, but here goes.

Flying side:

Flying a C210 from KAUS to KDWH when just after raising the gear the right door opened with my now very shaken wife screaming. She thought she was going to be sucked right out of the plane though I attempted to reassure her that wasn't happening, just keep your seatbelt tight I told her. Thankfully the Centurion had a very nice updated and simple to operate two-axis auto-pilot which I promptly engaged though first making sure I had correctly entered the runway heading with the heading bug and selected altitude that was input prior to departure. As any good competent husband would do :shock: , I told the tower we needed to return to the airport with an open door. Thankfully I did remember to run a somewhat rushed checklist in my head and actually remembered my GUMP check on short final. Back on the ground I was told by her, "we are spending the night here at a hotel". The next morning I think I triple checked her door before starting the engine.

ATC Tower side:

I was working local control one evening in 1990 around 1700 CDT when a G1 corporate shuttle for a oil/gas drilling company taxied up to the Runway 14L hold line for departure. They flew this trip Mon-Fri from KIAH-KMSY so the pilots were very familiar with us and we them. The preceding aircraft rolled and I put the G1 on the runway with position and hold. I cleared them for take-off and put the next aircraft into position and hold waiting for the G1 to rotate. As I watched the mains become airborne the G1 rolled to the left crashing nose down between the runway and parallel taxiway. Three people died in that accident, I believe the two pilots and a mechanic who was sitting in the jump seat. I'll never forget my words that got onto the landline when one of the approach controllers called me wanting to descend an arrival on downwind into tower airspace, "get out of my ear, RD is gonna crash" as they began that roll to the left. Pretty rough day made rougher when a couple of days later another corporate shuttle G1 for another oil/gas company was ready for departure about the same time of day.....sure was eerie!!

ATC RADAR side:

In 2004 about 0545 CST I was working the northwest arrival sector got the handoff from center on a G2 headed for KHOU. After handing them off to the controller working the approach into KHOU lost radar contact with them on final at KHOU. They had crashed a few miles from the runway and the report said the hit a light pole. The crash took the lives of the three crew members. The next few minutes before you could get relieved from your position due to the fact you'd been involved with the flight all sort of things ran through our heads (the two of us who talked to them) from did I do everything correct, did I say anything on the radio or landline that was not correct phraseology as we do from time to time, did I issue them the current weather or did they have the current ATIS when they came on frequency, did a new weather sequence come out and did I give it to them, did I issue the RVR.....you name it and my heart was racing as it's no fun as other will attest to be involved in any fashion with an incident or in this case an accident. Thankfully we did everything correct on the radio.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:39 pm

IAHFLYR wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Flying side:

Flying a C210 from KAUS to KDWH when just after raising the gear the right door opened with my now very shaken wife screaming. She thought she was going to be sucked right out of the plane though I attempted to reassure her that wasn't happening, just keep your seatbelt tight I told her. Thankfully the Centurion had a very nice updated and simple to operate two-axis auto-pilot which I promptly engaged though first making sure I had correctly entered the runway heading with the heading bug and selected altitude that was input prior to departure. As any good competent husband would do :shock: , I told the tower we needed to return to the airport with an open door. Thankfully I did remember to run a somewhat rushed checklist in my head and actually remembered my GUMP check on short final. Back on the ground I was told by her, "we are spending the night here at a hotel". The next morning I think I triple checked her door before starting the engine.

ATC Tower side:

I was working local control one evening in 1990 around 1700 CDT when a G1 corporate shuttle for a oil/gas drilling company taxied up to the Runway 14L hold line for departure. They flew this trip Mon-Fri from KIAH-KMSY so the pilots were very familiar with us and we them. The preceding aircraft rolled and I put the G1 on the runway with position and hold. I cleared them for take-off and put the next aircraft into position and hold waiting for the G1 to rotate. As I watched the mains become airborne the G1 rolled to the left crashing nose down between the runway and parallel taxiway. Three people died in that accident, I believe the two pilots and a mechanic who was sitting in the jump seat. I'll never forget my words that got onto the landline when one of the approach controllers called me wanting to descend an arrival on downwind into tower airspace, "get out of my ear, RD is gonna crash" as they began that roll to the left. Pretty rough day made rougher when a couple of days later another corporate shuttle G1 for another oil/gas company was ready for departure about the same time of day.....sure was eerie!!

ATC RADAR side:

In 2004 about 0545 CST I was working the northwest arrival sector got the handoff from center on a G2 headed for KHOU. After handing them off to the controller working the approach into KHOU lost radar contact with them on final at KHOU. They had crashed a few miles from the runway and the report said the hit a light pole. The crash took the lives of the three crew members. The next few minutes before you could get relieved from your position due to the fact you'd been involved with the flight all sort of things ran through our heads (the two of us who talked to them) from did I do everything correct, did I say anything on the radio or landline that was not correct phraseology as we do from time to time, did I issue them the current weather or did they have the current ATIS when they came on frequency, did a new weather sequence come out and did I give it to them, did I issue the RVR.....you name it and my heart was racing as it's no fun as other will attest to be involved in any fashion with an incident or in this case an accident. Thankfully we did everything correct on the radio.

Oh these were some very scary stories too Mr IAH especially your wife's door getting opened mid air..Thats scary as hell be it in an airlines or a cessna.Then the ATC tower and Radar stories were chilling too..I'm sorry people lost their lives !

Thank you very much Mr.IAH for sharing your stories.

FGITD

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:27 pm

IAHFLYR wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Understatement of the century. GF begins with a mention of colliding with an ejection seat, and ends by calling it all boring.

Very interesting stories so far.

I always mention it, but I keep my feet on the ground. Hasn't stopped me from getting into a few questionable situations, but nothing comparable to the in-flight or tower stories others have.

RetiredWeasel

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:52 pm

FGITD wrote:

Understatement of the century. GF begins with a mention of colliding with an ejection seat, and ends by calling it all boring.

I always mention it, but I keep my feet on the ground. Hasn't stopped me from getting into a few questionable situations, but nothing comparable to the in-flight or tower stories others have.

Think your misinterpreting GF statement. I'll let him clarify, but I think his statement means he had a mid-air collision and then had to eject (ejection seat ride) :)

CosmicCruiser

Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:08 pm

Obviously we had no reason to be scared but we departed MEM-BOS early one morning in the DC-10. We were about 60nm NE of MEM in the clouds with moderate rain when there was a huge 'BOOM"! I turned on the thunderstorm lights and as we got our vision back we scanned the instruments. I asked the F/O if he saw any abnormal indications. We both agreed everything looked good. I called Maint Ops and told them we were probably struck by lightning. We agreed with no abnormal indications we would press on to BOS. BOS maint was notified and were waiting when we landed. Surprising to all of us they immediately found 9 burnt spots around the R1 door and then found a 7-8" piece of the left elevator missing. Needless the trip was over and we D/H'd back to MEM.

One other interesting moment was back in the 727 heading up to JFK at night. The weather was ugly with high winds, low clouds and light rain. Luckily for us the wind was down the runway. We were coming down the ILS when the V bars biased out of sight and we got a G/S Fail flag. We announced a miss and the tower said they had been informed the G/S antenna had been damaged and we'd be vectored to another runway. Now the wind was a crosswind but the clouds were a little higher. The crab had me looking at the runway thru the DV window and we made another miss. We came back for one more try and it was the same. We headed to our alternate , EWR, and as we intercepted the loc a UPS jet missed because of severe turb. We then decided to head to BWI. We shot an ILS to just about mins, landed and waited about 3 hours for JFK to improve. We did go back and landed with no other problems. About 5 years later my F/O that night approached me in Ops and asked if I remembered that night. Of course, I'll forget it I told him. He told me had done some research and that night we were experiencing the Perfect Storm as it moved up the cost! This was before the policies on windshear alerts were as they are now.

FGITD

Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:31 pm

RetiredWeasel wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Think your misinterpreting GF statement. I'll let him clarify, but I think his statement means he had a mid-air collision and then had to eject (ejection seat ride) :)

Aha right you are. Lesson learned, don't skim a.net threads while waiting for the last baggage cans to load. Turns out your reading comprehension skills go to sh!t.

N965UW

Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:38 pm

IAHFLYR wrote:

Also had a door open on a C182RG. Didn't scare any of us and got it closed quickly. On that same flight, it also took a few tries to get one of the gear legs to retract after takeoff. Good thing all three came down and locked before landing. That's the more important part :o
You can always go around

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:31 pm

FGITD wrote:
RetiredWeasel wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Aha right you are. Lesson learned, don't skim a.net threads while waiting for the last baggage cans to load. Turns out your reading comprehension skills go to sh!t.

A friend at EAL got out of two A-4s in one 10-day period around the ship. Another USN friend bailed out of three (3!) A-7s, one was a cold shot off the catapult and got hung up handing from the bow, unseen by anyone until wind caught his canopy and dragged him on the flight deck being chased by the deck crew.

Max Q

Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:28 am

Had an uncontained engine failure when I was a brand new FE / SO on the 727

During the take off roll we were just past 80 knots when the #1 engine start valve open light came on

At the same time there was a loud thump like something had hit us and all #1 engine indications went to zero

A start valve opening by itself is not supposed to happen but it did and caused significant damage blowing a hole in the side of the cowling almost two feet across

We rejected the take off and returned to the gate after leaving engine parts all over the runway

A few years later I was the FO on an MD80 heading to EWR from FLL, during the descent I noticed we were losing oil quantity on the left engine, we were close enough to destination to continue but we declared an emergency anticipating a precautionary shutdown

On downwind for 22L the quantity was zero and we lost all oil pressure, we immediately shut it down

Unfortunately there was bad weather in the area with some squalls associated with thunderstorms nearby and resulting wind shear

The aircraft ahead of us on approach reported a 20 knot airspeed loss on short final

I thought about this and mentioned to the Captain if we encountered this same airspeed loss on one engine we wouldn’t have adequate performance to recover, close to the ground that would have been a big problem

He agreed and we initiated a single engine go-around, just then we flew into that same wind shear and had to level off with maximum power to maintain speed

It seemed like a long time before the airspeed started building again but finally it increased, we cleaned up and diverted over to JFK where we made an uneventful single engine landing

An interesting evening
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:59 am

CosmicCruiser wrote:
Obviously we had no reason to be scared but we departed MEM-BOS early one morning in the DC-10. We were about 60nm NE of MEM in the clouds with moderate rain when there was a huge 'BOOM"! I turned on the thunderstorm lights and as we got our vision back we scanned the instruments. I asked the F/O if he saw any abnormal indications. We both agreed everything looked good. I called Maint Ops and told them we were probably struck by lightning. We agreed with no abnormal indications we would press on to BOS. BOS maint was notified and were waiting when we landed. Surprising to all of us they immediately found 9 burnt spots around the R1 door and then found a 7-8" piece of the left elevator missing. Needless the trip was over and we D/H'd back to MEM.

One other interesting moment was back in the 727 heading up to JFK at night. The weather was ugly with high winds, low clouds and light rain. Luckily for us the wind was down the runway. We were coming down the ILS when the V bars biased out of sight and we got a G/S Fail flag. We announced a miss and the tower said they had been informed the G/S antenna had been damaged and we'd be vectored to another runway. Now the wind was a crosswind but the clouds were a little higher. The crab had me looking at the runway thru the DV window and we made another miss. We came back for one more try and it was the same. We headed to our alternate , EWR, and as we intercepted the loc a UPS jet missed because of severe turb. We then decided to head to BWI. We shot an ILS to just about mins, landed and waited about 3 hours for JFK to improve. We did go back and landed with no other problems. About 5 years later my F/O that night approached me in Ops and asked if I remembered that night. Of course, I'll forget it I told him. He told me had done some research and that night we were experiencing the Perfect Storm as it moved up the cost! This was before the policies on windshear alerts were as they are now.

WooW that was very intresting story Mr Cosmic...thanks for sharing it with us.

Woodreau

Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:00 am

Lots of unruly passengers.... I’ve removed so many passengers from the plane on so many flights, I’m starting to think the problem is me not the passengers...

My first emergency occurred on my first solo flight. On the takeoff climbing thru 200ft, I did my normal tap the altimeter, mentally ran thru the emergency procedures.. “below 200 land straight ahead, above 200ft emergency return, turn to land downwind.”. While I was reviewing, the tow plane caught on fire and was rocking its wings to signal me to release the tow cable... I didn’t notice at first but after a few more violent wing rocks, I got the message and pulled the tow cable release. as soon as I let go, the tow pilot pulled a hard left and went for a landing, I pushed and turned 180 right and landed downwind. My instructor was watching the whole thing from the ground... After I got back on the ground, he said he about had a heart attack when he saw the whole thing developing and feeling helpless about it but overall not a bad first solo. The tow pilot said he was ready to leave me with the tow cable, if I hadn’t pulled the release when I did. I had about 5 hours total time when I logged my first solo and first “emergency.”

2nd emergency was totally self inflicted, caused by many factors and all the holes in the Swiss cheese lining up perfectly for my flight. I thought I had the min takeoff fuel when I took off, but in reality I was already burning my 45 minute reserve when I took off, but didn’t know it until I was already half way into the flight... I was screwed either way didn’t have the fuel to go back to origin and I didn’t have the fuel to continue to destination. All I could do was use the last of my fuel to climb to set up for a glide to the closest airport which was the destination... never flamed out, but made the runway with both Lo fuel cautions angrily illuminated and managed to taxi to the ramp with the engines flaming out as I pulled into the parking spot.

Or one of my “13 bad days in the navy”..... the time I got shot from 15km away by a navy destroyer. It was a good thing the navy can’t hit what they shoot with their 127mm naval rifles. They missed but the impact crater was still close enough I could walk out of the concrete bunker observation post and do some “crater analysis” for training and collect some 127mm shrapnel for souvenirs to take back with me back to the mainland.

Another one of those bad days in the navy is when I sank the captains gig in Hong Kong harbor as the boat officer in charge.... I did go down with the boat tho.

Anyways I hated when the James Cameron movie “titanic” came out. That was my favorite place to hang out on the ship. I’d walk to the forward edge of the flight deck on the bow and sit down on the deck and dangle my feet over the deck edge and feel the wind in my face and nothing but open ocean in front of me... sometimes down there would be dolphins down there playing and swimming in the bow wake... after the movie came out, I couldn’t go up there anymore because I’d be accused of copying Leonardo decaprio.
Last edited by Woodreau on Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:06 am

N965UW wrote:
IAHFLYR wrote:

Also had a door open on a C182RG. Didn't scare any of us and got it closed quickly. On that same flight, it also took a few tries to get one of the gear legs to retract after takeoff. Good thing all three came down and locked before landing. That's the more important part :o

I remember flying this C182RG in the Microsoft flight simulator earlier versions and I think its the same plane that has the weirdest style of its main gears retraction :lol: and I used to wonder how come they never get stuck and here I am after decades reading just that ..Intresting story MrN

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:11 am

Max Q wrote:

During the take off roll we were just past 80 knots when the #1 engine start valve open light came on

At the same time there was a loud thump like something had hit us and all #1 engine indications went to zero

A start valve opening by itself is not supposed to happen but it did and caused significant damage blowing a hole in the side of the cowling almost two feet across

We rejected the take off and returned to the gate after leaving engine parts all over the runway

A few years later I was the FO on an MD80 heading to EWR from FLL, during the descent I noticed we were losing oil quantity on the left engine, we were close enough to destination to continue but we declared an emergency anticipating a precautionary shutdown

On downwind for 22L the quantity was zero and we lost all oil pressure, we immediately shut it down

Unfortunately there was bad weather in the area with some squalls associated with thunderstorms nearby and resulting wind shear

The aircraft ahead of us on approach reported a 20 knot airspeed loss on short final

I thought about this and mentioned to the Captain if we encountered this same airspeed loss on one engine we wouldn’t have adequate performance to recover, close to the ground that would have been a big problem

He agreed and we initiated a single engine go-around, just then we flew into that same wind shear and had to level off with maximum power to maintain speed

It seemed like a long time before the airspeed started building again but finally it increased, we cleaned up and diverted over to JFK where we made an uneventful single engine landing

An interesting evening

Indeed very intresting Mr Max...I love reading all these stories from real life pilots...its so much better than watching a documentary or video clips...Thanks a lot for sharing it with us.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:23 am

Woodreau wrote:
Lots of unruly passengers.... I’ve removed so many passengers from the plane on so many flights, I’m starting to think the problem is me not the passengers...

My first emergency occurred on my first solo flight. On the takeoff climbing thru 200ft, I did my normal tap the altimeter, mentally ran thru the emergency procedures.. “below 200 land straight ahead, above 200ft emergency return, turn to land downwind.”. While I was reviewing, the tow plane caught on fire and was rocking its wings to signal me to release the tow cable... I didn’t notice at first but after a few more violent wing rocks, I got the message and pulled the tow cable release. as soon as I let go, the tow pilot pulled a hard left and went for a landing, I pushed and turned 180 right and landed downwind. My instructor was watching the whole thing from the ground... After I got back on the ground, he said he about had a heart attack when he saw the whole thing developing and feeling helpless about it but overall not a bad first solo. The tow pilot said he was ready to leave me with the tow cable, if I hadn’t pulled the release when I did. I had about 5 hours total time when I logged my first solo and first “emergency.”

2nd emergency was totally self inflicted, caused by many factors and all the holes in the Swiss cheese lining up perfectly for my flight. I thought I had the min takeoff fuel when I took off, but in reality I was already burning my 45 minute reserve when I took off, but didn’t know it until I was already half way into the flight... I was screwed either way didn’t have the fuel to go back to origin and I didn’t have the fuel to continue to destination. All I could do was use the last of my fuel to climb to set up for a glide to the closest airport which was the destination... never flamed out, but made the runway with both Lo fuel cautions angrily illuminated and managed to taxi to the ramp with the engines flaming out as I pulled into the parking spot.

Or one of my “13 bad days in the navy”..... the time I got shot from 15km away by a navy destroyer. It was a good thing the navy can’t hit what they shoot with their 127mm naval rifles. They missed but the impact crater was still close enough I could walk out of the concrete bunker observation post and do some “crater analysis” for training and collect some 127mm shrapnel for souvenirs to take back with me back to the mainland.

Another one of those bad days in the navy is when I sank the captains gig in Hong Kong harbor as the boat officer in charge.... I did go down with the boat tho.

Anyways I hated when the James Cameron movie “titanic” came out. That was my favorite place to hang out on the ship. I’d walk to the forward edge of the flight deck on the bow and sit down on the deck and dangle my feet over the deck edge and feel the wind in my face and nothing but open ocean in front of me... sometimes down there would be dolphins down there playing and swimming in the bow wake... after the movie came out, I couldn’t go up there anymore because I’d be accused of copying Leonardo decaprio.

Some very intresting stories Mr Woodreau..I would love to know more about unruly passengers side of it all too..I have never been one but at times I have ended up annoying a few pilots from my questions though :lol:

BTW I have a story of an unruly pax on one of my ATR 72 flight last year where I wrote a statement against a passenger when they cabin crew asked me if I could testify against her..and that lady was crazy...I will share this story on my next post.

Thank you Mr Woodreau !

Max Q

Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:51 am

FligtReporter wrote:
Max Q wrote:

An interesting evening

Indeed very intresting Mr Max...I love reading all these stories from real life pilots...its so much better than watching a documentary or video clips...Thanks a lot for sharing it with us.

You’re very welcome, glad you found it of interest, best wishes
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:31 am

So here is my story regarding an unruly passenger on my flight from IDR to LKO last year onboard an ATR 72-600.

So I was flying from JAI to LKO via IDR and while I was in the transit waiting for my birdie to return to fly me back to my homebase,I came across this girl who was very loud and just unruly at the waiting area itself.Now I didn't know her personally and neither Im ever interested to know anyone while I'm traveling.So this girl came and sat right next to me and remember she occupied the middle seat where there was clearly a sticker prohibiting anyone to sit for social distancing purposes.I requested her to sit on the corner seat and she just didn't listen and kept rambling her own story how she doesn't like to sit at airports,her father is a business king and how she loves flying in private jets etc (Yet she was flying in a low cost carrier)

By this time I was annoyed and frustrated beyond words..Thankfully my birdie landed and it was time for boarding and even while boarding she had issues, she was quarreling with the ground staff that she wanted a window seat bla bla etc...and all these remarks were loud so everyone in the waiting area knew about this hullabaloo.

Finally,after boarding and takeoff as the seat belt sign turned off she was back with her stupid self again..I mean the crew were wearing their safety kits and face shields etc and still trying their best to make sure all the pax are served with whatever they needed like water bottles etc and I have huge respect for the crew and pilots for trying their best to get us,the pax,safely to our destination but this girl had the nerve to yell at the crew members.

She started demanding that she should be given a meal and remind you this was a low cost carrier (IndiGo) and last year after the flight ops started there were no meal services until by December...the crew informed her about the policies and stuff and she started with her screaming again it was to a point where I couldn't stand it so I stood up against her and I told her to behave and I ask the crew to inform the captain about it,following which,the captain made special announcement to let her know that she needs to behave or else she will have authorities at LKO waiting for her.

It was non stop rambling throughout the flight..the crew came and asked me if I would testify against this pax and I was more than happy to do so..they gave me a paper where I mentioned my seat no. and name and all the details regarding the rude behavior of this passenger.

After landing she was escorted by the airport police and when I got down I could see her crying hysterically surrounded by the police.I was happy she got what she deserved.

I think this is why I've never had any bad experiences with Cabin Crew or Pilots because I always follow the instructions ...I know even when after the flight I'm curious to know about my flight and have questions for pilots and they don't have time then I just deboard..I never insist or anything like that.. I understand they are all busy people and they are doing their job and probably thats why I have never had a single problem with the airline crew or ground staff and I think as passengers we must all behave ourselves and make sure that we never end up becoming a cause of discomfort to anyone.

Starlionblue

Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:43 am

FligtReporter wrote:
N965UW wrote:
IAHFLYR wrote:

I remember flying this C182RG in the Microsoft flight simulator earlier versions and I think its the same plane that has the weirdest style of its main gears retraction :lol: and I used to wonder how come they never get stuck and here I am after decades reading just that ..Intresting story MrN

Those weird Cessna gears do get stuck, but not so much on the 182RG.

My flight school had to write off both their C172RG within a couple of years. In both cases, the landing gear mechanism sheared in flight and left the mains dangling behind. Not worth the salvage after the belly landings. The mechanism is similar to the 182RG one, but flimsier. Thankfully I managed to finish my CPL a few months before writeoff #2. Despite being a Cessna only shop, they got the message and bought a Piper Arrow. ;)
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:52 am

Starlionblue wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
N965UW wrote:

Those weird Cessna gears do get stuck, but not so much on the 182RG.

My flight school had to write off both their C172RG after the landing gear mechanism sheared in flight and left the mains dangling behind. It is similar to the 182RG mechanism, but flimsier. Thankfully I managed to finish my CPL a few months before writeoff #2. Despite being a Cessna only shop, they got the message and bought a Piper Arrow. ;)

Kewl MrStarlion,I never liked those two grasshopper legs in that plane...You know whats my favourite Trainer aircraft ?

Its the TB 20..It was my first ever single prop plane that I heard of and saw which was during my summer vacations at my father's posting location nearby which there was a flying academy and they use to fly these good looking white planes with red bordered wing tips and I still remember when they use to fly by really low I could see their registrations under the wings like VT-XYZ etc...Great days.They still have them and now they also got the DA42s and Beech kings also.

I wanted to fly that TB20 so bad but I never got a chance to even sit in it let alone flying it :lol:

Starlionblue

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:23 am

I don't know if I'd call it a "tense situation", but I had very very faint smoke in the cockpit on approach once, accompanied by a hot plastic smell. The cabin crew reported smell but no smoke.

Thankfully we were only about 20 minutes from touchdown. Oxygen masks on. Expedited approach. Autoland.

No big dramas. Back home in time for tea and medals.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:26 am

Starlionblue wrote:
I don't know if I'd call it a "tense situation", but I had very very faint smoke in the cockpit on approach once, accompanied by a hot plastic smell. The cabin crew reported smell but no smoke.

Thankfully we were only about 20 minutes from touchdown. Oxygen masks on. Expedited approach. Autoland.

WoW..really Mr Starlion !! I have read that smoke combined with smell is never a good sign right ? you know during the engine start up I do smell the fuel type smell but over the years I've realized its normal but never encounters any smoke or anything like that.

BTW what aircraft was it on ?

Starlionblue

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:38 am

FligtReporter wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

WoW..really Mr Starlion !! I have read that smoke combined with smell is never a good sign right ? you know during the engine start up I do smell the fuel type smell but over the years I've realized its normal but never encounters any smoke or anything like that.

Smoke is never a good thing, especially if you can't identify the source. But this was by no means intense smoke and dissipated quickly, leaving just the smell. No abnormal indications, so we weren't really concerned. Masks on just in case, because you don't want to risk ingesting something that might affect your cognition, e.g. carbon monoxide.

Compared to the other stories in this thread, pretty much a non-event. :)

At a guess, there was some minor contamination in the pressurisation/air-conditioning system that encountered a hot surface.

It was an A330.

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:53 am

Starlionblue wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Smoke is never a good thing, especially if you can't identify the source. But this was by no means intense smoke and dissipated quickly, leaving just the smell. No abnormal indications, so we weren't really concerned. Masks on just in case, because you don't want to risk ingesting something that might affect your cognition, e.g. carbon monoxide.

Compared to the other stories in this thread, pretty much a non-event. :)

At a guess, there was some minor contamination in the pressurisation/air-conditioning system that encountered a hot surface.

It was an A330.

Oh none of the stories are uneventful for me Mr starlion..may be mine is lolz..So You fly a 330 ..woow you know I have spotted 330 a lot of times thats the biggest regular bird we receive here of Saudia...Lemme share one of my best spottings of this bird ! Here is the beautiful 333 just after takeoff with dusk shade in the background

https://youtu.be/koIBDEy23JE

I hope you like it Mr Starlion !

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:03 am

Woodreau wrote:

Thanks for sharing this very intresting story Mr Woodreau..I wanna say one thing related the last remarks...I'm sure Leo must be a good actor ,however,you forgot that Leo is an ACTOR and he ACTED in the movie titanic and as much as I love that movie..I would never want you to change yourself or your interests for the sake of what others think of you..those who think of you trying to copy someone from a movie..tell them that the character of "JACK" never existed for real so "there's a possibility of James Cameron copying me to his script" ;)

seven47

Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:23 pm

In 2014, I was tasked with conducting a post- maintenance test flight of a 747-200 that had just completed a maintenance "C check", which is basically a thorough inspection and repair session that can take a number of weeks to complete. For a variety of reasons, a test flight is required to check the aircraft's systems and flight characteristics prior to its return to revenue service.

This type of flight is usually a lot of fun, as you get to do things that you normally don't get to do, like shutting down engines, alternately extending the landing gear, and MAX autobrake landings (which were violent with 16 brakes and an empty airplane!) We flew these flights under Part 91, so we'd go out and fly the 747 VFR and get flight following from ATC, as if we were in a giant 172!

On this particular flight, everything went well until about 2 seconds after V1, when the number 3 engine started to lose thrust. The Flight Engineer instinctively pushed the thrust lever up to increase the power, and then the fire bell rang!

I rotated and continued the climb to our briefed acceleration height, sped up, cleaned up and called for the checklist, just like a sim ride. The FE and FO ran the checklist and fired the first fire bottle.... and the fire bell was still ringing. We continued the checklist and fired the 2nd bottle. Still burning. I had the FO declare an emergency and tell ATC that we needed an immediate return. On about a 2 mile final approach, the fire bell and lights extinguished, which we all chuckled about.

We taxied back to the ramp on 2 engines, shut down and debriefed our little adventure.

I don't remember all if the details, but it was discovered that a MX oversight led to a portion of high pressure (and temp) ducting being disconnected which allowed hot air to be where it should never be and blew out the engine's pressure relief panels!

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:24 pm

seven47 wrote:
In 2014, I was tasked with conducting a post- maintenance test flight of a 747-200 that had just completed a maintenance "C check", which is basically a thorough inspection and repair session that can take a number of weeks to complete. For a variety of reasons, a test flight is required to check the aircraft's systems and flight characteristics prior to its return to revenue service.

This type of flight is usually a lot of fun, as you get to do things that you normally don't get to do, like shutting down engines, alternately extending the landing gear, and MAX autobrake landings (which were violent with 16 brakes and an empty airplane!) We flew these flights under Part 91, so we'd go out and fly the 747 VFR and get flight following from ATC, as if we were in a giant 172!

On this particular flight, everything went well until about 2 seconds after V1, when the number 3 engine started to lose thrust. The Flight Engineer instinctively pushed the thrust lever up to increase the power, and then the fire bell rang!

I rotated and continued the climb to our briefed acceleration height, sped up, cleaned up and called for the checklist, just like a sim ride. The FE and FO ran the checklist and fired the first fire bottle.... and the fire bell was still ringing. We continued the checklist and fired the 2nd bottle. Still burning. I had the FO declare an emergency and tell ATC that we needed an immediate return. On about a 2 mile final approach, the fire bell and lights extinguished, which we all chuckled about.

We taxied back to the ramp on 2 engines, shut down and debriefed our little adventure.

I don't remember all if the details, but it was discovered that a MX oversight led to a portion of high pressure (and temp) ducting being disconnected which allowed hot air to be where it should never be and blew out the engine's pressure relief panels!

That was quite some scary yet funny story Mr 747..Oh wait BTW you're the very first 747 pilot that I'm ever interacting with..and just to let you know I love the Queen and also I may be the only plane spotter and avgeek who have composed a poem on the Queen...I actually had it on my Youtube Channel when I tried to get it to the people at boeing but nothing worked so I took it down.

May I know more of your experiences flying the Queen also what do you think is the future of the Queen ? I know the 748Is and 8Fs are out there doing good but dunno for how long though given now we have twin engine jets like 788s,789s and 777s and 359,35X etc in huge demand.

SAAFNAV

Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:50 am

I'll say a cargo fire on-board was the worst experience I've had. Cruising at FL250, just passed Ndola airport in Zambia when the loadmaster reported smoke. From the first call to evacuation was 12minutes, including a shortened NDB approach. The helicopter tug we had on board had a short-circuit in the starter motor wires. Fire is definitely the thing I'm scared of most.

I've had more engine failures that I can count, all on the C-130 so normally not a big event. Most of them were propeller governor issues (old mechanical contraptions that work with smoke, magic and witchcraft).
We actually had an engine failure on this past Thursday. Just before top of climb low oil pressure warning light came on, accompanied by the gearbox pressure needle all the way to zero. (on the ground they pulled the mag-plug on the main reduction gearbox, and a lot of bearing balls fell out).
Crossing the Rwenzorie Mountains on 3-engines with a massive line squall was interesting, with continual evaluation as to where we would escape if another engines goes. (19 200ft grid MORA with 12 000' MSA into GOMA).

Like Woodreau, I have some experience with glider failures. My first sortie to practice cable breaks turned out to be an actual cable break (winch launch) at about 150'. At least you have very powerful spoilers to get you back onto the ground.

When I was still young and incredibly stupid (now I'm just average stupid), we flew low with an SF25C motor glider over the river, when my buddy shouted to go down. We missed the power line by centimeters. Lesson learned.

Once we were in formo with 2 C-130's for a flypast. I was in No. 2 in tight right vic formation, and the leader called 'stand-by for left tuuurn, left turn go'. Of course our pilot anticipated the left turn, but lead turned right (army right, that one where the thumb is left). When the burly loadmaster shouts like a little girl, you know our end was near. He reckoned our wingtip was a foot or so away from their elevator.
That leader was always put in the lead position as that is where he is least likely to kill you (he always thought it's because he is the best), but sometimes the odds are not on your side.

The most intense flight I've had (we weren't in direct danger, but I really did not like the experience) was low-level night formation over the coast. With the stars blending into the lights of the ships with no horizon, and some lighthouses and another plane just in front of and below you, it's not something I would willfully do again.

But everything pales into comparison to the time we had no coffee on-board.
ex L-382G Loadmaster, ex C-130B Navigator, Möchtegern Flugzeugführer

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:09 am

SAAFNAV wrote:
I'll say a cargo fire on-board was the worst experience I've had. Cruising at FL250, just passed Ndola airport in Zambia when the loadmaster reported smoke. From the first call to evacuation was 12minutes, including a shortened NDB approach. The helicopter tug we had on board had a short-circuit in the starter motor wires. Fire is definitely the thing I'm scared of most.

I've had more engine failures that I can count, all on the C-130 so normally not a big event. Most of them were propeller governor issues (old mechanical contraptions that work with smoke, magic and witchcraft).
We actually had an engine failure on this past Thursday. Just before top of climb low oil pressure warning light came on, accompanied by the gearbox pressure needle all the way to zero. (on the ground they pulled the mag-plug on the main reduction gearbox, and a lot of bearing balls fell out).
Crossing the Rwenzorie Mountains on 3-engines with a massive line squall was interesting, with continual evaluation as to where we would escape if another engines goes. (19 200ft grid MORA with 12 000' MSA into GOMA).

Like Woodreau, I have some experience with glider failures. My first sortie to practice cable breaks turned out to be an actual cable break (winch launch) at about 150'. At least you have very powerful spoilers to get you back onto the ground.

When I was still young and incredibly stupid (now I'm just average stupid), we flew low with an SF25C motor glider over the river, when my buddy shouted to go down. We missed the power line by centimeters. Lesson learned.

Once we were in formo with 2 C-130's for a flypast. I was in No. 2 in tight right vic formation, and the leader called 'stand-by for left tuuurn, left turn go'. Of course our pilot anticipated the left turn, but lead turned right (army right, that one where the thumb is left). When the burly loadmaster shouts like a little girl, you know our end was near. He reckoned our wingtip was a foot or so away from their elevator.
That leader was always put in the lead position as that is where he is least likely to kill you (he always thought it's because he is the best), but sometimes the odds are not on your side.

The most intense flight I've had (we weren't in direct danger, but I really did not like the experience) was low-level night formation over the coast. With the stars blending into the lights of the ships with no horizon, and some lighthouses and another plane just in front of and below you, it's not something I would willfully do again.

But everything pales into comparison to the time we had no coffee on-board.

Phew !! These incidents are quite on another level all together...thanks for sharing Mr SAAFNAV

SAAFNAV

Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:15 am

FligtReporter wrote:
Phew !! These incidents are quite on another level all together...thanks for sharing Mr SAAFNAV

Oh yeah, I forgot the time we had a missile launch warning on short final into Bangui, CAR during the Seleka rebel uprisings. Confirmed SA-7's in the area and we had no IR decoy flares.
On the flight out we hugged the treetops and dived into the river area. That was fun.

As regards to your question about how do you handle these events? Do what your training tells you to do, handle it as best you can and debrief afterwards to see what you missed, where you can improve etc. And the next day go out there and try again.
ex L-382G Loadmaster, ex C-130B Navigator, Möchtegern Flugzeugführer

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:59 am

SAAFNAV wrote:
FligtReporter wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot the time we had a missile launch warning on short final into Bangui, CAR during the Seleka rebel uprisings. Confirmed SA-7's in the area and we had no IR decoy flares.
On the flight out we hugged the treetops and dived into the river area. That was fun.

As regards to your question about how do you handle these events? Do what your training tells you to do, handle it as best you can and debrief afterwards to see what you missed, where you can improve etc. And the next day go out there and try again.

Thanks for sharing these exciting adventures with all of us Mr SAAF !!

bigb

Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:58 pm

The most tense moments I’ve had were associated with weather and Thunderstorm.

Back in 2016, I was flying a charter trip in a Cessna 310 and chasing another company aircraft. We left Chicago about 9pm and thunderstorms were already at force in the area and throughout the state of IL. The aircraft of ahead of us had on-board radar but we didn’t. Most of the flight was uneventful until we got out of Springfield IL. There were two cells that had a wide gap (25 miles wide) to shoot through. The aircraft ahead of us shot the gap uneventful. We made the same turn to shoot the gap and we just got rocked for about 15-20 mins. After I’ve landed, I looked at our flight on FlightAware and saw that we turned too early and turned underneath part of cell.

Woodreau

Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:23 pm

One of the times we had to deal with a disruptive passenger was during an emergency after we did an inflight engine shutdown.

The engine shutdown went pretty much as well as it could be done. We performed the immediate action memory items for shutting down the engine. Then we split into our two roles - PF flying the plane, the PM doing everything else - figuring out nearest suitable airport for diversion, running the engine shutdown checklist, coordinating with ATC and dispatch, etc.

So while we're doing all of that, one of the passengers came up to the flight deck - there was only a curtain - no cockpit door. so he immediately asks "Hey what are you guys doing up here? don't you know there's an engine shutdown back there?"

"I need you guys to start fixing the problem and tell us what's going on instead of reading a book up here" pointing at the QRH the captain had pulled out and open and was referring to to complete the engine shutdown.

We didn't know what to think at that point - the captain told him that he needed to return to his seat and fasten his seat belt - we were going to be landing shortly. the passenger refused to leave us alone to complete the engine shutdown and diversion and demanded answers ... wanted to know why we shut down the engine, what was wrong with it, etc....

Eventually he left after the captain told him that he was interfering with flight crew. but we had wasted a lot of time dealing with him. But the whole time he was complaining and saying he wouldn't fly on our airline again. so in short - the passenger made dealing with the emergency a little bit more difficult.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Aaron747

Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:47 am

You guys are the absolute best for reading with an after work coffee.

Can’t really stack up with the above stories but I competently handled a surprise glitch years ago on my first night solo in a C172 at about 30 hours. Was doing night pattern work and on my third TNG, went to retract the flaps and the handle detached from the panel and thudded to the floor in front of the right seat. Power setting and airspeed were too high to abort and I feared the nose ballooning up so I nudged the yoke forward, let things settle for a second and got airborne. Trimmed things out till climb felt normal instead of balloony, and then radioed the tower that I had stuck flaps and would be slow in the pattern. The controller was nice enough to keep things clear until I came around and got back down. My CFI later told me I had done everything right except retracting the flaps after adding power. :whistleblower:
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:28 am

Woodreau wrote:
One of the times we had to deal with a disruptive passenger was during an emergency after we did an inflight engine shutdown.

The engine shutdown went pretty much as well as it could be done. We performed the immediate action memory items for shutting down the engine. Then we split into our two roles - PF flying the plane, the PM doing everything else - figuring out nearest suitable airport for diversion, running the engine shutdown checklist, coordinating with ATC and dispatch, etc.

So while we're doing all of that, one of the passengers came up to the flight deck - there was only a curtain - no cockpit door. so he immediately asks "Hey what are you guys doing up here? don't you know there's an engine shutdown back there?"

"I need you guys to start fixing the problem and tell us what's going on instead of reading a book up here" pointing at the QRH the captain had pulled out and open and was referring to to complete the engine shutdown.

We didn't know what to think at that point - the captain told him that he needed to return to his seat and fasten his seat belt - we were going to be landing shortly. the passenger refused to leave us alone to complete the engine shutdown and diversion and demanded answers ... wanted to know why we shut down the engine, what was wrong with it, etc....

Eventually he left after the captain told him that he was interfering with flight crew. but we had wasted a lot of time dealing with him. But the whole time he was complaining and saying he wouldn't fly on our airline again. so in short - the passenger made dealing with the emergency a little bit more difficult.

Thanks for sharing your experience Mr Woodreau !

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:28 am

bigb wrote:
The most tense moments I’ve had were associated with weather and Thunderstorm.

Back in 2016, I was flying a charter trip in a Cessna 310 and chasing another company aircraft. We left Chicago about 9pm and thunderstorms were already at force in the area and throughout the state of IL. The aircraft of ahead of us had on-board radar but we didn’t. Most of the flight was uneventful until we got out of Springfield IL. There were two cells that had a wide gap (25 miles wide) to shoot through. The aircraft ahead of us shot the gap uneventful. We made the same turn to shoot the gap and we just got rocked for about 15-20 mins. After I’ve landed, I looked at our flight on FlightAware and saw that we turned too early and turned underneath part of cell.

Thanks for sharing that Mr BigB

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:30 am

Aaron747 wrote:
You guys are the absolute best for reading with an after work coffee.

Can’t really stack up with the above stories but I competently handled a surprise glitch years ago on my first night solo in a C172 at about 30 hours. Was doing night pattern work and on my third TNG, went to retract the flaps and the handle detached from the panel and thudded to the floor in front of the right seat. Power setting and airspeed were too high to abort and I feared the nose ballooning up so I nudged the yoke forward, let things settle for a second and got airborne. Trimmed things out till climb felt normal instead of balloony, and then radioed the tower that I had stuck flaps and would be slow in the pattern. The controller was nice enough to keep things clear until I came around and got back down. My CFI later told me I had done everything right except retracting the flaps after adding power. :whistleblower:

Thanks for sharing that Aaron!

r6russian

Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:12 am

Mines nothing like others properly stressful and scary stories but it was probably my 5th or 6ths PPL training flight, i show up to the airport and wind is blowing directly across the runway, 15 gusting 20. Crosswind limit for a 172 is 15 so we went flying, did what felt like an hour of turns around a point (very good to do when you got consistent strong wind, really shows you what it does to the plane, anywhere between 5deg and almost 40deg of bank to maintain a circle track, depending on the quadrant) eventually came back, still 15 gusting 20. Less than 10 landings under my belt, all in calm wind or more in line with the runway i was pretty nervous about this max certified crosswind landing. Flew my downwind crabbed a good 20 degrees to the right, there was no base, just a turn straight from downwind right onto final and boy, this wind blew me so far over from the runway, there was no chance to come back on line so i called go around and went for another circuit. This time i flew my downwind a good mile, mile and a quarter over from the runway (usually half a mile over), started my turn to final about where i normally flew the downwind, got aligned and damn near held on for dear life all the way down. Wasnt a smooth landing, touched down on the last arrow before the displaced threshhold but plane made it fine. Looked over at my cfi and we both started laughing, that was pretty terrifying for a first real crosswind landing.

After that we started purposely flying to local airfields that had crosswinds, they got easy, almost fun. My cfi would let me fly them how i wanted, wings level crabbed and kicking out of the crab right at the end, wing down opposite rudder forward slipping, crab then bank into a forward slip for the last hundred feet or so, it was fun.

After we parked the plane after that first landing and walked into the office, the guy in the office said he heard me call go around on the ctaf, knew it was windy, walked outside and saw us overflying the office building, which is a quarter mile away from the runway. Made me think 15 is a little steep for a crosswind limit for a 172 but it was a great learning experience. Scare yourself with the extreme, everything else is easy after that

Aaron747

Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:21 am

r6russian wrote:
Mines nothing like others properly stressful and scary stories but it was probably my 5th or 6ths PPL training flight, i show up to the airport and wind is blowing directly across the runway, 15 gusting 20. Crosswind limit for a 172 is 15 so we went flying, did what felt like an hour of turns around a point (very good to do when you got consistent strong wind, really shows you what it does to the plane, anywhere between 5deg and almost 40deg of bank to maintain a circle track, depending on the quadrant) eventually came back, still 15 gusting 20. Less than 10 landings under my belt, all in calm wind or more in line with the runway i was pretty nervous about this max certified crosswind landing. Flew my downwind crabbed a good 20 degrees to the right, there was no base, just a turn straight from downwind right onto final and boy, this wind blew me so far over from the runway, there was no chance to come back on line so i called go around and went for another circuit. This time i flew my downwind a good mile, mile and a quarter over from the runway (usually half a mile over), started my turn to final about where i normally flew the downwind, got aligned and damn near held on for dear life all the way down. Wasnt a smooth landing, touched down on the last arrow before the displaced threshhold but plane made it fine. Looked over at my cfi and we both started laughing, that was pretty terrifying for a first real crosswind landing.

After that we started purposely flying to local airfields that had crosswinds, they got easy, almost fun. My cfi would let me fly them how i wanted, wings level crabbed and kicking out of the crab right at the end, wing down opposite rudder forward slipping, crab then bank into a forward slip for the last hundred feet or so, it was fun.

After we parked the plane after that first landing and walked into the office, the guy in the office said he heard me call go around on the ctaf, knew it was windy, walked outside and saw us overflying the office building, which is a quarter mile away from the runway. Made me think 15 is a little steep for a crosswind limit for a 172 but it was a great learning experience. Scare yourself with the extreme, everything else is easy after that

Sounds like you were forming good habits early. Extending the centerline and using less flap are the keys to better xwind landings in the 172 (and 182 and especially 206).
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

FligtReporter
Topic Author

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:30 am

r6russian wrote:

Thanks for sharing MrRussian !

Kno

Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:19 pm

CosmicCruiser wrote:

Very interesting story - at what point were dc10s on mem-bos?

CosmicCruiser

Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:19 pm

middle to late 90s