Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PresRDC
Topic Author

Cargo Pilots Dropped Off At Passenger Terminal

Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:22 pm

Hi All,

I've been watching a few videos from Air Clips on YouTube recently, specifically some involving an LH Cargo MD-11F crew. In two of the videos, I noticed the crew was dropped off by the van from the hotel at the passenger terminal in BOM and HKG and then, presumably, driven over the cargo terminal or aircraft parking position. Is this normal practice? Why would they not be dropped at the cargo terminal?

Thanks!

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Cargo Pilots Dropped Off At Passenger Terminal

Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:30 pm

Customs and Passport Control, pretty normal procedure for CI to only be available at pax terminal, not elsewhere.

N965UW

Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:41 pm

Last year on Flightradar24 I noticed an Atlas 748F sitting at the pax terminal at HNL. I figured that since HA had parked many of its A332s, the gate space was open and the cargo guys decided "why not?"

e38

Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:42 pm

N965UW wrote:
I figured that since HA had parked many of its A332s, the gate space was open and the cargo guys decided "why not?"

Well, it's not exactly like they landed in Honolulu, noticed an open jetway, and said, "Hey, let's just go pull up to the terminal!"

At a busy airport, aircraft parking is obviously pre-coordinated--by flight operations, cargo management, airport management, etc--and under normal circumstances the crew knows where they will park ahead of arrival. Occasionally it changes whereby the crew is notified through ACARS message; radio contact with local operations, or from ground control.

Whenever I do sports charters, sometimes we park at the airport passenger terminal and sometimes at a local FBO on the airfield--we know in advance.

There can be various reasons a freighter parks at the terminal. Customs and immigration, as mentioned by GalaxyFlyer above; perhaps a crew member required medical attention and the quickest access was via terminal access.

e38

CosmicCruiser

Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:39 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Customs and Passport Control, pretty normal procedure for CI to only be available at pax terminal, not elsewhere.

GalaxyFlyer is correct. It depends on the city as well. At some places we were dropped off at the pax terminal and met by a co. rep who would accompany us thru CI and then take us ramp side to get transportation to the jet or ramp office. Almaty, Dubai, Delhi, Narita, Bombay are examples. Stanstead had CI right at the entrance to our ramp. FRA had CI on the cargo/gen aviation side.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:50 pm

We did it lot in corporate aviation. DEL and BOM before corporate ramps, also PEK. WAW had a dedicated private CI service, but LIS didn’t. GRU was always a nightmare, go thru the terminal lines following a pushy handler resisting equally pushy pax and officials, then long ride around the terminal to the remote ramp. Also, the goat rope of flying CGH to GRU just to clear outbound. So two rides around the airport. Fun squared. .DXB processed right at Jet Aviation. Lanseria was a treat, clear, startup, taxi about 200m to the ramp. I’ve landed twice went into CI and was told, go away if you were the pilots on that plane—high level folks, I guess.

fr8mech

Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:10 pm

When I was a flight mechanic with Evergreen, we’d frequently make tech or fuel stops. They’d often park us as a gate, since it was probably more convenient than a hardstand.

VSMUT

Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:58 pm

Yes, that is very normal. You need to pass security and sometimes immigration. Many airports have centralized those jobs in the passenger terminals.

The cargo terminal isn't a terminal in the same sense as a passenger terminal often is. It is pretty much just a big warehouse/package sorting facility. There is little inside a cargo terminal for the pilots to do or make use of (major hubs like FedEx at CDG or UPS at CGN being rare exemptions). The aircraft will be parked at remote stands that require the crew to be driven to the aircraft in a van, so entering the airfield via the terminal or cargo area is pretty much irrelevant. It is easier to ask the taxi driver or hotel to take you to Terminal XYZ departures area, nobody knows where to find the cargo entrance.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
DXB processed right at Jet Aviation.

Dubai International or Al Makhtoum?

RetiredWeasel

Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:30 pm

Fed Ex paid for customs/immigration folks to man their HUB in ANC so they didn't have to be transported to the terminal. Unfortunately, we freighter folks at NW up there didn't rate that luxury, so we parked at the north freighter terminal and taken by company folks to the pax terminal C/I and then taken back. A pain....

CosmicCruiser

Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:26 am

RetiredWeasel wrote:
Fed Ex paid for customs/immigration folks to man their HUB in ANC so they didn't have to be transported to the terminal. Unfortunately, we freighter folks at NW up there didn't rate that luxury, so we parked at the north freighter terminal and taken by company folks to the pax terminal C/I and then taken back. A pain....

Funny, It was a nice setup thought hey were known for being real hard ass. I never had a problem except fort he time we arrived around noon so as I went inside to the cI officer I had me sunglasses on. He kept staring at my passport, then at me, then the same thing again. I took my sunglasses off and he suddenly said "oh yeah, I see it's you". I was thinking BS!

RetiredWeasel

Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:52 am

CosmicCruiser wrote:
RetiredWeasel wrote:

Funny, It was a nice setup thought hey were known for being real hard ass. I never had a problem except fort he time we arrived around noon so as I went inside to the cI officer I had me sunglasses on. He kept staring at my passport, then at me, then the same thing again. I took my sunglasses off and he suddenly said "oh yeah, I see it's you". I was thinking BS!

I knew CPT that routinely left a bag in the transport van before going into customs. He as well as most of us had the standard flight bag and roll-on. I don't know what was in the other bag and neither do customs since they didn't look in the van. I thought he was going to get us all in trouble when I flew with him. --Flights from Pudong, that bag was always full. He claimed it was too difficult to carry...Ya right!

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:02 am

VSMUT wrote:
Yes, that is very normal. You need to pass security and sometimes immigration. Many airports have centralized those jobs in the passenger terminals.

The cargo terminal isn't a terminal in the same sense as a passenger terminal often is. It is pretty much just a big warehouse/package sorting facility. There is little inside a cargo terminal for the pilots to do or make use of (major hubs like FedEx at CDG or UPS at CGN being rare exemptions). The aircraft will be parked at remote stands that require the crew to be driven to the aircraft in a van, so entering the airfield via the terminal or cargo area is pretty much irrelevant. It is easier to ask the taxi driver or hotel to take you to Terminal XYZ departures area, nobody knows where to find the cargo entrance.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
DXB processed right at Jet Aviation.

Dubai International or Al Makhtoum?

Dubai Int’l but it’s been awhile. Corporates have been “pushed “ to use Al Makhtoum.

Starlionblue

Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:40 am

Typically, pax crew just use the pax facilities but get priority. But there are many variations. Just to name a few from various ports:

- Crew are taken in a van from the aircraft to a separate building far from the terminals for CI. Another van then picks up groundside. On departure, the process is reversed.

- Crew are taken in vans from the aircraft to a separate building for CI. After clearance, back in the same vans, which transit from airside to groundside and take the crew all the way to the hotel. On departure, crew are dropped off at the pax terminal and use pax facilities.

- Crew are taken in a van to a separate CI location from pax, on the ground floor of the terminal building. On departure, use pax facilities.

- Crew walk to a separate little immigration CI before the main pax CI. Get a receipt with a bar code. Use bar code to pass turnstiles into baggage claim. On departure, use pax facilities.

Francoflier

Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:12 am

FCO and MXP (and maybe other Italian airports) had small buildings on the airport perimeter, away from the main terminals, where crews would be bussed to clear security and immigration inbound and outbound. Not just freighter crews but intl pax crews as well. They were manned by a handful of custom officers who had clearly little interest in being overly diligent. It was awesome.
Walk-in, walk out. No 15 mile walk through endless terminals, no queue at immigration and security, no need to check your luggage in or wait for it at the belt... you were out of there and on your way to the hotel in no time, ditto on the way back in.

Unfortunately that was too good to be true and stopped a few years back.

VMCA787

Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:28 am

And, there is a third iteration for ANC. While flying for SQ, the crew would be taken to the International terminal to clear C/I and then walk to the street side exit for transport to the hotel. On return, we were driven right to the aircraft.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:18 pm

No outbound CI in the US. EAPIS does it, I guess, but never cleared out.

CosmicCruiser

Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:24 am

RetiredWeasel wrote:
CosmicCruiser wrote:
RetiredWeasel wrote:

I knew CPT that routinely left a bag in the transport van before going into customs. He as well as most of us had the standard flight bag and roll-on. I don't know what was in the other bag and neither do customs since they didn't look in the van. I thought he was going to get us all in trouble when I flew with him. --Flights from Pudong, that bag was always full. He claimed it was too difficult to carry...Ya right!

For us we had to take everything with us because we never went back to the van. The CI was in the hub so we would leave cI walk thru the hub to the front door. go thru security and out to the transportation to the hotel.