Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

maps4ltd
Topic Author

737-800 landing with flaps 15

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:13 am

I came across this video on Youtube the other day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqVcRVo ... roductions
Landing around 57:00.

This is the first time I've seen a 737 landing with flaps 15. Landings with a similar "halfway-down" flap selection seem to be a relatively common occurrence on A320 series aircraft (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Zr_cL ... roductions around 1:07).

Any other videos out there or instances of landing with a low flaps setting on 737 series aircraft?

JustAnFO

737-800 landing with flaps 15

Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:24 am

It’s not unheard of.

At hot and high airports, at heavy gross weights, flaps 15 landings may be required to meet approach climb performance requirements.

More common is landings with:
• high gross weight, and
• gusty winds, and
• autothrottles not used.

The reason pilots may elect to land flaps 15 in this condition is because approach speed (Vapp) can be within only a few knots of Vfe for flaps 30 (165 KIAS). A wind gust or delayed reaction by the pilot flying could cause the flaps to be oversped, necessitating a maintenance inspection. Flaps 15 adds only a few knots to Vref and Vapp, and a few hundred feet to the landing roll.

Pilots may be culturally disinclined to land flaps 15 because it requires the selection of GPWS flap override, which some argue may only be selected when directed by the QRH for an abnormal condition. However, increased training and emphasis at my former operator (a very large 737 operator) in recent years has helped to reduce this apprehension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flow2706

Re: 737-800 landing with flaps 15

Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:12 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Landings with a similar "halfway-down" flap selection seem to be a relatively common occurrence on A320 series aircraft (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Zr_cL ... roductions around 1:07).

Just to chime in on that, A320s are certified to land with either flaps full or flaps 3. Some companies really push pilots to use Flap 3 whenever possible as it saves some fuel (I heard the fuel saving is approximately 7kg per landing, not sure if that figure is totally accurate - it doesn't seem like a lot but with a fleet of 100 aircraft or so it can be a significant saving). Personally, I am not a big fan of using Flap 3 on A320s. The pitch is very high, the landing becomes more challenging and the risk of a tail strike increases. Also Flap 3 increases the landing speed and consequently the energy to be dissipated. On short turn arounds you could end up delaying the next departure for brake cooling if the aircraft is not equipped with a brake fan. The story is slightly different on A321s - due to the modified/improved flap system they tend to have the same pitch attitude in Flap 3 as the do in Flap full, in my opinion the 321s are actually easier to land in Flap 3 than in Flap full, even though the approach speed is higher.

e38

Re: 737-800 landing with flaps 15

Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:23 am

Flow2706 wrote:
A320s are certified to land with either flaps full or flaps 3. Some companies really push pilots to use Flap 3 whenever possible as it saves some fuel.

The story is slightly different on A321s - due to the modified/improved flap system they tend to have the same pitch attitude in Flap 3 as the do in Flap full.

With reference to saving fuel by using Flaps 3 approach and landing versus Flaps Full, it also reduces the noise footprint. At the company at which I work, although Flaps Full approach and landing is the preferred configuration, the company recommends Flaps 3 for approach to certain runways at a few airports that are designated as “noise sensitive,” subject to operational considerations and Captain discretion.

On the A321, the pitch is not “exactly” the same; Flaps 3 versus Flaps Full.

Flaps Full is approximately 1.8 degrees higher pitch than Flaps 3 configuration.

e38