Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Daylight Savings Time - connections

Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:53 pm

Of course Daylight Savings Time in the United States went into effect this morning at 2 AM. I assume that eastbound red eye flights would depart at their regular time but land an hour late at their destination. Would connecting flights from the red eyes be held or scheduled an hour later to accommodate the passengers off the red eyes?

Thanks for your respones.

Woodreau

Re: Daylight Savings Time - connections

Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:01 pm

The airline schedule during the transition takes the time change into account.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

IAHFLYR

Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:04 pm

Woodreau wrote:
The airline schedule during the transition takes the time change into account.

Dang ya beat me to it! :thumbsup:
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

DFW17L

Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:56 pm

Daylight Savings Time did not go into effect this morning. But Daylight Saving Time did.

Cubsrule

Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:57 am

Doesn’t AA move its PHX banks by an hour in March and November since Arizona does not observe DST?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

zeke

Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:09 pm

DFW17L wrote:
Daylight Savings Time did not go into effect this morning. But Daylight Saving Time did.

How much interest in the former ?
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

VirginFlyer

Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:31 pm

zeke wrote:
DFW17L wrote:

How much interest in the former ?

Upwards of 10% I gather, but beware of faded curtains.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

alasizon

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:30 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Doesn’t AA move its PHX banks by an hour in March and November since Arizona does not observe DST?

Yep, March moves the schedule an hour earlier and November an hour later. It is done so that only four stations have to adjust their work schedules (PHX, FLG, TUS, YUM) as opposed to every other station having to adjust their times to account for different flight times. WN does something similar but it isn't as hard cut as AA.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

FGITD

Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:13 pm

alasizon wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Yep, March moves the schedule an hour earlier and November an hour later. It is done so that only four stations have to adjust their work schedules (PHX, FLG, TUS, YUM) as opposed to every other station having to adjust their times to account for different flight times. WN does something similar but it isn't as hard cut as AA.

Similar to how many foreign operators deal with DST in the US. In the case of EU carriers, they’ll typically push the departure time from the outstation back an hour so the flight still arrives at the Hub at the right time to make the connection banks. Then a few weeks later when EU hits DST, switch it back an hour to adjust for the difference.

Weatherwatcher1

Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:42 pm

FGITD wrote:
alasizon wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Similar to how many foreign operators deal with DST in the US. In the case of EU carriers, they’ll typically push the departure time from the outstation back an hour so the flight still arrives at the Hub at the right time to make the connection banks. Then a few weeks later when EU hits DST, switch it back an hour to adjust for the difference.

I’ve heard that daylight saving time starting at different points in March messes you the North Atlantic flights. For US carriers that are landing at slot restricted airports, they need to stay in their slot in Europe, yet that can cause them to miss time a departure or arrival bank in the US.

Cubsrule

Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:40 am

FGITD wrote:
alasizon wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Southern Hemisphere locales that use summer and winter time are even more of a challenge because they don’t change at the same time and move in the opposite direction. It’s not too much of an issue in the Western Hemisphere because the ground times are very long in South America; not sure about Europe-Africa.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

aeromoe

Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:01 am

DFW17L wrote:

:checkmark: Exactly. But colloquially a LOT of people say "Savings" because that's probably how their parents said it so they just picked it up. I was one of them until I got older and learned the proper title.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:30 am

aeromoe wrote:
DFW17L wrote:

:checkmark: Exactly. But colloquially a LOT of people say "Savings" because that's probably how their parents said it so they just picked it up. I was one of them until I got older and learned the proper title.

I am no longer saying/writing "Savings"!

LH707330

Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:34 am

I was having this discussion with friends recently, and had a related question for longhaul fleets: how do carriers that typically have a 24-hour average rotation manage with a 23-hour day? Do they go all-hands on deck and not schedule MX so that they can keep the schedule, remove schedule buffer 10 mins over a week and hope for no disruptions, some combination?

dstc47

Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:53 am

Here in Europe we usually call it Summer Time or Winter Time, rather more appropriate terms - although the onset of Summer Time in late March each year often accords with some nasty weather. Many years ago I was hopeful that the ship ferry service I was on would have me home an hour earlier, due to the time change, but they delayed the departure from the port by an hour, so that the ship arrived at the usual time making the journey longer to synchronise the schedule.