Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ContinentalEWR
Topic Author

UA Maintenance Bases

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:53 pm

UA has a large and sprawling maintenance network spread around the world, with locations in Chicago, Denver, Guam, Houston, Los Angeles, Newark, San Francisco, Tokyo (Narita), and Washington DC. It also has locations in Cleveland, Orlando, and Tampa.

CLE is obviously a legacy CO facility, and I believe MCO is as well. What about TPA? I noticed on my last trip there a maintenance hangar with 3 737s inside. Curious as to why one exists there as well and what purpose it serves and whether mainline is cycled through there with revenue flights to/from the hubs.

Any info would be appreciated. The others are clear in that they are legacy UA and CO facilities.

United1

Re: UA Maintenance Bases

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:07 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
UA has a large and sprawling maintenance network spread around the world, with locations in Chicago, Denver, Guam, Houston, Los Angeles, Newark, San Francisco, Tokyo (Narita), and Washington DC. It also has locations in Cleveland, Orlando, and Tampa.

CLE is obviously a legacy CO facility, and I believe MCO is as well. What about TPA? I noticed on my last trip there a maintenance hangar with 3 737s inside. Curious as to why one exists there as well and what purpose it serves and whether mainline is cycled through there with revenue flights to/from the hubs.

Any info would be appreciated. The others are clear in that they are legacy UA and CO facilities.

TPA was built post merger...I can't answer the rest of your questions but I believe TPA opened in 2020. UA also has TechOps in HNL and a few other cities as well. I believe UA had a hangar at LHR at one point.

https://www.unitedtechops.com

Not all of these stations have hangars but UA does line maintenance at:
https://www.unitedtechops.com/line-maintenance

Article about TPA
https://www.tampabay.com/business/unite ... -20190605/
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

ContinentalEWR
Topic Author

Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:27 pm

United1 wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

TPA was built post merger...I can't answer the rest of your questions but I believe TPA opened in 2020. UA also has TechOps in HNL and a few other cities as well. I believe UA had a hangar at LHR at one point.

Article about TPA

Thank you! The TPA facility seems indeed like it is new. Appreciate the info.

United1

Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:11 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:
United1 wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Article about TPA

Thank you! The TPA facility seems indeed like it is new. Appreciate the info.

No worries....you might want to DM CalTech. He can probably answer your question.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

airzim

Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:36 pm

ContinentalEWR wrote:

Why TPA?

In general (not specific to TPA), cost and warm weather.

Cheaper cost of living makes it attractive to hire and live in TPA. SFO used to have a much cheaper cost of living and many UA workers could afford to live in the area. As they get older and retire, it's going to be interesting to see how they staff that station with new hires.

Warm weather allows maintenance outside and not in a hanger during the colder weather months. Plus TPA is a large station and easy to cycle the narrow body fleets in/out.

CO used to also have a large narrow body facility at HOU (which they didn't even fly to) and HNL for widebodies. I assume they're still there.

NWAESC

Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:43 pm

United1 wrote:

This link mentions a hangar at PDX. Does anyone know where it is?

I know they used to hardstand planes at the end of the E concourse and work on them, but that was all they had when I worked there.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

ContinentalEWR
Topic Author

Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:13 pm

airzim wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Why TPA?

Cheaper cost of living makes it attractive to hire and live in TPA. SFO used to have a much cheaper cost of living and many UA workers could afford to live in the area. As they get older and retire, it's going to be interesting to see how they staff that station with new hires.

Warm weather allows maintenance outside and not in a hanger during the colder weather months. Plus TPA is a large station and easy to cycle the narrow body fleets in/out.

CO used to also have a large narrow body facility at HOU (which they didn't even fly to) and HNL for widebodies. I assume they're still there.

Thanks. Good info. SFO is one of UA's largest maintenance bases and it's not likely it will move anywhere. It's been a fixture at the airport for decades and services aircraft from other carriers as well.

IAHFLYR

Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:26 pm

airzim wrote:

CO did fly to HOU and IAH both back in the late 80's early 90's. IIRC, they had something like 35-40 daily flights from HOU back then.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

aaway

Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:16 pm

NWAESC wrote:
United1 wrote:

This link mentions a hangar at PDX. Does anyone know where it is?

I know they used to hardstand planes at the end of the E concourse and work on them, but that was all they had when I worked there.

Appears to be located at the west end of the South Ramp. Across from the Horizon Air hangar: 7759 NE Mary Olson Way

https://www.google.com/maps/place/NE+Ma ... 6786?hl=en
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

NWAESC

Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:30 am

Awesome, thank you!

bigb

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:49 pm

I believe there is line Maintenance in SEA as well, no hangars but do have buildings though with some 73s parked next to them.

DL_Mech

Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:18 pm

aaway wrote:

Appears to be located at the west end of the South Ramp. Across from the Horizon Air hangar: 7759 NE Mary Olson Way

https://www.google.com/maps/place/NE+Ma ... 6786?hl=en

Way too much information here about the United Hangar (I warned you):

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bds/appeals/index.cfm?action=getfile&appeal_id=18916&file_id=23456
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Former AMT on A220,A310,A319/20/21,A330,A350,B707,B717,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,
MD-80/90,MD-11

NWAESC

Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:45 am

Thank you!

(I mean, I did ask. Lol. )

Aaron747

Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:57 am

airzim wrote:
ContinentalEWR wrote:

Why TPA?

COL is starting to come down thanks to COVID. In both SF city and parts of San Mateo County, rents have come down 15-30% depending on square footage wanted. Ironically home prices continue to rise though.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

maps4ltd

Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:16 pm

IAHFLYR wrote:
airzim wrote:

CO did fly to HOU and IAH both back in the late 80's early 90's. IIRC, they had something like 35-40 daily flights from HOU back then.

UA still has some sort of involvement with HOU. They parked 737 MAXes there last summer.

I've also seen UA flights divert to HOU when the weather was bad at IAH but not across town.
Next flights:
Who knows? :/

deltal1011man

Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:19 am

Pretty sure United closed the HOU hangar when they opened up the new hangar at IAH but I could be wrong.

also, I'm about 99% sure United is doing its V2500 overhauls in-house, even though their web site doesn't say so.