Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LongHaulFTW
Topic Author

HUD on commercial aircraft.

Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:20 pm

Seeing as how HUDs are making their way into commercial aircraft e.g. standard on all 787's, most commercial aircraft don't seem to have HUDs equipped. Is there a case for the HUD being a practical piece of equipment on commercial aircraft? I noticed that for example certain A350 operators chose to order theirs with the HUD and others without, so (asides from improving situational awareness) is there really a profitable case to be made for installing HUDs on commercial aircraft?

gregorygoodwin

Re: HUD on commercial aircraft.

Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:26 pm

For us at FedEx, apparently there is a profitable case. All of our ships have HUD's. Although I'm not totally sure about our Airbus A300's. Our MD10's, MD11's, B757's, and B767's all have HUD's installed. What may be different with our system is that it is coupled with a Forward Looking Infrared optics. Supposedly this allows landings in inclement weather that would otherwise demand a divert or loiter time waiting for better conditions. Our HUD/FlIR systems were not factory ordered, even on the new B767-300F's. They are installed in what I would suppose you would call after-market where the system is bought and installed by a vendor during a heavy check. The B767's are done in IND by in-house FedEx crews when we receive the ship new from Boeing out of Paine field. It takes about two weeks to install the system and get the ship ready for revenue service. I have noticed on one of our new B767's that WiFi antennae or now being installed also on the fuselage sides.
Gregory

e38

Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:42 am

arcticcruiser

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:19 pm

I have always viewed HUDs as an American thing. Initially devised to use for low vis in aircraft without autoland IIRC (thinking DC-9/MD80 etc. here). Over in Europe, which really needs low vis ops, HUDs have not really caught on. My lot operates CATIIIB to 75m RVR Minima without HUD. That said, I have never tried one, although it is installed in one of our simulators (just for US customers).
Cat II/III approaches are a norm of winter ops in Europe, but in 35 years of operating to the US, I have never done a low vis approach there.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:27 pm

Everybody, mostly because of the manual CAT III capability, thinks HUDs are for low vis conditions where it pays for itself elsewhere—visual approaches especially where visual illusions are present, more accurate hand flying, when combined with IR, great for avoiding buildups that don’t show on radar at night. Questions like, will this flight path get me around/over that storm, what’s the wind doing to me on short final are obvious in a HUD. All flying is about managing energy and path, HUDs make it simple.

CosmicCruiser

Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:17 am

And to add to GalaxyFlyer, the EFVS is great for those low vis taxis. STN comes to mind.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:23 am

Especially when you see the marshallers running out!

Starlionblue

Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:36 am

arcticcruiser wrote:
I have always viewed HUDs as an American thing. Initially devised to use for low vis in aircraft without autoland IIRC (thinking DC-9/MD80 etc. here). Over in Europe, which really needs low vis ops, HUDs have not really caught on. My lot operates CATIIIB to 75m RVR Minima without HUD. That said, I have never tried one, although it is installed in one of our simulators (just for US customers).
Cat II/III approaches are a norm of winter ops in Europe, but in 35 years of operating to the US, I have never done a low vis approach there.

And yet the first commercial aircraft with a HUD was French, and operated domestically in France. :D

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

arcticcruiser

Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:32 pm

And yet the first commercial aircraft with a HUD was French, and operated domestically in France. :D

[/quote]

Thanks, learn something every day!