Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Air Traffic Controllers and personal cell phones

Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:48 pm

I see people at places of work constantly checking their personal phones while on duty. Are air traffic controllers (worldwide) allowed to check their personal cells while on duty if it is not busy? If not are ATC personnel required to leave their cells "at the door" before starting their shifts?

Thanks for your responses.

KingOrGod

Re: Air Traffic Controllers and personal cell phone numbers

Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:40 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
I see people at places of work constantly checking their personal phones while on duty. Are air traffic controllers (worldwide) allowed to check their personal cells while on duty if it is not busy? If not are ATC personnel required to leave their cells "at the door" before starting their shifts?

Thanks for your responses.

At my facility usage of electronic devices of absolutely any description are explicitly banned, for workers and visitors alike. HUGE sign on the door.

IAHFLYR

Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:31 pm

And here I thought the OP was hoping to get the actual cell number of a controller/s! Not the best title of a thread ever.

We were totally going to get punishment if ever a cellphone was discovered in the operation. I do believe at least eight years ago when I retired that they were allowed in the facility offices and breakrooms though that has most likely changed to what KingOrGod wrote.....banned.

Woodreau

Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:32 pm

The number the controller gives you is not a personal cell phone number?

Darn...

The last time a controller told me to copy a number I thought she wanted to talk to me....

Nope it was the NTSB who wanted to talk to me. They had been trying to track me down for a few hours.

thewizbizman

Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:34 pm

As a visitor, I got to visit the MSP Tower Cab and TRACON with a group, made us leave all our phones and devices in a conference room before entering any active areas. Same deal when we got to visit Minneapolis Center (ARTCC), in fact, security was pretty tight there in general. Multiple gates, armed security, security checkpoints, IDs, etc.

With that, I can't imagine controllers are allowed to use them.