Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Soxfan
Topic Author

Question on JetBlue Crews

Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:30 am

Hello,

Out of pure curiosity, I have two questions about JetBlue flight crews:

1) I know JetBlue has a lot of flights out of San Juan to islands in the Caribbean, but I believe they do not have a crew base in SJU. From where are the crews for those flights usually based? Florida or farther north?

2) Are the JetBlue flights to/from Providence, RI, and Hartford, CT, operated by crews out of Boston, Florida, or somewhere else?

Thanks!

Soxfan :-)
Pilot: "Request push, which way should we face?" JFK Ground: "You better face the front, sir, or you'll scare the pax!"

johns624

Re: Question on JetBlue Crews

Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:36 am

If JetBlue is like other airlines, they could be based anywhere. My brother used to be a DTW-based DL 320 Capt and he might only see DTW on his first and last flight of a 3-4 day trip. It isn't all out and back flying.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:41 am

And it probably changes every other bid cycle. It’s never static for too long.

FARmd90

Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:49 pm

1) The SJU flights back to the mainland are always a mix of the bases MCO/JFK/BOS/FLL. However almost always if you’re doing a inter island flight (SJU-SDQ/PUJ/STT) it seems to then favor the MCO base. Why that is I’m not sure but that’s just what I’ve seen when working the flights.

2) Same thing as 1. It will be a mix and PVD doesn’t seem to favor one crew base over the other.

Cubsrule

Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:35 pm

FARmd90 wrote:
1) The SJU flights back to the mainland are always a mix of the bases MCO/JFK/BOS/FLL. However almost always if you’re doing a inter island flight (SJU-SDQ/PUJ/STT) it seems to then favor the MCO base. Why that is I’m not sure but that’s just what I’ve seen when working the flights.

MCO crews are probably, on average, more likely to have some of the duty day left when they arrive at SJU because the stage length is shorter than the northeast. That doesn’t explain MCO over FLL but could explain MCO versus BOS/JFK.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

LimaFoxTango

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:29 pm

To the OP's question #1, not sure what "alot of islands in the Caribbean" to which you refer, but B6 only operates to STT and the DR from SJU. The other islands are operated from JFK or FLL.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

Soxfan
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:48 am

LimaFoxTango wrote:
To the OP's question #1, not sure what "alot of islands in the Caribbean" to which you refer, but B6 only operates to STT and the DR from SJU. The other islands are operated from JFK or FLL.

Thank you everyone for the additional information! In response to this last post, I should have clarified that I know B6 only flies to two islands, but multiple locations within the DR. It looks like the same E190 flies most days beginning early morning SJU>SDQ>SJU>PUJ>SJU>STT>SJU>SDQ>SJU, so I didn't know if one crew began in SJU and operated most of those flights, and another crew picked up the later ones. (And that's a nice vacation for the E190 assigned to those routes, away from the harsh winter weather!)
Pilot: "Request push, which way should we face?" JFK Ground: "You better face the front, sir, or you'll scare the pax!"