Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Kayro
Topic Author
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:36 am

Why can a pax stand upright in downstairs toilets?

Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:22 am

Hello

well, the question is in the title. A cargo compartment's height is 1,70 metres. A LD3-container's inner height
is even less, about 1,63metres and aren't the toilets built into these LD3-containers, e.g. in Lufthansa's A340-600?
But there are a couple of youtube videos where adults stand upright, my guess is about 1,8metres.

Do mechanics actually remove part of the floor/beams or how does it work?
 
masi1157
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Why can a pax stand upright in downstairs toilets?

Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:35 am

Those toilets are not installed inside the containers, obviously. They are installed where a part of the cargo hold would have been. You can have LD3-size crew rest containers attached to them that are sitting in the cargo hold when needed.


Gruß, masi1157
517 different segments on 101 airlines to 212 airports in 55 countries
 
User avatar
DL_Mech
Posts: 2635
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 7:48 am

Re: Why can a pax stand upright in downstairs toilets?

Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:58 am

The L-1011 lower galley/lower lounge (PSA) had lowered floor beams compared to the normal C-1 or C-2 cargo compartments.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Former AMT on A220,A310,A319/20/21,A330,A350,B707,B717,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,
MD-80/90,MD-11
 
Dalmd88
Posts: 3176
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 3:19 am

Re: Why can a pax stand upright in downstairs toilets?

Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:00 pm

One thing to remember is in a cargo bin area of the belly you have the container handling system installed in the floor. that takes up at least 6-8" (15-20mm). So if you were to put a permanent crew structure or passenger lav in that space the floor can be lower in the bilge area. There is a lot of room under the cargo bin floor. Too have a flat floor with a good size pallet area they have to leave a lot of empty space in the bilge.
 
User avatar
ClipperYankee
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Re: Why can a pax stand upright in downstairs toilets?

Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:16 am

Dalmd88 wrote:
One thing to remember is in a cargo bin area of the belly you have the container handling system installed in the floor. that takes up at least 6-8" (15-20mm). So if you were to put a permanent crew structure or passenger lav in that space the floor can be lower in the bilge area. There is a lot of room under the cargo bin floor. Too have a flat floor with a good size pallet area they have to leave a lot of empty space in the bilge.


That brings up a question I've had. Let's say you're starting a flight at an airport with a remote stand and it is just pouring rain, with the passengers all getting rather wet while boarding and all the luggage getting wet while being loaded into the hold, etc. Is there a path for all that water to go, like a boat? Does it just eventually make it to the airplane's bilge and gets valved overboard?

Apols for going a bit off topic.
707/717/727/737-100,200,300,400,500,700,800/747-200,300,400/757-200,300/767-300,400
772/788&9/DC3/DC6/DC8/DC9/DC10/MD80s/L1011/A300/A319,320,321/A332&3/A343/A359/A388/
BAE146/ATP/ATR42/DHC2,3,7,8/S340B/CRJ200,700,900/E140,145,175,190/F70,100/B1900
 
User avatar
Starlionblue
Posts: 20644
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:54 pm

Re: Why can a pax stand upright in downstairs toilets?

Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:40 am

ClipperYankee wrote:
Dalmd88 wrote:
One thing to remember is in a cargo bin area of the belly you have the container handling system installed in the floor. that takes up at least 6-8" (15-20mm). So if you were to put a permanent crew structure or passenger lav in that space the floor can be lower in the bilge area. There is a lot of room under the cargo bin floor. Too have a flat floor with a good size pallet area they have to leave a lot of empty space in the bilge.


That brings up a question I've had. Let's say you're starting a flight at an airport with a remote stand and it is just pouring rain, with the passengers all getting rather wet while boarding and all the luggage getting wet while being loaded into the hold, etc. Is there a path for all that water to go, like a boat? Does it just eventually make it to the airplane's bilge and gets valved overboard?

Apols for going a bit off topic.


There are indeed bilges and drains just like on a boat. The drain masts are heated so the water doesn't freeze.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo
 
User avatar
Spacepope
Posts: 5210
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 1999 11:10 am

Re: Why can a pax stand upright in downstairs toilets?

Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:42 am

Dalmd88 wrote:
One thing to remember is in a cargo bin area of the belly you have the container handling system installed in the floor. that takes up at least 6-8" (15-20mm). So if you were to put a permanent crew structure or passenger lav in that space the floor can be lower in the bilge area. There is a lot of room under the cargo bin floor. Too have a flat floor with a good size pallet area they have to leave a lot of empty space in the bilge.

15-20cm, not mm. Big difference there
The last of the famous international playboys
 
User avatar
DL_Mech
Posts: 2635
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 7:48 am

Re: Why can a pax stand upright in downstairs toilets?

Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:13 am

ClipperYankee wrote:
Is there a path for all that water to go, like a boat? Does it just eventually make it to the airplane's bilge and gets valved overboard?



Oddly enough, an excellent picture appeared this week of the bilge drains. They are open on the ground and close with increased cabin pressure.

This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Former AMT on A220,A310,A319/20/21,A330,A350,B707,B717,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,
MD-80/90,MD-11
 
User avatar
Wildlander
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:08 pm

Re: Why can a pax stand upright in downstairs toilets?

Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:12 am

On the few A330-200s and the DLH A340-600s with lower deck toilets the floor structure was modified to create the necessary standing height. One reason why this feature was not popular was that although there were design schemes (on the A330 at least) to insert a structural plug to bring the floor level back to the standard cargo compartment height the added complexity and downtime of having to rip out the existing toilets, replace the stair opening with seats and install extra main cabin toilets with water and waste connections to compensate for the removal of the lower deck ones was always going to be too much hassle. AFAIK DLH never envisaged converting their -600s back to regular lower deck configuration.
 
zanl188
Posts: 3835
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:05 pm

Re: Why can a pax stand upright in downstairs toilets?

Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:54 am

DL_Mech wrote:

Oddly enough, an excellent picture appeared this week of the bilge drains. They are open on the ground and close with increased cabin pressure.



I see the drain masts. What are the buttons, for lack of a better word, along the keel?

Also a good view of LED landing lights on the Max.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe
 
acmx
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:49 pm

Re: Why can a pax stand upright in downstairs toilets?

Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:46 pm

They are the bilge drains. The drain masts are for things like lav and galley sinks usually.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Starlionblue and 20 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos