Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ojjunior
Topic Author

Red lights in gears bay. What for?

Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:25 pm

Hi folks

Watching this (amazing) video I noticed in the very first departure some sets of red lights in landing gear bays for this FX 777F, never have seen this before. What is this for? Is it a standard device or did FX installed it for some reason? Does any other acft have this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwOkRp4Bo1Y

bigb

Re: Red lights in gears bay. What for?

Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:35 pm

Gear well lighting.

CWL757

Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:48 pm

I believe it’s an indicator for whether the gear are locked or not but I could be wrong.
A319, A320, 738, 743, 744, 752, 772, 788, C150, E175, E190, F70, R22

wjcandee

Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:55 pm

I don't know if there's another reason, but typically red light in a lit area doesn't force your eyes to adjust when you look into darkness. Makes sense to light the gear wells with it at night. I notice that the Cathay 777 passenger aircraft that departs late in the video has the same red lighting, as does the Qatar 777 that follows it. The Kalitta 777 freighter that takes off right after FedEx also has the same lighting; it is just not as obvious because the Kalitta crew leaves the landing lights on longer than the FedEx crew does here, so the red lighting isn't as apparent.

B757Forever

Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:19 pm

It indicated the gear is in-transit.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

dunc12

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:59 pm

It actually indicates that the gear doors are unsafe and potentially moving. This lets ground crew know to vacate the gear bays in a hurry. The 757 has a similar feature, with its own test switch. The 767 lacks this feature, though the gear door retraction method on the ground is quite different compared to the 757/777.

edit: Referred to in the manual as "MAIN (or nose) GEAR DOOR UNSAFE" light

DarkSnowyNight

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:10 am

B757Forever wrote:
It indicated the gear is in-transit.
dunc12 wrote:
It actually indicates that the gear doors are unsafe and potentially moving. This lets ground crew know to vacate the gear bays in a hurry. The 757 has a similar feature, with its own test switch. The 767 lacks this feature, though the gear door retraction method on the ground is quite different compared to the 757/777.

edit: Referred to in the manual as "MAIN (or nose) GEAR DOOR UNSAFE" light

Correct. Only when components are in motion is the light red.

wjcandee wrote:
I don't know if there's another reason, but typically red light in a lit area doesn't force your eyes to adjust when you look into darkness. Makes sense to light the gear wells with it at night. I notice that the Cathay 777 passenger aircraft that departs late in the video has the same red lighting, as does the Qatar 777 that follows it. The Kalitta 777 freighter that takes off right after FedEx also has the same lighting; it is just not as obvious because the Kalitta crew leaves the landing lights on longer than the FedEx crew does here, so the red lighting isn't as apparent.

That may very well be true for some planes. But on the 777 the gear well lights, as activated by the switches on the NLG post and light control panel aft of the MLG bay, will illuminate with a standard white light.

This is true also for the BCA, AB, & McD aircraft I have ever worked in person. I am not sure if maybe there are some older models that go red for the reasons you mention though.
Well, you know what they say. Whatever doesn't kill you...
... Must not be an MD-11.

acmx

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:11 am

Like others have said it’s the door unsafe lights. They come on when the doors cycle. For wheel well illumination, there are separate lights with white light.

wjcandee

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:27 am

This is all very-interesting! Thanks for all these knowledgeable responses. (Even though I wasn't the initial questioner, it's a great thing about a.net to get the info from those who actually know.)

Those are bright red lights, so I guess the ground crew can't miss them if they come on when the aircraft is on the ground. I guess the message is "RUN!" Presumably, the birds don't care.

fr8mech

Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:40 am

wjcandee wrote:
Those are bright red lights, so I guess the ground crew can't miss them if they come on when the aircraft is on the ground. I guess the message is "RUN!" Presumably, the birds don't care.

Not quite "RUN", but more like "Be Aware".

I don't know a thing about the doors on the B777, but the B757 doors move very slowly in comparison to the B767. In fact, on the B767, the door, when closed, acts as an uplock to the landing gear. The doors on a B767 move very quickly and close "firmly". Any warning or caution light in the wheel well would be hardly worth the effort.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away, or may not come at all.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

ojjunior
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:51 pm

Excellent.
Thanks folks.
That's why I am on this forum.