Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kearnet
Topic Author

Flight school housing in Mesa, AZ, ATP?

Sun May 02, 2021 4:57 pm

The apartment complex where I live in Mesa, AZ (Stone Canyon) has several units used by a flight school in the area to house students.

There seems to be a good number of students here, maybe as many as 30 at any one time. They seem to be from all over the world.

I've been curious for a while about what flight school it is. Doing some initial research I'm suspecting it's ATP at IWA. However, according to the ATP website, they house their students at a complex about a mile away from me (San Montego).

Is it a different flight school and if so which one? I'm also curious if anyone her is a neighbor?

MaxTrimm

Re: Flight school housing in Mesa, AZ, ATP?

Sun May 02, 2021 5:20 pm

All over the world I’d guess Oxford Aviation Academy based out of Falcon Field. They have a very diverse student pilot program and have contracts with several global airlines to train in the Valley.

OOSFS

Sun May 02, 2021 5:55 pm

The students in Stone Canyon right now are the ones from CAE Oxford Aviation Academy. CAE trains their students at Falcon Field (KFFZ) where they do their Single Engine VFR and IFR training, also some Multi Engine training is done. They have a lot of European students from Belgium, France, the UK and other nationalities as well. Although they train to get an EASA license, most of the practical flight training is done out of the USA, in FFZ. The last part of the training, multi engine IFR and the MCC, is done in Europe (Oxford/Antwerp). Apart from that, they also do FAA ATPL training and others.

In the past CAE and Oxford were different schools. CAE trained at the Sabena Airline Training Centre in Falcon (which they took over from the purchase of the Belgian Sabena Flight Academy. In the past SFA was at Scottsdale, but then moved to FFZ), Oxford trained at Goodyear. After the merger of CAE Global and Oxford they decided it would be best to merge the 2 centers in Phoenix and continue out of Falcon.

I went through the flight training with CAE myself back in 2013, however we didn't stay at Stone Canyon, but at Serena Shores, a block further away on Baseline, near Val Vista. I really had a great time over there, would love to go back! Miss AZ!

kearnet
Topic Author

Wed May 05, 2021 6:54 pm

OOSFS wrote:
The students in Stone Canyon right now are the ones from CAE Oxford Aviation Academy. CAE trains their students at Falcon Field (KFFZ) where they do their Single Engine VFR and IFR training, also some Multi Engine training is done. They have a lot of European students from Belgium, France, the UK and other nationalities as well. Although they train to get an EASA license, most of the practical flight training is done out of the USA, in FFZ. The last part of the training, multi engine IFR and the MCC, is done in Europe (Oxford/Antwerp). Apart from that, they also do FAA ATPL training and others.

In the past CAE and Oxford were different schools. CAE trained at the Sabena Airline Training Centre in Falcon (which they took over from the purchase of the Belgian Sabena Flight Academy. In the past SFA was at Scottsdale, but then moved to FFZ), Oxford trained at Goodyear. After the merger of CAE Global and Oxford they decided it would be best to merge the 2 centers in Phoenix and continue out of Falcon.

I went through the flight training with CAE myself back in 2013, however we didn't stay at Stone Canyon, but at Serena Shores, a block further away on Baseline, near Val Vista. I really had a great time over there, would love to go back! Miss AZ!

Thanks for the info!

I know LH has their training over at GYR and I couldn't imagine they were being bussed all the way over there everyday.

johns624

Thu May 06, 2021 1:19 am

Couldn't you just ask one of the students?

m007j

Thu May 06, 2021 2:18 am

kearnet wrote:
OOSFS wrote:

Thanks for the info!

I know LH has their training over at GYR and I couldn't imagine they were being bussed all the way over there everyday.

The cadets at Stone Canyon are a mix of EASA (mainly EasyJet) and Aeromexico. There are a few US cadets sprinkled in with them and depending on how many more AirAsia cadets come in, some of them may be sent there.