Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Post retirement…options

Mon May 24, 2021 12:02 pm

Posting this in Tech/Ops as professionals are out here.

Just needed some advice.
Post retirement with 35yrs management experience, Licenced on A&P and Experience over 40 yrs.
What are the job opportunities for a retired guy after 60yrs age.

Also what courses can one attend to qualify for an Airport management job.

Keenly awaiting your advice.

fr8mech

Re: Post retirement…options

Mon May 24, 2021 3:14 pm

At my planned retirement date(7’ish years from now), I will have 42 years in aircraft maintenance, 30 of those as management, and 38 years with the same employer.

When I retire, the only time I will go to an airport will be to travel. The only aircraft I will touch, will be those that I travel on. I’ve no desire to continue to work in the industry. If I did, I would not retire.

Since, I’m 5 years older than my wife, I will find another job. My wife tells me she’ll give me 6 months. What will I do? No idea, but I can assure you, it will have nothing to do with aviation. Not because I dislike it, but because, regardless of job, there is pressure. No job in aviation exists without some kind of time or budgetary constraints, that makes the job more stressful.

I’ll be retired...the most stress I want to deal with is whether or not I should wear socks with my sandals. By the way, the answer here is almost always ‘no’, but suspect I will continue to ask the question.

Now, to answer your question with a slew of questions.

Where are you and what is the job market like in the fields that interest you?

What exactly do you want to do in airport management? As an A&P, I really don’t know how much of your skill set is transferable.

How much time and money do you want to invest in your education?

What does your family...if you have immediate family...think about you “retiring” to a new job?

I get that you want to do something. You may need to, financially or mentally. But, think hard if you want to jump back into a stressful job or career at a time when you should be enjoying the fruits of your labor.

My 2 cents.

fr8mech

Mon May 24, 2021 7:31 pm

Hey Hawk, I don’t mean to throw a wet blanket on your plans. If you want to continue to work in the industry, more power to you.

It’s just that I’ve seen quite a few of my former colleagues retire, go on to work as consultants or contractors or even go to other airlines to do the same job, and then quit within a couple of years. Then, they really start retirement.

I’m my way if thinking, those guys just lost out on a couple of years of retirement.

Again, if your finances dictate you need to work, then go for it, but you will have to factor in the additional costs to getting where you want to be.

Dalmd88

Mon May 24, 2021 8:43 pm

I'm in the same age group. My plan is very much like fr8mech.

When my window to retire opens in 7-8 years I'm out if it make financial sense. My wife will still be working. We plan on moving to a more retirement friendly area where she can still work remotely and I can do what ever. I do not intend on having a full time job. Part time at a golf course sound good to me. My Uncle does that. He fixes lawn care equipment a couple of days a week.

Everyone is different. I've worked around a lot of guys that worked as AMT's into their late 70's. Most I figure had nothing else to do. They could still mostly do the job, and got payed rather well. I don't plan on being one of those guys.

mikeinatlanta

Sat May 29, 2021 11:50 pm

60 with 42 years in the industry. There is no better job in aviation than what I do, so like fr8mech when I retire I'm done in aviation.

Not trying to beat up the OP, but I don't understand how someone could be 7 years from retiring and not already know where in aviation you want to go, what training you would need, and why you wouldn't already be moving in that direction. This is especially true for someone already in management. That said, first thing I would do is remove any social media posting showing less than high level of knowledge of the industry and clear direction of where you want to be within it.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:00 pm

fr8mech wrote:
N

Now, to answer your question with a slew of questions.

Where are you and what is the job market like in the fields that interest you?

What exactly do you want to do in airport management? As an A&P, I really don’t know how much of your skill set is transferable.

How much time and money do you want to invest in your education?

What does your family...if you have immediate family...think about you “retiring” to a new job?

I get that you want to do something. You may need to, financially or mentally. But, think hard if you want to jump back into a stressful job or career at a time when you should be enjoying the fruits of your labor.

My 2 cents.

To answer your questions
Location is Mumbai west coast of India
Job market is tough, worse since covid 19 struck.
Lucky to be in a freighter airline so profits continue.
I have a BBA and MBA in Aviation Management too
I was thinking of moving indoors ie from Maintenance to Airports.
I can invest time in studies but it would have to be alongside work
Family suggests to start a business venture post retirement
Looking for a less stressed out job would be great post retirement especially after so many stressfull years in Aviation maintenance till date.

I feel I can do a great job in Airports management or Aviation Trainings.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:01 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Hey Hawk, I don’t mean to throw a wet blanket on your plans. If you want to continue to work in the industry, more power to you.

It’s just that I’ve seen quite a few of my former colleagues retire, go on to work as consultants or contractors or even go to other airlines to do the same job, and then quit within a couple of years. Then, they really start retirement.

I’m my way if thinking, those guys just lost out on a couple of years of retirement.

Again, if your finances dictate you need to work, then go for it, but you will have to factor in the additional costs to getting where you want to be.

I just cant imagine doing nothing after retirement.
I just love this Industry too much to let go

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:04 pm

Seems most guys after retiring from Aviation dont want to get back.
My thinking is a bit different.
Retirement thoughts get me to think a lot and with 8 yrs to go, I would love to be in the Industry in some area always.

EasternSon

Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:58 pm

Hawk, with your knowledge of aircraft and systems, I would go apply for a technical buyer job with an airline. You'd fill the role perfectly. A huge part of repair buying is actually knowing what part of the component causes the failures, and making sure your vendors address those problems during the repairs.

fr8mech

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:56 pm

HAWK21M wrote:
Seems most guys after retiring from Aviation dont want to get back.
My thinking is a bit different.
Retirement thoughts get me to think a lot and with 8 yrs to go, I would love to be in the Industry in some area always.

You’re right; while I love aviation and wouldn’t choose another career if I had to do it again, I don’t want to spend my 60’s and 70’s working in the high stress environment that any job in aviation entails.

I will work, but it will be in a low stress, easy going job. I keep telling the wife that I’ll become a Home Depot greeter. You know, the guy that stands at the door, offers a shopping cart and directs wayward DIY’ers to the proper aisle.

Realistically, what ever I do will be low-speed, low-impact and low-stress. What will that be? I’m not sure yet. But, I can assure you, an airplane full of passengers or cargo departing will not rely on me getting my shit together.

shamrock137

Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:28 am

HAWK21M wrote:

What sort of salary/job level are you looking for? Do you want to keep working full time in a professional role with a high salary or are you thinking something part time with a lower salary, just to keep busy? I don't know what the general aviation market is like in India, but I know quite a few retired airline people who went to work in GA. I've worked alongside a few retired people who take jobs such as maintenance worker at a small general aviation airport, mowing grass, fixing broken lights, greeting pilots things like that, or maintenance guys who have gone to work in smaller shops, fixing Pipers, Cessnas planes like hat. Can be quite a change for someone coming from the airlines though.

golfradio

Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:38 pm

Hey Mel, how do you feel about teaching? I personally would love to teach post retirement. Teachers with real industry experience make a huge difference in the quality of education.

Nicoeddf

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:56 pm

golfradio wrote:
Hey Mel, how do you feel about teaching? I personally would love to teach post retirement. Teachers with real industry experience make a huge difference in the quality of education.

I disagree. Seen too many teachers of the old generation who really have never made their move out of the 80s. No thanks.

fr8mech

Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:44 pm

golfradio wrote:

I was thinking about that. There is a school nearby that I could probably teach some A&P classes. But,

Nicoeddf wrote:
I disagree. Seen too many teachers of the old generation who really have never made their move out of the 80s. No thanks.

While I’ve kept up on the new technologies and their integration into aerospace, truth is, at retirement, I will have been in management for about 25 years. No hands on with the aircraft in that time.

Oh, I can certainly manage FAR’s and theory, but when the topics turn to the very modern, I’m probably not your guy. My current job in Technical Services and Maintenance Control demand that I keep up with the technology, but without hands-on, practical experience, I couldn’t provide much more enlightenment than the book would.

Then again, have Part 65 and Part 147 really changed in a significant manner in the last 30 years?

DL_Mech

Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:27 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Oh, I can certainly manage FAR’s and theory, but when the topics turn to the very modern, I’m probably not your guy. My current job in Technical Services and Maintenance Control demand that I keep up with the technology, but without hands-on, practical experience, I couldn’t provide much more enlightenment than the book would.

I'm glad that I was able to work on some 1st Gen. Jets (B707, B727, DC-9), Modern Stuff (A320/330, B777, MD-11) and State of the Art (A220,A350) in my career.

The B777 was an example of a plane that was somewhat different for the pilots, but vastly different for Maintenance. Once you mastered the Maintenance Access Terminal, you were good to go.

These new state of the art jets have E/E bays that look like small computer server farms and require technicians to go deep into a menu driven world. Need to jack the airplane and kill pitot heat? Make sure you go through all of the menus and pull the physical + virtual circuit breakers (in the proper order - trust me). I am sure it is just a learning curve and I would've caught on. Hands on experience is key. From what I have seen, the pilot will be replaced long before the grease monkey AMT.

Nicoeddf

Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:51 am

fr8mech wrote:
Nicoeddf wrote:

While I’ve kept up on the new technologies and their integration into aerospace, truth is, at retirement, I will have been in management for about 25 years. No hands on with the aircraft in that time.

Then again, have Part 65 and Part 147 really changed in a significant manner in the last 30 years?

I have great respect for your openness and honesty with regards to where you think you can add value and where not.

The experience I made at the outfit I am working for more than a decade now is, that people went into full time training jobs. While that may be fine for the first 2-5 years, after that the hands-on experience, be it on the aircraft itself or in management roles, will fade. And they will tell the same stories of the old days over and over again without feedback loop that the world has moved on. In the hangar, in management, everywhere, really.

Thats why I am a proponent of part time trainers. Work your shift or two in the hanger, or fly your tour or two on the line, make your management duties or two for half the month and spend the other half teaching from real life and from colleague to colleague.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:07 am

EasternSon wrote:
Hawk, with your knowledge of aircraft and systems, I would go apply for a technical buyer job with an airline. You'd fill the role perfectly. A huge part of repair buying is actually knowing what part of the component causes the failures, and making sure your vendors address those problems during the repairs.

That was an option however considering the lack of demand and excess supply options it might not just be feasable due more major players around

I was thinking AIRPORTS Management though

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:09 am

fr8mech wrote:
HAWK21M wrote:
I will work, but it will be in a low stress, easy going job. I keep telling the wife that I’ll become a Home Depot greeter. You know, the guy that stands at the door, offers a shopping cart and directs wayward DIY’ers to the proper aisle.

Realistically, what ever I do will be low-speed, low-impact and low-stress. What will that be? I’m not sure yet. But, I can assure you, an airplane full of passengers or cargo departing will not rely on me getting my shit together.

Low Stress is welcome especially with a more Indoor location too :)
A bit tired of the outdoor weather at work though

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:12 am

shamrock137 wrote:
HAWK21M wrote:

What sort of salary/job level are you looking for? Do you want to keep working full time in a professional role with a high salary or are you thinking something part time with a lower salary, just to keep busy? I don't know what the general aviation market is like in India, but I know quite a few retired airline people who went to work in GA. I've worked alongside a few retired people who take jobs such as maintenance worker at a small general aviation airport, mowing grass, fixing broken lights, greeting pilots things like that, or maintenance guys who have gone to work in smaller shops, fixing Pipers, Cessnas planes like hat. Can be quite a change for someone coming from the airlines though.

I was thinking Def not Aircraft Maintenance post retirement but a more Indoor , less stressfull job.
I know many folks who worked post retirement on contract jobs.
But personally for me its Airports Management.I believe Im good in Management & although I know the Money offered might be 60-70% less, but as long as
Im enjoying that job & having a bit of free time thats the best option.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:14 am

golfradio wrote:

Yes Teaching or Trainings is an Option I have, Im quite good at Using AV devices , with a little study & practice I could do better.
As long as it does not involve a lot of travel out of the city thats an option I would go for.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:16 am

Nicoeddf wrote:

The experience I made at the outfit I am working for more than a decade now is, that people went into full time training jobs. While that may be fine for the first 2-5 years, after that the hands-on experience, be it on the aircraft itself or in management roles, will fade. And they will tell the same stories of the old days over and over again without feedback loop that the world has moved on. In the hangar, in management, everywhere, really.

Thats why I am a proponent of part time trainers. Work your shift or two in the hanger, or fly your tour or two on the line, make your management duties or two for half the month and spend the other half teaching from real life and from colleague to colleague.

Its upto the Trainer to adapt new methods & add a difference to the classes each time & this can be done.

Thaide

Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:08 pm

I'm not sure that after 60 you have a lot of chances to work as a pilot. I only ask you not to take offense at me. It seems to me that at this age it is better to do something more relaxed. If you want something more complicated, go for IT. Perhaps you did well in school? Come to Edu Birdie and help other students in need. In fact, there are many options. Of course, it's not a fact that you can get big money for this, but, at a minimum, you will not get bored with idleness.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:39 am

Thaide wrote:
I'm not sure that after 60 you have a lot of chances to work as a pilot. I only ask you not to take offense at me. It seems to me that at this age it is better to do something more relaxed. If you want something more complicated, go for IT. Perhaps you did well in school? Come to Edu Birdie and help other students in need. In fact, there are many options. Of course, it's not a fact that you can get big money for this, but, at a minimum, you will not get bored with idleness.

Ive been trained in Aircraft Maintenance & Management all these years so will prefer in these roles or explore Safety & Trainings as option.
No worry to take offense as Im just looking for Advice from people much smarter than me.