Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kiowa
Topic Author

Age 67 for pilots

Sun May 30, 2021 3:04 pm

I have heard discussion about the FAA changing the mandatory retirement age for pilots to 67 in the US. I know other countries have higher age limits as well. Is this a good idea? What are the positions of ALPA, American's union, SWAPA, Teamsters? Is this a good idea? Is the experience value better than the potential health issues?

SWADawg

Re: Age 67 for pilots

Sun May 30, 2021 3:12 pm

There are no current plans that I’ve heard of for changing the retirement age to 67. I believe there were a few years ago, but it never went anywhere. As far as I know there is no support from ALPA or any other Pilot’s Union to change the retirement age either.

Sun May 30, 2021 5:16 pm

It's a bad idea. Just kicks the can down the road and creates less opportunities for younger pilots, while older ones stagnate at the highest paid positions.

CosmicCruiser

Mon May 31, 2021 11:42 am

Varsity1 wrote:
It's a bad idea. Just kicks the can down the road and creates less opportunities for younger pilots, while older ones stagnate at the highest paid positions.

that's a very sensitive statement and I guess you are a younger low seniority crewmember.

fr8mech

Mon May 31, 2021 11:55 am

Varsity1 wrote:

Your statement indicates that the responsibility for “creating opportunities” falls on:
-older pilots
-the government

Neither is true.

Opportunities are created when the industry is safe, healthy and growing.

CosmicCruiser

Mon May 31, 2021 12:15 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Your statement indicates that the responsibility for “creating opportunities” falls on:
-older pilots
-the government

Neither is true.

Opportunities are created when the industry is safe, healthy and growing.

Exactly fr8mech! I won't go into the experiences I had when I stayed to 65 with two different crews. You would have thought I was a scab.

Boeing757100

Mon May 31, 2021 12:31 pm

I believe maybe they were discussing this to address the pilot shortage problem in some markets. It was probably chopped out now because we have a surplus rather than shortage sadly. :(