Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ctidler
Topic Author

GPA for the Airlines

Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:32 pm

Hello, I'm new to this forum and had a quick question I was curious if anyone had comments on. I am in my last year of college to get my bachelor's degree and during COVID my GPA dropped from a 4.0 to a 3.225 this is less than stellar and I was curious if this would be disqualifying to the major airlines? I'm also a CFI/II/MEI and have accrued 800 hours teaching for two separate flight schools while in college I'll probably be to airline minimums shortly after my 21 birthday. I was wondering if these factors could help make up for the lower GPA? Thanks for any input and happy skies!

Woodreau

Re: GPA for the Airlines

Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:15 am

Well i had a 0.5 GPA semester during my junior year….

So I think you are okay..

All they care about is: Do you have 1500 hours? Do you have an ATP?

There is one airline where your GPA may matter, but i think they;re more concerned if you took more than 4 years to complete a 4 year degree.

e38

Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:32 am

ctidler, your GPA is fine.

Although GPA is important, airlines are more interested in your hours, flight experience, leadership potential, personality—ability to work with others—and work ethic. They will rely heavily on recommendations from supervisors and/or managers for the latter two items. Also, some companies research social media, so be careful what you post on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.

One recommendation I have for you based upon reading your post: if you conduct written correspondence with a potential employer, please pay much closer attention to punctuation and proper sentence construction.

e38

Snuffaluffagus

Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:13 pm

In three airline interviews, I have never had my GPA brought up. I graduated college with a 3.15 and no one cared, just wanted flight experience, your personality is easy to get along with, etc.

Strebav8or

Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:07 pm

ctidler, remember the following:
C's get degrees, and the doctor who is last in his class is still called "doctor"

eta unknown

Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:08 pm

Nobody gives a damn about your GPA- if they do, it's part of a broader culling exercise where something else would probably knock you (and others) out of contention. As a former hiring manager I was more interested in where you went to school and how long did it take you to graduate?

VMCA787

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:37 pm

Many years ago, I was involved in pilot hiring at a certain airline that flew with red tails. There were several line pilots who were involved in the process. An applicant's GPA never came up in an interview or discussion afterwards at the daily screening meeting. The only thing that mattered was if there was a degree or not.

tb727

Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:28 am

The way things are going you may not even need a degree to get a job at an airline if hiring picks up, mine doesn't require one.

Starlionblue

Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:46 am

tb727 wrote:
The way things are going you may not even need a degree to get a job at an airline if hiring picks up, mine doesn't require one.

My airline used to require one of:
- Any degree.
- High School Diploma with certain minimum requirements in Maths and Science.
- A pass in all EASA ATPL subjects.

As you say, though, requirements change from time to time. A requirement for degree or other educational minimum is there to a) make selection simpler for recruiting and b) ensure the candidate has the ability to focus long term on a goal.

Once you're in the interview process, it's all about aptitude and personality.