Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyingJhawk
Topic Author

All Cabin Lights on and Window Shades Opened At Night

Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:45 pm

I spend a lot of time near LAX and I have noticed that several Asian carriers when landing or taking off have the cabin lights on and all the window shaded open when landing and taking off. Not all of them but I certainly have see a few Asiana and China Airlines and maybe even EVA flights. It makes for a nice photo, but what is the purpose and logic of doing this?

Starlionblue

Re: All Cabin Lights on and Window Shades Opened At Night

Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:23 am

Many Asian carriers announce to pax that they need to leave shades open when taking off and landing. AFAIK this is for awareness of the outside situation, and so that pax eyes get used to light levels in case there is an emergency.

Whether the measure actually increases safety or not, I don't know.

FlyingJhawk
Topic Author

Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:52 am

Starlionblue wrote:
Many Asian carriers announce to pax that they need to leave shades open when taking off and landing. AFAIK this is for awareness of the outside situation, and so that pax eyes get used to light levels in case there is an emergency.

Whether the measure actually increases safety or not, I don't know.

Interesting. If it is at night all those bright lights make knowing the situation outside a lot harder. But hey whatever they think works....

e38

Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:35 am

FlyingJhawk wrote:
I have noticed that several Asian carriers when landing or taking off have the cabin lights on and all the window shaded open when landing and taking off. What is the purpose and logic of doing this?

FlyingJhawk, at the company at which I work, in the United States, there is not a requirement to open the window shades during takeoff and landing. (Personally, I think they SHOULD be open during takeoff and landing so passengers are aware of outside conditions should the need arise for an evacuation, but that is not my call).

However, it IS company policy that cabin lights be turned off during night takeoff and landing operations. The idea is to allow passengers' eyes to adjust to low-light conditions should a situation occur in which all electrical power is lost, cabin lighting transfers to emergency lighting, or cabin visibility is reduced, i.e. smoke. It wasn't always company policy. This changed several years ago and I think this is a very appropriate procedure for night operations.

For takeoff, the flight attendants turn cabin lights off when advised by the pilots to "prepare for takeoff," (approximately 3 minutes prior to takeoff). For landing, we advise the cabin crew to prepare for landing as the aircraft descends through 10,000 feet above field elevation, and once the attendants have checked to ensure all the pax are seated and seat belts fastened, and when they take their jump seats, the cabin lights are extinguished, until parked at the gate.

With regard to your question, I'm not sure what the benefit would be of having cabin lights illuminated during night takeoff and landing. Personally, I prefer lights to be dimmed or turned off to allow my eyes to adjust to low-light conditions should an emergency occur.

e38

a320fan

Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:49 am

Every Australian, Asian and European airline I’ve flown has required the window shades to be open during takeoff and landing and the crew will walk around and enforce it during their final cabin checks along with tray tables stowed, seats upright, seatbelts fastened and hand luggage under the seat in front.

Cabin lights are usually dimmed or turned off, even on many daytime flights domestically in Australia.

N1120A

Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:44 am

Window shades open on takeoff and landing is demonstrably safer and the norm in most of the world. United has adopted this, as have some US regionals. It is a good policy.

Lights should be turned down at night for the reasons mentioned - adjustment of the eyes.

e38

Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:53 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
this is for awareness of the outside situation, and so that pax eyes get used to light levels in case there is an emergency.

I’m not sure I understand the logic here.

How is it that keeping the cabin lights illuminated at night during takeoff and landing helps passengers adjust their eyes to light levels in an emergency situation? I have generally thought that cabin lighting would be reduced in an emergency.

The only advantage I can think of for keeping cabin lights on during takeoff and landing at night would be to allow passengers better awareness of the location of exits. However, on many aircraft—at least Airbus A320 series—exit signs are illuminated during takeoff and landing.

I still think keeping cabin lights dim or off at night is a better safety practice.

e38

Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:19 pm

I have made the same observation of the Asian carriers. While they adhere to their standard procedure, it is far from the safest. Window shades should be open for ground operation, takeoff and landing in case there is a need to evacuate. Passengers and crew need to be able to assess what is outside prior to directing evacuation out of each exit. Cabin lights on full bright only makes it more difficult for anyone to see if illumination is reduced to only emergency lights or no lights at all. Certainly people stumbling out of an aircraft in to full darkness outside will be compromised if they were in bright light just prior to their exiting. But, some companies think one size fits all and do not allow for any variations in procedure. Some governmental authorities have the same narrow mindset.

FARmd90

Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:38 pm

Ive noticed American and their regional partners, seem to leave the cabin lights on for takeoff and landing now as well both day and night flights, and I know it’s not mood lighting.

I’ve also been on Allegiant and they’ve left the window lights on for the whole flight, but that might be random.

HAWK21M

Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:53 am

It makes sense to leave the windows open and lights dimmed so pax can adjust in an emergency situation causing the lights to go off and the outside area will be visible too

B-787

Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:09 pm

Currently you see that happening because many of those flights are still only flying cargo with no pax on board. I've noticed the same thing.

Avgeek21

Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:47 am

Remember it takes the eyes 30 seconds to adjust from light to darkness and 3 seconds from darkness to normal brightness. You don’t have the luxury of 30 seconds to save your life.