Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Golf7GTI
Topic Author

Carry on baggage selecting at gate

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:29 am

Some time ago I flew Air France CDG-MUN on an A318. I had a suitcase as carry on. I was running late so I arrived as latest at the gate.

At the gate I saw a gate agent walking through the line and, for me it looked like at random, she gave labels to some folks to check in carry on baggage. I also got one and wasn't too happy about it because I had to wait 20 minutes at the baggage collection.

But now, whose baggage do they select?

The groups with carry on who will sit togheter and use all bin space, the biggest carry on, latest in line, any insights?

Starlionblue

Re: Carry on baggage selecting at gate

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:53 am

Was it a full load of pax?

Maybe there wasn't enough room on board and the gate agent did indeed choose bags at random.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Golf7GTI
Topic Author

Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:52 am

Starlionblue wrote:

Maybe there wasn't enough room on board and the gate agent did indeed choose bags at random.

Yes, 100% full.

I am trying to find out why my suitcase got chosen, as others didn't. Hoping to avoid check in next time. ;-)

Starlionblue

Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:00 am

Golf7GTI wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Yes, 100% full.

I am trying to find out why my suitcase got chosen, as others didn't. Hoping to avoid check in next time. ;-)

Was your suitcase the maximum carry-on size? And did you have two pieces total?

Again though, could just have been random.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

nws2002

Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:52 pm

Likely looking for the larger rolling bags that have trouble fitting at the end of boarding. You can usually find a space to stuff in a duffle bag or other soft bag, but a rolling bag takes up a set amount of space.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:59 pm

If I carryon, the bag is crushable, no wheels, no frame. Crushable, no wheels, no frame, always goes on. Give the agent a heavy, wheeled bag with a frame, he or she is tagging it. Hartmann made the perfect one, but discontinued in the face everyone wanting wheels. Besides, it’s faster without wheels, grab and go, no carrying the weight running up and down escalators, easy fitting on the trams.

If I’m going home, I’ll gate check—no charge, no hassles on the connections, usually short wait at claim or, if misconnected, they deliver the bag to my house.

r6russian

Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:16 pm

carry a laptop in your carryon. Then you can just say i got li-ion batteries in there and no gate agent in their right mind will put li-ion in a cargo hold

Drucocu

Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:35 pm

r6russian wrote:
carry a laptop in your carryon. Then you can just say i got li-ion batteries in there and no gate agent in their right mind will put li-ion in a cargo hold

Sometimes ground staff will have you take out everything containing lithium batteries in order to check your bag, especially if travelling with a personal item as well in which said items could fit. Depends on airline policy.

26point2

Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:16 pm

I travel for a living (corporate pilot) and long ago learned that it’s much easier to use a medium size duffle bag as luggage over a rolling bag. Old school? Sure. But it has advantages. My duffle never gets pulled from airline carry-on even on the small RJs. When the trend went toward rolling bags 30 years ago I stayed with my tried and true duffle.

It’s my opinion that rolling bags encourage overpacking. If I have to actually carry the bag through the airport I will pack it lightly. Why do we need to carry so much stuff with us? 5 day’s worth of clothes is plenty and it will easily fit into a duffle...even in winter. Most hotels offer in house coin laundry facilities. 30 years and I haven’t yet wished I had a rolling bag.

As a side note adding wheels to luggage has made us lazy. I have to sometimes lift enormous pieces of luggage into the Global Express baggage compartment (6’ from ground level) often weighing 50 pounds. The bags without wheels are typically lighter. We didn’t have this issue when we had to actually carry the luggage.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:22 pm

26point2 wrote:
I travel for a living (corporate pilot) and long ago learned that it’s much easier to use a medium size duffle bag as luggage over a rolling bag. Old school? Sure. But it has advantages. My duffle never gets pulled from airline carry-on even on the small RJs. When the trend went toward rolling bags 30 years ago I stayed with my tried and true duffle.

It’s my opinion that rolling bags encourage overpacking. If I have to actually carry the bag through the airport I will pack it lightly. Why do we need to carry so much stuff with us? 5 day’s worth of clothes is plenty and it will easily fit into a duffle...even in winter. Most hotels offer in house coin laundry facilities. 30 years and I haven’t yet wished I had a rolling bag.

As a side note adding wheels to luggage has made us lazy. I have to sometimes lift enormous pieces of luggage into the Global Express baggage compartment (6’ from ground level) often weighing 50 pounds. The bags without wheels are typically lighter. We didn’t have this issue when we had to actually carry the luggage.

Wait til you’re on the G7500–another 9”. I agree, I flew corporate, often two weeks, and always packed the same in a carryon roller board. Known short trips now and a small Hartmann crushable carryon works fine up TOA week.

Starlionblue

Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:34 am

Packing light is a skill that takes practice. I pack light whichever bag I bring. I could pack a duffle bag but the wheelie spinner is just more comfortable. I can still easily lift it with one hand. The only time I need something bigger than a carry-on is for snowboarding trips.

I do take your point about a duffle forcing you to pack light, but I'd still rather take my spinner. ;)

On the other end of the spectrum, I have friends whose packing habits baffle me. One large suitcase, one carry-on, and a backpack, for five nights. When I ask they say that they "don't know what they will need".

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:02 pm

I watched a family with those spinners bombard the TSA checkpoint recently. Mom and Dad trying to corral the three little ones let of their bags, the kids let go of their’s to pay attention to parents. Soon, five spinners crashing thru the checkpoint. Stopped the lines, took the inspectors to fix things. Hilarity and angry comments ensued. Spawn of the Devil, they are.

IAHFLYR

Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:22 pm

I'll stand up for the roll-a-board and say as a airline passenger with almost two million miles under my belt I've never had my roll-a-board gate checked except on smaller RJ's, but you have to expect to happen as there is simply no overhead it will fit into. I don't overpack the bag even for a five day trip into winter weather so there is no cramming into the bins.

What I don't like seeing is the 5' small frame person who has overpacked their roll-a-board and you can tell as it is bursting at the seams weighing in almost as much as the person as it really gives us roll-a-board folks a bad rap. Then they get to their row only to look for someone to hoist that beast into the overhead bin, to that end I say check the darn thing at the check-in counter.

I get the duffle bag concept though having that over my shoulder along with a laptop in a backpack doesn't appeal to me as I wander about in the airport even being in very good physical condition. To each their own.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

N1120A

Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:17 pm

Gate checking of rollers, particularly towards the end of boarding, got very common in the US before COVID, especially before Basic Economy gates were implemented. The issue isn't weight, but volume in the overheads.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

DL_Mech

Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:59 am

IAHFLYR wrote:
I'll stand up for the roll-a-board and say as a airline passenger with almost two million miles under my belt I've never had my roll-a-board gate checked except on smaller RJ's, but you have to expect to happen as there is simply no overhead it will fit into.

I remember flying Virgin Atlantic in the mid 90s (when the roll a board was still new) watching them enforce a no wheeled baggage as carry on policy. I don’t know if it was official policy, but it was mostly US flyers that had to check their bags. Lots of pissed off people. I had a bag that was as large as a roll a board suitcase, but it had a shoulder strap and no wheels. They never did bat an eye at my carry on.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Former AMT on A220,A310,A319/20/21,A330,A350,B707,B717,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,
MD-80/90,MD-11

Starlionblue

Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:09 am

DL_Mech wrote:
IAHFLYR wrote:
I'll stand up for the roll-a-board and say as a airline passenger with almost two million miles under my belt I've never had my roll-a-board gate checked except on smaller RJ's, but you have to expect to happen as there is simply no overhead it will fit into.

I remember flying Virgin Atlantic in the mid 90s (when the roll a board was still new) watching them enforce a no wheeled baggage as carry on policy. I don’t know if it was official policy, but it was mostly US flyers that had to check their bags. Lots of pissed off people. I had a bag that was as large as a roll a board suitcase, but it had a shoulder strap and no wheels. They never bat an eye at my carry on.

Am I remembering correctly that US carriers used to allow somewhat larger carryons than European ones? So you'd get people with "US standard" carryons that would then not be permitted.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I watched a family with those spinners bombard the TSA checkpoint recently. Mom and Dad trying to corral the three little ones let of their bags, the kids let go of their’s to pay attention to parents. Soon, five spinners crashing thru the checkpoint. Stopped the lines, took the inspectors to fix things. Hilarity and angry comments ensued. Spawn of the Devil, they are.

This sounds like more of a "parenting organisation" issue than a luggage issue. ;)

I've seen plenty of solo travellers clogging up the security line despite passing half a dozen large and clear instructional signs, and after being given clear verbal instructions from staff.

It's simple: Your pockets need to be empty. BEFORE you get to the machine, put it all in your jacket pockets or your bag. I do put some stuff in the tray, but I've had years of frequent practice.

Or do it like the line-cloggers: Get to the conveyor. Proceed to empty pockets then. Pass your two full trays and two bags through the machine. Get told (again) to take your laptop and iPad out. Pass through the portal. Be asked if you've really emptied your pockets. Suddenly remember you had your phone in the front pocket of your jeans.

I really do think that as soon as they enter an airport, 50% of people lose their ability to think rationally. ;)

But I digress.

N1120A

Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:23 am

Starlionblue wrote:
DL_Mech wrote:
IAHFLYR wrote:

I remember flying Virgin Atlantic in the mid 90s (when the roll a board was still new) watching them enforce a no wheeled baggage as carry on policy. I don’t know if it was official policy, but it was mostly US flyers that had to check their bags. Lots of pissed off people. I had a bag that was as large as a roll a board suitcase, but it had a shoulder strap and no wheels. They never bat an eye at my carry on.

Am I remembering correctly that US carriers used to allow somewhat larger carryons than European ones? So you'd get people with "US standard" carryons that would then not be permitted.

There were slight differences, as there were also slight differences between US carriers, but the bigger issue was that the sizers used were not standardized. Some were actually much smaller than the advertised dimensions.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss