Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Horstroad

Re: Question For the Mechanics: Which Commercial Aircraft Have Been Easiest and Most Difficult For You to Work On?

Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:31 pm

mxguy wrote:
Troubleshooting the PACK's on MD10/11's are always a fun time!

Really? I haven't had many issues with the MD-11. The heat exchanger cracks a lot... but I guess that's a common issue for all aircraft. The 777 has it as well. Sometimes the ACM fails... but I don't recall anything that took some big brains to solve.

celestar345

Re: Question For the Mechanics: Which Commercial Aircraft Have Been Easiest and Most Difficult For You to Work On?

Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:02 am

Horstroad wrote:
but I don't recall anything that took some big brains to solve.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.

When the system fails to operate and no EICAS/ECAM message, that's where the real fun begins....

LMP737

Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:41 am

DL_Mech wrote:

MD wiring is such a mess compared to Airbus, Boeing,etc. I’ve seen better car stereo installations. When Boeing took over the MD-95, they fixed a lot of the wiring installations by adding connectors, plug in relays, insulated terminal strips and general neatness of installation.

]

Both Fedex and UPS would be well served if they were to just rewire all their MD-11. Most of your problems would disappear. Given the longevity of Douglas airframes you could get another twenty years out of them easily. Don't think it will happen though.

fr8mech

Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:05 am

LMP737 wrote:
Both Fedex and UPS would be well served if they were to just rewire all their MD-11. Most of your problems would disappear. Given the longevity of Douglas airframes you could get another twenty years out of them easily. Don't think it will happen though.

Way more problems with the hydraulic lines. Those production swages let go all the time.

m1m2

Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:03 pm

Never worked on a Douglas airplane fr8mech, but I've worked my share of hydraulic leaks. Never met a mechanic yet that had anything good to say about LD4.

LMP737

Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:16 am

fr8mech wrote:

Way more problems with the hydraulic lines. Those production swages let go all the time.

I've spent way more time playing wack-a-mole with the wiring on the MD-11 than I have with failed hydraulic line swages. Not to say I haven't seen it. Murphy's law says the failures will be up in the tail.

On a side note you can tell there were Douglas engineers working on the 787 program by the extensive use of swageing. The difference is the 787 uses ringlock as a swage.

celestar345

Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:38 am

m1m2 wrote:
Never worked on a Douglas airplane fr8mech, but I've worked my share of hydraulic leaks. Never met a mechanic yet that had anything good to say about LD4.

It's fantastic as a torturing tool - going into the stabilizer compartment with a running APU, the LD4 fume will cause an all round burning sensation not only to your skin but eyes and lungs as well... oh and mouth when you need to shout into the walkie talkie...

Horstroad

Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:24 pm

fr8mech wrote:

Replace every failed swage fitting with a Rynglok fitting and it will survive the rest of the aircraft. What an amazing and easy to use system.

celestar345 wrote:
It's fantastic as a torturing tool - going into the stabilizer compartment with a running APU, the LD4 fume will cause an all round burning sensation not only to your skin but eyes and lungs as well... oh and mouth when you need to shout into the walkie talkie...

The stabilizer compartment has its cozy spots... but with the APU running, I can recommend the aft accessory compartment. Of all things I've ever done on the aircraft, the most scary thing was standing just inches between the #2 bleed duct and the APU surge bleed duct with the APU at full blast during a leak check of the aft fuel fire shut off valve with the EGN #2 wet motoring, anticipating a rupture of either of the two bleed ducts at any time. It's hot, extremely loud, and just terrifying

fr8mech

Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:32 am

Horstroad wrote:
Replace every failed swage fitting with a Rynglok fitting and it will survive the rest of the aircraft. What an amazing and easy to use system.

Rynglok is a beautiful thing. Wish we had them when I was actively wrenching. Back then, permaswage was all the rage.

Aircellist

Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:38 pm

Horstroad wrote:
The stabilizer compartment has its cozy spots... but with the APU running, I can recommend the aft accessory compartment. Of all things I've ever done on the aircraft, the most scary thing was standing just inches between the #2 bleed duct and the APU surge bleed duct with the APU at full blast during a leak check of the aft fuel fire shut off valve with the EGN #2 wet motoring, anticipating a rupture of either of the two bleed ducts at any time. It's hot, extremely loud, and just terrifying

Just reading your story is terrifying.

celestar345

Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:34 am

Aircellist wrote:
Just reading your story is terrifying.

It's all in a day's work.

These stories never stop coming in. Back when I was a newbie I was working with my teammate and he was rather unlucky - when we were disconnecting the fuel pressure transducer at engine FMU he got fuel sprayed all over his face, then a week later we were changing the hydraulic pressure transmitter he got skydrol sprayed all over his face... at that point I sworn I won't partner with him if he ever works on the waste system....

fr8mech

Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:53 am

celestar345 wrote:

It's all in a day's work.

These stories never stop coming in. .

I was hunting a leak in the stab compartment of a B747 once; you know, one of those leaks that's there, then not there. I was putting hands on lines and dynamically exercising them, when the intermittent leak became not intermittent anymore. The compartment instantly filled with a Skydrol mist that simultaneously blinded me and choked me. Of course the compartment was slick from the leak, and unbearable hot because we were running the APU Bleed to pressurize the hydraulic system.

Fun times.

twincommander

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:56 am

The 737 has been good to me. The A32X series not so much. E175/190s aren't bad if you know what interface card does what and when. (Novice techs will be firing the parts cannon)
747, 757, 767 aren't bad. MD80s are hit or miss.

The CRJ can get left in the grass as a fire training object.

FlyHappy

Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:40 am

This thread is a fantastic read for us non Pro's.
Thanks you all of your A&P's for sharing!!!

celestar345

Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:29 am

twincommander wrote:
The 737 has been good to me. The A32X series not so much. E175/190s aren't bad if you know what interface card does what and when. (Novice techs will be firing the parts cannon)

I always think for mechanics you are mostly split into groups... once you get the hang of Boeing / Airbus / Embraer and others you will understand about that manufacturer and won't understand about the others.

When some A350 guys came over to support me on a 787 AOG work, I had to take away all the manuals and documents from them and just give them clear instruction on what to do and nothing else...

LMP737

Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:38 am

twincommander wrote:

The nice thing about the MD-80 was that it was simple. Sure, the wing/tail anti-ice could be a pain in the winter time but overall not much to go wrong.

LMP737

Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:46 am

Horstroad wrote:
Really? I haven't had many issues with the MD-11. The heat exchanger cracks a lot... but I guess that's a common issue for all aircraft. The 777 has it as well. Sometimes the ACM fails... but I don't recall anything that took some big brains to solve.

The packs, relatively speaking, seems to be one the less troublesome systems on the -11. Usually a flow control valve or temp sensor will fix what ails you.

twincommander

Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:19 pm

LMP737 wrote:
twincommander wrote:

The nice thing about the MD-80 was that it was simple. Sure, the wing/tail anti-ice could be a pain in the winter time but overall not much to go wrong.

100% agree. I didnt mind the 80s much, except when it was an anti-ice issue in 36 degree rain.
Also, Delta P lights and having to go sump tanks and change filters on a quick turn, only to find out we had no filters...

Balerit

Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:31 pm

DL_Mech wrote:
Anyone have any experience with British built jets? I've heard that Hawker biz jets and the BAC 1-11 were notoriously bad.

The Hawker Siddely 748 was a nightmare as were the B747-200 Super B's with their terrible JT9's, FCU changes, teleflex cable on the engine, centre tank boost pumps or water injection pumps. Best for me were the B737-200 and A300's although the B737 landing gear change was a bitch if you got it wrong. CF6-50 and JT8 were easy too.

Starlionblue

Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:57 pm

Balerit wrote:
DL_Mech wrote:
Anyone have any experience with British built jets? I've heard that Hawker biz jets and the BAC 1-11 were notoriously bad.

The Hawker Siddely 748 was a nightmare as were the B747-200 Super B's with their terrible JT9's, FCU changes, teleflex cable on the engine, centre tank boost pumps or water injection pumps. Best for me were the B737-200 and A300's although the B737 landing gear change was a bitch if you got it wrong. CF6-50 and JT8 were easy too.

What is a "teleflex cable"?

acmx

Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:02 am

Starlionblue wrote:
Balerit wrote:
DL_Mech wrote:

Teleflex is a brand name. We used to call the flex shafts for the thrust reverser teleflex cables on the 747 classics. I think they made the push pull cable for the thrust lever too that went from the pylon to the fuel control but I’ve never heard it called that where I worked. But it could be. They make the same type of cables for boat steering systems.

Starlionblue

Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:09 am

acmx wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
Balerit wrote:

Teleflex is a brand name. We used to call the flex shafts for the thrust reverser teleflex cables on the 747 classics. I think they made the push pull cable for the thrust lever too that went from the pylon to the fuel control but I’ve never heard it called that where I worked. But it could be. They make the same type of cables for boat steering systems.

Cool. Thanks for info!