Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

convair880mfan
Topic Author

Chart of Jetliners with and without wing vortex generators.

Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:58 pm

Whether wing vortex generators are in the initial designs for jetliner wings or added later after wind tunnel tests or other factors, here is a list of airliners with and without wing vortex generators. Some aircraft, like the Boeing 727 lack wing vortex generators but have these placed on the horizontal and vertical stabilizer. Please correct my chart if it is incorrect. I am not sure about the Airbus products or the jetliner wings made by other manufacturers.

JETLINERS WITHOUT WING VORTEX GENERATORS

Douglas DC-8
Douglas DC-9
McDonnell Douglas MD-80
McDonnell Douglas MD-90
McDonnell Douglas DC-10
McDonnell Douglas MD-11

Boeing 727
Boeing 747 [except for the 747-8

Airbus A-300
Airbus A-310
Airbus A-330
Airbus A-340
Airbus A-350
Airbus A-360

JETLINERS WITH WING VORTEX GENERATORS

Convair 880
Convair 990 [?]
Boeing 707
Boeing 720
Boeing 737
Boeing 747-8
Boeing 757
Boeing 767
Boeing 777
Boeing 787

Airbus A-320

DL_Mech

Re: Chart of Jetliners with and without wing vortex generators.

Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:53 pm

The Lockheed TriStar did not have vortex generators installed from the factory. Later tanker conversions done by Marshall of Cambridge added them to the wings.

LH707330

Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:29 pm

Where does the 747-8 have vortex generators? They added nacelle strakes on the engines, but I thought the wing didn't get any.

convair880mfan
Topic Author

Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:57 pm

I see a picture of the wing of "D-ABYA Lufthansa Boeing 747-8 at Los Angeles International Airport" and the vortex generators are near the leading edge of the wing.

dlednicer
Editor

Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:32 am

The DC-9, MD80 and MD90 have a vortilon, which is a vortex generator, below each wing leading edge at roughly midspan.

DC-10s and MD11s have nacelle strakes, which produce a vortex that interacts with the wing flow field. As such, you could count them as wing vortex generators. A lot of other types have them too.

737NGs with winglets also have small vortilons below the outboard wing leading edge, as do Embraer E170/175/190/195.

The 727 has a short fence on the upper surface of the wing leading edge, which could be considered a vortex generator.

737 Initial, Classic, NG and MAX all have wing upper surface vortex generators, but the patterns differ. There are at least two patterns for the NG.

I see VGs on the outboard wing of this A300:

BTW, I think you meant A380, not A360.

bradyj23

Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:13 am

No vortex generators on the CRJ series IIRC.

convair880mfan
Topic Author

Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:49 pm

Sorry that I was not specific enough. My bad.

By "vortex generator" I refer to the fixed vanes or row of vanes on the wings of aircraft usually with a height equal to the local boundary layer on a wing. Such devices usually run spanwise and are used most often to delay flow separation over the wing. They are also thus used to improve control surface effectiveness.

By "vortex generator" I did not mean "wing fences" that are designed to prevent a wing from stalling all at once in certain conditions. And I did not mean a "vortillon" [ VORtex generating pYLON]. Nor did I mean the strakes on engine cowlings. Obviously these can be considered vortex generators too but that was not what I was specifically charting..

My understanding from aerodynamics is that a "vortex generator" is a fixed device or devices attached to a wing or other aircraft surface designed specifically to energize flow over the wing or surface. So my understanding was that there are many devices [genus] that can be fixed to a wing or other surface and that vortex generators are one of those [a species].

I realize that many things fixed to aircraft or engine cowling surfaces can produce vortices, but the chart I made is just for those short, rectangular, triangular or tear drop shaped fixed vanes.

An Airbus pilot has told me that on the Airbus A320 there are vortex generators on the lower surface of the wing designed for a noise abatement purpose but I have no knowledge of this and would welcome information and opinions.

My chart did not include the wonderful Lockheed L-1011 Tristar which a commentator has graciously added to my list.

I guess some aerodynamicists see "vortex generators' as one type of fixed aerodynamic device placed on wings and other surfaces while other aerodynamicists see other fixed devices attached to wings as vortex generators, devices such as wing fences, vortillons and so on. So sorry about the confusion.

I did intend the great Airbus A-380 when I typed A-360. Sorry.

Thanks for those who contributed information on other types of jetliner and for all comments!

zeke

Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:16 am

convair880mfan wrote:
An Airbus pilot has told me that on the Airbus A320 there are vortex generators on the lower surface of the wing designed for a noise abatement purpose but I have no knowledge of this and would welcome information and opinions.

There is a round opening for the fuel tank over pressure on the underside of the wings that made a sound as air passed over it, they attached a sort of vortex generator in front of it to disturb the airflow over it to stop the noise.

Good article with photos on the change http://jdasolutions.aero/blog/will-jetb ... ion-heard/

They are not the same sort of shape as what one may normally find on top of a wing, these are more like a little wing inclined to the airflow that generate two small wingtip vortices.