Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

convair880mfan
Topic Author

MD-11: Two types of outboard flap tracks fairings

Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:12 am

I was Googling "MD-11 wing" and noticed that some window shots of the wing show a kind of Boeing/Airbus type outboard flap track fairing on some MD-11 wings and a kind of DC-10 type outboard flap track fairing on other MD-11 wings. Can anyone explain this?

One is sort of a cutoff flap track fairing. The other is sort of a tear drop shaped [?] flap track fairing that extends beyond the wing trailing edge. Were the flap tracks changed as a result of the McDonnell Douglas PIP program?

I would post photos but I don't want to break any copyright laws.

Starlionblue

Re: MD-11: Two types of outboard flap tracks fairings

Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:48 am

You can post as many airliners.net pictures as you like. Here's a search for MD-11 wing.

https://www.airliners.net/search?aircra ... lay=detail

convair880mfan
Topic Author

Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:59 am

I don't know how to do that.

The airliners.net photo numbers showing the two different types of flap track fairing on the MD-11 are #1925902

and #1491699 if that helps.

AirKevin

Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:33 am

convair880mfan wrote:

The airliners.net photo numbers showing the two different types of flap track fairing on the MD-11 are #1925902

Here you go. This is the code you type in for two pictures:
[twoid]1925902,1491699[/twoid]

And you get this:

Starlionblue

Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:33 am

convair880mfan wrote:

If you click "Full Editor and Preview" you get the buttons "PhotoID", "TwoID" and "ThreeID", used for embedding a.net pics. And also a button to embed external pics.

DL_Mech

Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:59 am

The early MD-11s also had a louvred door for the pack outlets (next to the nose gear). The KLM planes were mostly newer and did not have these doors. There is also a small vortex generator added on the pack inlets on the later planes. The streamlined flap fairings and these pack inlet/outlet differences occurred around the same time on the production line.

Aaron747

Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:32 am

convair880mfan wrote:
I was Googling "MD-11 wing" and noticed that some window shots of the wing show a kind of Boeing/Airbus type outboard flap track fairing on some MD-11 wings and a kind of DC-10 type outboard flap track fairing on other MD-11 wings. Can anyone explain this?

One is sort of a cutoff flap track fairing. The other is sort of a tear drop shaped [?] flap track fairing that extends beyond the wing trailing edge. Were the flap tracks changed as a result of the McDonnell Douglas PIP program?

Yes these were PIP changes. Only installed on the last production batch from mid-1990s onward.

Horstroad

Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:11 pm

Actually those are flap hinge fairings. The MD-11 flaps don't run on tracks* driven by ball screws like they do on the Boeings and Airbusses. The flaps are hinged at the lower part of those fairings. There's a hydraulic actuator in each of these fairings that drives the flaps during retraction and extension.

*) The inboard edge of the inboard flaps does run on a track, but it rotates around the hinge on the outboard side of the inboard flap. Also the outboard flaps support carriages run on tracks. All these tracks are hidden in the wing structure though and not in the flap hinge fairings.

DeltaMD95

Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:57 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
convair880mfan wrote:

Yes these were PIP changes. Only installed on the last production batch from mid-1990s onward.

From research I recall the PIP frames were approx. built between 1994-2000, with progressive upgrades through ‘96 (‘98 for the F). The non-PIP were largely built from 1990-93.

LH707330

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:06 pm

Those new flap fairing were part of the PIP, as were the new #2 intake, windscreen wipers, GE pointy exhaust cones, and a handful of other things. More on the changes here: https://airlinercafe.com/page.php?id=392