Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CanukinUSA
Topic Author

FAA Demands that Boeing Flight Manuals give more detail on Pilot Emergency Procedures

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:48 am

In Seattle Times tomorrow there is an interesting article on the FAA requirements for what is to be contained in the Airplane Flight Manuals (AFM) for future Aircraft Certifications. It is an interesting requirement for information to be added to the Airplane Flight Manuals, but most airlines and their crews use the Flight Crew Operating Manual (FCOM) for reference in the operation of the aircraft. It would be interesting to find out how many Airline Pilots have ever seen an AFM for an Airline Aircraft. I know most pilots of smaller aircraft use the AFM for reference and are legally required to carry a copy of it onboard, but I have not seen very many AFMs in large aircraft.
I think that we can all see the importance to have better Pilot Emergency procedure details as was illustrated in the 737-8 MAX MCAS accidents but there still seems to be a disconnect in the process as there is not a legal requirement for what is in the FCOMs from the FAA. Some airlines regulated in foreign countries may have the requirement to carry the AFM in their aircraft imposed by their regulator.

For details (behind firewall):
https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... rocedures/

Woodreau

Re: FAA Demands that Boeing Flight Manuals give more detail on Pilot Emergency Procedures

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:21 am

I believe all airlines make the manufacturer AFM available for their pilots. I have read my airline’s manufacturer AFM for the 319 / 320 / 321 as it’s available on my EFB and I can see where the origin of my airline specific procedures come from.

But a manufacturer AFM is not really organized in a logical manner, our airline specific manufacturers AFM for the 4 models of 320 series family aircraft is 1330 pages, of which the first 350 pages is basically a list of what pages are effective for each individual aircraft in the airline’s fleet by MSN.

The airline derived AOM takes the 1330 page AFM and condenses it into 750 pages and covers the normal and supplemental procedures. Then there is a separate 1400 page emergency and abnormal procedures manual also derived from the manufacturer AFM, and a third manual for all crews to compute aircraft performance for normal and abnormal conditions.

To summarize the Airbus AFM for a 319/320/321 flown by American, United, Delta, Frontier, JetBlue, Alaska and Spirit are all each individually customized for each individual airline, and none of the seven 319/320/321 AFMs for each airline are anywhere similar in content to the other six manuals even though they all cover the normal and abnormal and emergency procedures for a 319/320/321 aircraft.

CanukinUSA
Topic Author

Re: FAA Demands that Boeing Flight Manuals give more detail on Pilot Emergency Procedures

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:18 am

The AFM is organized in a legally correct fashion and that is the property that makes it not very useful on the flight deck. OK for lawyers though.