Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

twosoun
Topic Author

MPH student shifting into aviation

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:07 am

Hey there! I realize this might be a weird request but I am not sure who else to turn to. I am a current MPH Healthcare management student who will be graduating in a year. However, I think my lifelong passion lies beyond healthcare—aviation to be exact.

Ive always been fascinated by airlines, airplanes, and airports. I am constantly checking airline news, monitoring flight prices, and engaging with online civil aviation forums. I am obsessed with airline flight scheduling and overall airport operations. I play airline tycoon and airport management games on my phone and laptop, every chance I get. Its truly my hobby.

I am not sure if this career pivot is doable (healthcare -> aviation). But given that I have some experience in strategy, data analysis, and have minimal knowledge of the basic MBA-level courses (accounting, strategy, microecon), would you guys be able suggest some careers within aviation that would suit my background and resources to get connected?

Im just not sure how to proceed from here, given that I will be graduating with an MPH and dont want to do environmental/occupational health…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TerminalD

Re: MPH student shifting into aviation

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:56 am

It sounds like you are looking for something in HQ management. I’d say you have three options: 1) get an internship, 2) take some more aviation/business oriented classes, or 3) take an airport job and work your way up. If you get an internship with a medical background you might have your best shot with inflight (crew planning, etc) since they deal with a lot of onboard medical situations and that might get you in the door. If you want to take other classes you might look into Embry-Riddle options. I think they have classes you can take online and while you might not get a degree it would look better on your resume. The third option of working at the airport is probably not a bad idea right now as they are desperately short and you might move up fast. The trick is to get a job with the actual airline and not a contractor. Those jobs are harder to find. Southwest is the best for moving up from the airport.

LCDFlight

Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:02 am

Does corporate wellness interest you? It is more of a broad career that would allow you to do airline HQ jobs, get flight benefits, but not box you into the airline industry (which is small) for life. And it's a career path that will be around for the long term. That what I would look into.

Just a thought. That's something you can do next year. Getting a pilot job is a longer road, with more uncertainties. (not even suggesting pilot jobs will go away, they are just harder to get, with fewer alternative options).

twosoun
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:14 am

TerminalD wrote:
It sounds like you are looking for something in HQ management. I’d say you have three options: 1) get an internship, 2) take some more aviation/business oriented classes, or 3) take an airport job and work your way up. If you get an internship with a medical background you might have your best shot with inflight (crew planning, etc) since they deal with a lot of onboard medical situations and that might get you in the door. If you want to take other classes you might look into Embry-Riddle options. I think they have classes you can take online and while you might not get a degree it would look better on your resume. The third option of working at the airport is probably not a bad idea right now as they are desperately short and you might move up fast. The trick is to get a job with the actual airline and not a contractor. Those jobs are harder to find. Southwest is the best for moving up from the airport.

Unfortunately I am still in school for an additional year so working at an airport is out of the question. Good idea re: internships! I am currently finishing up my internship from this summer at a healthcare org but will have lots of room in my schedule for a remote internship this Fall… I see lots of opportunities available

twosoun
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:15 am

LCDFlight wrote:
Does corporate wellness interest you? It is more of a broad career that would allow you to do airline HQ jobs, get flight benefits, but not box you into the airline industry (which is small) for life. And it's a career path that will be around for the long term. That what I would look into.

Just a thought. That's something you can do next year. Getting a pilot job is a longer road, with more uncertainties. (not even suggesting pilot jobs will go away, they are just harder to get, with fewer alternative options).

What does corporate wellness entail in the aviation sector? Could you elaborate a little more?

LCDFlight

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:20 am

twosoun wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

What does corporate wellness entail in the aviation sector? Could you elaborate a little more?

At Delta, I see two relevant jobs open right now. Not entry level, though.

General Manager, Health Analytics
Managing Director, Mental Health and Well-Being Programs

I don't work at Delta, but I do see that corporations hire MPH people for certain types of work. My friend's wife is an MPH with a big corporate career. Health is a major issue for EVERY major company due to the cost of health insurance.

twosoun
Topic Author

Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:24 am

LCDFlight wrote:
twosoun wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

At Delta, I see two relevant jobs open right now. Not entry level, though.

General Manager, Health Analytics
Managing Director, Mental Health and Well-Being Programs

I don't work at Delta, but I do see that corporations hire MPH people for certain types of work. My friend's wife is an MPH with a big corporate career. Health is a major issue for EVERY major company due to the cost of health insurance.

Ooooh those definitely seem like they are right up my alley… Thanks for sharing those jobs!

N1120A

Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:21 am

Every airline, especially the majors, has jobs with the skills you're acquiring. These are massive organizations that deal with all sorts of interesting health issues. I bet UA and AA have the same kind of positions DL has above. Wouldn't be surprised if others do too.

chimborazo

Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:52 am

On reading the thread title, I thought this was going to be a thread about the OP struggling to deal with 1 knot being 1.15 MPH :-)

Woodreau

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:45 pm

Yeah I think I figured out that MPH is Masters in Public Health - I could still be wrong. but while most people here understand aviation acronyms and abbreviations. it's not the same when other industries/occupations/fields abbreviations and acronyms are used.

Redbellyguppy

Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:09 am

Go take a demo flight. I doubt it’s too late for you if you have the heart for it.

Agamadi

Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:29 am

TerminalD wrote:

LCDFlight wrote:

As for me, I remember as a student I switched to aviation and I had constant problems writing various written homework assignments that were related to engineering. I was helped by the service https://assignmentbro.com/ca/engineering-assignment-help where I always received qualified writing assistance.

Thank you very much for your recommendations, this information is also valuable to me.