Page 1 of 1

Main Wheel Tire Shoulder wear - but on one side only

Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:02 pm
by HAWK21M
What is the reason for Main Wheel Tire Shoulder wear - but on one side only
Is it Imbalance in tire post rethreading.

Re: Main Wheel Tire Shoulder wear - but on one side only

Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:06 pm
by fr8mech
Hawk, more info needed.

Is it one position on a specific aircraft?
One position on all aircraft?

Or, just a general question on tire wear?

And, is it really shoulder wear, or is it edge wear?

Re: Main Wheel Tire Shoulder wear - but on one side only

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:48 am
by WKTaylor
What kind of tire... tube-in-tire or tubeless... bias ply or radial?

Also... all major aircraft tire manufacturers' have what ammounts to an 'aircraft tire care and maintenance manual'... I have several: Dunlop, Goodyear and Michelin... available on the company websites.

Also... good stuff...
FAA AC20-97B Aircraft Tire Maintenance and Operational Practice http://www.faa.gov
RMA Aircraft Tire Information Service Bulletin http://www.rma.org

and if you can find a copy...
USAF T.O. 4T-1-3 INSPECTION, MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS, STORAGE, AND DISPOSITION OF AIRCRAFT TIRES AND INNER TUBES

Re: Main Wheel Tire Shoulder wear - but on one side only

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:46 pm
by m1m2
If it's edge wear, on one side of the tire (the "shoulder" tread if you will), I'm thinking it's a torque-link shimming problem. This would put the tire out of alignment making it wear with an uneven pattern. An imbalance will usually result in a shimmy of some sort.

Re: Main Wheel Tire Shoulder wear - but on one side only

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:57 pm
by fr8mech
m1m2 wrote:
If it's edge wear, on one side of the tire (the "shoulder" tread if you will), I'm thinking it's a torque-link shimming problem. This would put the tire out of alignment making it wear with an uneven pattern. An imbalance will usually result in a shimmy of some sort.


Assuming that it’s at least a 2 wheel bogie, you’d expect the abnormal wear on both all the wheels on that bogie.

Re: Main Wheel Tire Shoulder wear - but on one side only

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:06 pm
by IFlyVeryLittle
Fast and Furious: LaGuardia Drift

Re: Main Wheel Tire Shoulder wear - but on one side only

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:46 am
by HAWK21M
fr8mech wrote:
Hawk, more info needed.

Is it one position on a specific aircraft?
One position on all aircraft?

Or, just a general question on tire wear?

And, is it really shoulder wear, or is it edge wear?


Shoulder wear on a MWA, but can vary on any Aircraft and Any wheel.... so its Wheel specific not axle specific
This is B757-200PCF

Re: Main Wheel Tire Shoulder wear - but on one side only

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:47 am
by HAWK21M
WKTaylor wrote:
What kind of tire... tube-in-tire or tubeless... bias ply or radial?

Also... all major aircraft tire manufacturers' have what ammounts to an 'aircraft tire care and maintenance manual'... I have several: Dunlop, Goodyear and Michelin... available on the company websites.

Also... good stuff...
FAA AC20-97B Aircraft Tire Maintenance and Operational Practice http://www.faa.gov
RMA Aircraft Tire Information Service Bulletin http://www.rma.org

and if you can find a copy...
USAF T.O. 4T-1-3 INSPECTION, MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS, STORAGE, AND DISPOSITION OF AIRCRAFT TIRES AND INNER TUBES


This is B757-200 Specific
Will check the Documents provided too

Re: Main Wheel Tire Shoulder wear - but on one side only

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:47 am
by HAWK21M
m1m2 wrote:
If it's edge wear, on one side of the tire (the "shoulder" tread if you will), I'm thinking it's a torque-link shimming problem. This would put the tire out of alignment making it wear with an uneven pattern. An imbalance will usually result in a shimmy of some sort.

However its not Axle specific but MWA specific

Re: Main Wheel Tire Shoulder wear - but on one side only

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:48 am
by HAWK21M
fr8mech wrote:
m1m2 wrote:
If it's edge wear, on one side of the tire (the "shoulder" tread if you will), I'm thinking it's a torque-link shimming problem. This would put the tire out of alignment making it wear with an uneven pattern. An imbalance will usually result in a shimmy of some sort.


Assuming that it’s at least a 2 wheel bogie, you’d expect the abnormal wear on both all the wheels on that bogie.


Agreed.
This is random one wheel in a Bogie

Re: Main Wheel Tire Shoulder wear - but on one side only

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:19 pm
by HAWK21M
WKTaylor wrote:
RMA Aircraft Tire Information Service Bulletin http://www.rma.org


I guess this is the correct link
https://www.ustires.org/publications_bu ... tegories=9