Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
deanva1957
Topic Author
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:55 pm

Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:10 am

Does anyone know the required clearance above the tarmac/apron that a passenger bridge or walkway like at DIA has to be so aircraft can pass under?
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7702
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:25 am

Anything below A318 tail height for DEN.
 
MO11
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:31 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Anything below A318 tail height for DEN.


I remember it was HP 757 in 1997....
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4680
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:38 am

The one at London Gatwick is 32 meters high, which is more than high enough for any aircraft to pass underneath. It's pretty cool.

Of course it can be built lower, however then certain types of aircraft would not be able to pass under it. The aircraft with the highest tail is the A380 which is 24.1 meters high so technically it would fit under a 24.2 meters bridge. Of course that leaves no room for error. A 747 tail is only 19.4 meters high so if you build a bridge at 20 meters a 747 can fit under it but an A380 can't.
 
User avatar
hongkongflyer
Posts: 859
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 am

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:13 am

HKG has a new bridge which allow 380 to pass
 
Delta28L
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:18 am

PHX new train to the rental car facility goes above a taxiway. IDK the height but I’ve seen pics of a 747-400 going underneath
 
KCaviator
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:00 pm

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:28 am

LGA has a new bridge (eventually 2) that goes over the ramp. I believe it allows for aircraft height up to 50 feet.
 
iamlucky13
Posts: 1454
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:35 pm

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:57 am

Seattle-Tacoma Airbport (SEA) added an pedestrian bridge to the international satellite terminal recently which they stated is 85 feet (26 meters) above the taxi lane below.

Looking at the airport planning manual for the A380, with a forward biased center of gravity, the tail could be as high as 24.3 meters, so SEA's bridge provides enough clearance for A380's.

From a search, it appears Denver's pedestrian bridge is only 42 feet (12.8 meters).
 
DenverBrian
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:32 pm

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:00 am

42 feet clearance at Denver Intl Airport.

https://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KDEN/remarks
 
jbmitt
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2002 3:59 am

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:13 am

DenverBrian wrote:
42 feet clearance at Denver Intl Airport.

https://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KDEN/remarks


At 41 and change, has anyone seen a Boeing 737 NG go under? I presume it would likely be Delta since they’re the only ones besides Frontier at that side.

I wonder if a nose wheel flat or gear collapse would raise the tail above 42?
 
User avatar
NameOmitted
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:20 am

jbmitt wrote:
DenverBrian wrote:
42 feet clearance at Denver Intl Airport.

https://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KDEN/remarks


At 41 and change, has anyone seen a Boeing 737 NG go under? I presume it would likely be Delta since they’re the only ones besides Frontier at that side.

I wonder if a nose wheel flat or gear collapse would raise the tail above 42?


Yes. It's the redeeming feature of a layover.
 
alasizon
Posts: 3054
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:24 am

Oddly enough, there isn't really one standard in this area like there is with taxilane safety areas. I would say a 4-6 foot buffer is the minimum to give every safety margin possible although some (looking at you DEN) are far less.
 
BUFJACK10
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:09 pm

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:11 am

I can’t remember where I saw this in print, but the height also needs to account for a collapse of the nose gear of an aircraft while taxiing underneath. Any aircraft whose tail exceeds the height of the bridge in the event of a collapse will not be allowed to taxi underneath. The odds of it happening are minute, but it does make sense
 
Noshow
Posts: 2685
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:21 am

AFAIK the measure is "A318 with a broken nose wheel strut" and aircraft nose sitting on the ground. In that case the tail will be higher and still has to not hit the bridge.
 
MO11
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:29 pm

DenverBrian wrote:
42 feet clearance at Denver Intl Airport.

https://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KDEN/remarks


And if Modern Airliners is right, the 757 is 44.5 feet.
 
User avatar
atcsundevil
Moderator
Posts: 4606
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:45 pm

Delta28L wrote:
PHX new train to the rental car facility goes above a taxiway. IDK the height but I’ve seen pics of a 747-400 going underneath

The APM bridge is 75ft high, and has clearance for any aircraft up to Group V, which includes the 744. The bridge itself is actually much higher than that, because Taxiway R is itself a bridge over Sky Harbor Blvd., so it's approximately 100 feet above the road surface. When it was officially opened in 2013, it was the tallest structure over an active taxiway in the world — I have no idea if that's still the case.
 
User avatar
NameOmitted
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:14 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
jbmitt wrote:
DenverBrian wrote:
42 feet clearance at Denver Intl Airport.

https://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KDEN/remarks


At 41 and change, has anyone seen a Boeing 737 NG go under? I presume it would likely be Delta since they’re the only ones besides Frontier at that side.

I wonder if a nose wheel flat or gear collapse would raise the tail above 42?


Yes. It's the redeeming feature of a layover.

I stand corrected. I found my pictures, and there's no extended dorsal fin, so it was probably a -200. It seemed longer from the odd angle.
 
AndoAv8R
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:29 pm

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:20 pm

If I remember correctly 737NG can pass under the bridge except for the 737-600, just like the 318
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 14746
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:57 pm

BUFJACK10 wrote:
I can’t remember where I saw this in print, but the height also needs to account for a collapse of the nose gear of an aircraft while taxiing underneath. Any aircraft whose tail exceeds the height of the bridge in the event of a collapse will not be allowed to taxi underneath. The odds of it happening are minute, but it does make sense


I was going to enquire about that. Imagine some kind of accident where the nose gear drops (it could be a collision with a tug or some issue with one), just when the fin is right under a bridge it barely fits under, and the result could be catastrophic.
 
cschleic
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:47 pm

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:14 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
jbmitt wrote:
DenverBrian wrote:
42 feet clearance at Denver Intl Airport.

https://flightaware.com/resources/airport/KDEN/remarks


At 41 and change, has anyone seen a Boeing 737 NG go under? I presume it would likely be Delta since they’re the only ones besides Frontier at that side.

I wonder if a nose wheel flat or gear collapse would raise the tail above 42?


Yes. It's the redeeming feature of a layover.


And there is (or was) signage on the bridge that says 42 ft. clearance. Interestingly, since there are two taxiways under the bridge, the center is higher than that but not by much.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 5039
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:23 pm

Aesma wrote:
BUFJACK10 wrote:
I can’t remember where I saw this in print, but the height also needs to account for a collapse of the nose gear of an aircraft while taxiing underneath. Any aircraft whose tail exceeds the height of the bridge in the event of a collapse will not be allowed to taxi underneath. The odds of it happening are minute, but it does make sense


I was going to enquire about that. Imagine some kind of accident where the nose gear drops (it could be a collision with a tug or some issue with one), just when the fin is right under a bridge it barely fits under, and the result could be catastrophic.


Would it actually be catastrophic, i.e., lead to a lot of deaths and destruction of the plane and bridge? I could see some unlucky people in the bridge dying but suspect it would not be a lot.
 
r6russian
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:12 am

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:52 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Aesma wrote:
BUFJACK10 wrote:
I can’t remember where I saw this in print, but the height also needs to account for a collapse of the nose gear of an aircraft while taxiing underneath. Any aircraft whose tail exceeds the height of the bridge in the event of a collapse will not be allowed to taxi underneath. The odds of it happening are minute, but it does make sense


I was going to enquire about that. Imagine some kind of accident where the nose gear drops (it could be a collision with a tug or some issue with one), just when the fin is right under a bridge it barely fits under, and the result could be catastrophic.


Would it actually be catastrophic, i.e., lead to a lot of deaths and destruction of the plane and bridge? I could see some unlucky people in the bridge dying but suspect it would not be a lot.


bridge is steel and concrete, airplane is aluminum. bridge will win. besides, it will be designed to withstand the possibility of vert stab collision with no structural damage, just some broken glass
 
twaconnie
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: Bridge over airport apron

Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:01 pm

alasizon wrote:
Oddly enough, there isn't really one standard in this area like there is with taxilane safety areas. I would say a 4-6 foot buffer is the minimum to give every safety margin possible although some (looking at you DEN) are far less.


At LGA the new bridges (terminal B) are 56ft. and the FAA has charted them 50ft clearance, you are correct 6ft. buffer..

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos