Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

planecane
Topic Author

Why do FAs collect trash 30 seconds after service ends?

Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:08 pm

I've often wondered this. The FAs (domestic beverage/snack service) will complete the service and then almost immediately come down the aisle collecting trash. If I'm sitting in the back 1/3 of the cabin, I've barely even started the snack when they appear to collect trash.

It's not a huge deal since they will return later but I've never understood why they don't wait 10 minutes or so and then almost everybody will have trash to hand over on the first trip down the aisle.

fr8mech

Re: Why do FAs collect trash 30 seconds after service ends?

Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:44 pm

I’ve never been a flight attendant nor got a look at their training, but I suspect they do it because they have the opportunity to.

The faster they get those loose, unrestrained items out from in front of people, the better.

From a security point of view, it keeps them moving around the cabin.

Reduce the amount they have to carry on any given trip?

Maybe boredom?

Really, any number of reasons, but I suspect reducing the amount of potential projectiles in the cabin is number one.

bradyj23

Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:12 pm

Because if I’m sitting towards the front I have finished my snack and have my trash just sitting in front of me. They don’t want it put in the seat pocket. I can’t pull out my laptop with trash on my table.

ALTF4

Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:12 pm

It takes quite some time for the service to complete. So the front will have been completed for a while and have finished consuming their service items. Are you saying you prefer they wait until you're done before they pick up trash from front 1/3rd? Or are you wishing they would visit 1/3rd of cabin, wait 10 minutes, visit next 1/3rd, then wait, etc?

AirKevin

Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:18 pm

I guess it also depends on the crew. I've had it happen once on a United 777 that the flight attendants were walking around the cabin collecting dinner trays as people were finishing with them. Only time I ever saw that happen. Works for me because the quicker I can get the tray table out of my way, the better.

CRJockey

Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:14 pm

planecane wrote:
I've often wondered this. The FAs (domestic beverage/snack service) will complete the service and then almost immediately come down the aisle collecting trash. If I'm sitting in the back 1/3 of the cabin, I've barely even started the snack when they appear to collect trash.

It's not a huge deal since they will return later but I've never understood why they don't wait 10 minutes or so and then almost everybody will have trash to hand over on the first trip down the aisle.

You mean like, everywhere in the world on all airlines all FAs do this?