Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

convair880mfan
Topic Author

"Silver dollar patch"?? MD-95 /Boeing 717

Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:49 pm

I found a reference to this from MD-95 [B-717] Chief Project Engineer Tom Croslin:

"'The goal was not to use composites because the maintenance community hates it,' said Croslin. 'With composites you need things like autoclaves for repairs, whereas any farm boy from Minnesota can repair a dent in aluminum with a silver dollar patch.'" *

What is a silver dollar patch and do any you have a photo of one? Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

N1120A

Re: "Silver dollar patch"?? MD-95 /Boeing 717

Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:57 pm

Silver Dollar Patch is a brand of aluminum based coating. My guess is they're talking about that, or speed tape.

Dalmd88

Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:16 pm

Never heard that before but I would guess it is a typical small round sheemetal repair. Many small dents are repaired with a patch that is about the size of a silver dollar or the end of a aluminum can.

gregorygoodwin

Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:09 pm

I think the reference is to the circular repair doubler used for small punctures or dents that are beyond limits. You can find them in some of the SRMs under the typical repair schemes. You are limited in where these repairs can be used, especially on pressurized structure. They are some times called "dollar/dime" repairs. This is because the doubler that surrounds the damage cut out and the filler that goes into the cut out sort of resemble a dollar coin compared to a dime.
Gregory

SteelChair

Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:30 pm

I believe it a slang term for a standard repair that every A and P learns on A&P school (US FAA). Reference AC 43.13 for details.

fr8mech

Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:24 pm

SteelChair wrote:
I believe it a slang term for a standard repair that every A and P learns on A&P school (US FAA). Reference AC 43.13 for details.

Hadn’t heard it called that before, but I knew what it was the moment I read the post.