Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PA91
Topic Author

OGG Runway strength - PCN/ACN

Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:53 am

Maui 2/20 Runway has a PCN code that reads PCN 48 /F/C/X/T. The ACN-PCN system works by comparing the PCN value, in this case 48, with the aircraft ACN value. But the aircraft ACN value depends not only on the aircraft weight, but also on pavement type and the pavement sub grade strength (for OGG: PCN value 48, flexible pavement low, high tire pressure, technical evaluation method).
Furthermore, OGG has announced the following values:
Single wheel: 130.0
Double wheel: 170.0
Double tandem: 360.0
Dual double tandem: 750.0

According to these values, the takeoff weights for e.g. the nonstop flights with the B772/B788 from OGG to ORD or the B767 service to EWR are hardly possible, since the runway pavement strength (together with the runway length) reduces the maximum takeoff weight considerably. Does United have a special permit to operate with higher weights from OGG?

I make an example: UA348 to ORD with a flight time of about 07h10min burns about 71,700 lbs fuel with an assumed payload of 60,000 lbs, so with reserves gives us a TO-fuel of about 85,000 lbs. Assuming an operating weight of about 266,700 lbs, this results in a ZFW of 326,700 lbs and a TO-weight of 411,700 lbs. However, the flight exceeds the permissible weight of the runway according to the Double Tandem limit (360k vs 411k) as well as with regard to the ACN value (I calculated an ACN value of 59). ACN (59) is higher than PCN (48) which means, that normal operation is not suitable on this pavement.

United is unlikely to fly this route with only lightly filled aircraft. How does it work? Does anyone have insight into OGG longhaul Flying?

Redbellyguppy

Re: OGG Runway strength - PCN/ACN

Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:11 pm

Hmm. I’ve been over 170 dual wheel. I’ll ask next time.

N1120A

Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:10 am

A 777 is a triple dual tandem, now code 3D, not a dual tandem. A 787-8 probably can operate the route at 360,000 pounds.

That said, I'm not sure these published numbers make sense anymore. If they did, 787-9s couldn't operate routes like SFO-SIN.

adipasqu

Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:11 pm

N1120A wrote:
A 777 is a triple dual tandem, now code 3D, not a dual tandem. A 787-8 probably can operate the route at 360,000 pounds.

That said, I'm not sure these published numbers make sense anymore. If they did, 787-9s couldn't operate routes like SFO-SIN.

Do we know if these PCN numbers are for static/dynamic loading (i.e. an aircraft sitting on the piano keys waiting to take-off at TOW, for example, then rolling down the runway) or for impact loading (i.e. when an aircraft lands on the runway, presumably with a much lighter fuel load and well below TOW)? If those numbers are for an impact load, the aircraft would be lighter and probably within the limits listed on the chart.