Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
1337Delta764
Topic Author
Posts: 6047
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:02 am

In-seat outlets and GFCI Testers

Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:19 pm

As far as I know, in-seat outlets onboard aircraft are GFCI protected to prevent shocks from spilled beverages.

Theoretically, can someone bring onboard a GFCI tester and knock out the onboard outlets? I'd hate to be the unlucky one. Or does an aircraft GFCI circuit work differently from one in a building?
 
User avatar
DL_Mech
Posts: 2713
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 7:48 am

Re: In-seat outlets and GFCI Testers

Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:44 pm

Each seat should have its own power supply, so you would only take out your own seat row. I believe this is done to minimize wire size/ amount of wires with 120v.
 
kalvado
Posts: 3307
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:29 am

Re: In-seat outlets and GFCI Testers

Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:13 pm

DL_Mech wrote:
Each seat should have its own power supply, so you would only take out your own seat row. I believe this is done to minimize wire size/ amount of wires with 120v.

What is the power system voltage generally? 28 V or something else?
I remember it used to be 400 Hz to reduce transformer size and weight, probably not a big deal anymore with all DC-DC converters today
 
User avatar
DL_Mech
Posts: 2713
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 7:48 am

Re: In-seat outlets and GFCI Testers

Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:24 pm

kalvado wrote:
DL_Mech wrote:
Each seat should have its own power supply, so you would only take out your own seat row. I believe this is done to minimize wire size/ amount of wires with 120v.

What is the power system voltage generally? 28 V or something else?
I remember it used to be 400 Hz to reduce transformer size and weight, probably not a big deal anymore with all DC-DC converters today


Traditional airplanes have 28v dc and 115v ac 400 hz (for smaller wire size). However, newer planes such as the A220 have mostly dc wiring running throughout with dc-ac conversion taking place inside the black boxes. I don’t know the reason for this new convention. Ideas?
 
kalvado
Posts: 3307
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:29 am

Re: In-seat outlets and GFCI Testers

Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:13 pm

DL_Mech wrote:
kalvado wrote:
DL_Mech wrote:
Each seat should have its own power supply, so you would only take out your own seat row. I believe this is done to minimize wire size/ amount of wires with 120v.

What is the power system voltage generally? 28 V or something else?
I remember it used to be 400 Hz to reduce transformer size and weight, probably not a big deal anymore with all DC-DC converters today


Traditional airplanes have 28v dc and 115v ac 400 hz (for smaller wire size). However, newer planes such as the A220 have mostly dc wiring running throughout with dc-ac conversion taking place inside the black boxes. I don’t know the reason for this new convention. Ideas?

DC distribution should be a bit easier - definitely less crosstalk in electronics, simpler battery integration. With modern semiconductor converters making conversions small and light, motor-generators are forgotten as a nightmare and one can choose distribution without thinking about the cost of conversion.
On a very separate - but similar - note, I heard some ideas of DC-only residential grid. We'll see. Never thought I would say that, but changing architecture with a new jet type is easier than changing ancient residential standard.
 
celestar345
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 5:35 pm

Re: In-seat outlets and GFCI Testers

Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:17 am

For most outlets I have worked on if any fault occurs it will only take out the outlet in that particular seat - other outlets in the same row are not affected despite supplied from the same converter box. And the converter box takes power from one phase of the 3-phase 115V 400hz, the wiring rotates so the power loading across the cabin should be more evenly distributed on the three phases AC.

The outlets are pretty well built - although some do fail over time most of them takes a lot of abuse without fail. So if yours fail and you really need the outlet your next seat neighbor's should be working.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 77west, boacvc10 and 19 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos