Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mxguy
Topic Author

Delta TechOps Line Technician

Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:48 pm

Wondering if anyone has any idea what the starting salary is for this position working in California?

Thanks!

DL777200LR

Re: Delta TechOps Line Technician

Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:30 pm

mxguy wrote:
Wondering if anyone has any idea what the starting salary is for this position working in California?

Thanks!

All stations for Delta line maintenance have the same hourly pay. Hard to fill stations like LAX start at the 1.5 year scale.

$29.19 for non hard to fill stations
$36.12 for hard to fill stations

Dalmd88

Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:46 pm

All bids now have a 2 year min stay unless you bid up.

A lot of the hard to fill stations tend to like to hire locals. There is less chance of losing an AMT to a transfer bid after the 2 years.

System wide there is an influx of new hires now. In ATL at the TOC we have a lot of contractors on a Potential Full Time program. They work for Launch Aviation and if they impress, they get a job offer. I don't know how long the contracts are for.

DL777200LR

Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:18 pm

Dalmd88 wrote:
All bids now have a 2 year min stay unless you bid up.

A lot of the hard to fill stations tend to like to hire locals. There is less chance of losing an AMT to a transfer bid after the 2 years.

System wide there is an influx of new hires now. In ATL at the TOC we have a lot of contractors on a Potential Full Time program. They work for Launch Aviation and if they impress, they get a job offer. I don't know how long the contracts are for.

Hard to fill stations have 3 year residency now.

Haemoglobin

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:00 am

DL777200LR wrote:
mxguy wrote:

Thanks!

All stations for Delta line maintenance have the same hourly pay. Hard to fill stations like LAX start at the 1.5 year scale.

Is there a particular reason why LAX tends to be harder to fill?
E.g. work environment, city, ...

DL777200LR

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:16 am

Haemoglobin wrote:
DL777200LR wrote:
mxguy wrote:

Thanks!

High cost of living usually leads to people transferring out. LAX/JFK/LGA/SAN/EWR/SFO/HNL are all hard to fill stations.

Zeke2517

Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:54 am

DL777200LR wrote:
Haemoglobin wrote:
DL777200LR wrote:

High cost of living usually leads to people transferring out. LAX/JFK/LGA/SAN/EWR/SFO/HNL are all hard to fill stations.

Imagine if people were paid enough to work where they live…

Aaron747

Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:36 am

DL777200LR wrote:
Haemoglobin wrote:
DL777200LR wrote:

$36.12 amounts to only 2/3 of the rate used in federal COLA for LAX. I bet if they at least matched it this would be less of a 'hard to fill' station. 32% would be close to $39/hr.

mxguy
Topic Author

Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:33 pm

Might be headed for SAN with them. Is there a step pay progression?

Dalmd88

Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:37 pm

mxguy wrote:

Yes, there is a step progression. Hard to fill stations hire in at 1.5 year mark of the 8 year top out. I'll be honest I don't even know what the top out pay is right now. I think it's around $52 hr.

I've never really understood this logic versus a COLA for high cost cities, but the company seems to be able to staff these stations, so that is why there is no COLA. With out the COLA you top out earlier but at the eight year mark an AMT in ATL or DTW is making the same.

acmx

Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:09 pm

Is the 2 or 3 year commitment to a station when you hire in a hard and fast rule? Or are there situations where they let people bid out prior to meeting the commitment?

Dalmd88

Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:59 pm

acmx wrote:
Is the 2 or 3 year commitment to a station when you hire in a hard and fast rule? Or are there situations where they let people bid out prior to meeting the commitment?

it's a pretty hard rule. The two exceptions I've seen is you bid up to a higher class of job at another station. Say AMT to Lead AMT or Inspection. Both of those a pretty high orders for a new hire AMT. That is the only official out I've seen. Now I've seen it waved just because the current manager wants the guy gone but can't fire him. Not a great way to leave, but it does happen.

mxguy
Topic Author

Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:59 am

Dalmd88 wrote:
acmx wrote:

it's a pretty hard rule. The two exceptions I've seen is you bid up to a higher class of job at another station. Say AMT to Lead AMT or Inspection. Both of those a pretty high orders for a new hire AMT. That is the only official out I've seen. Now I've seen it waved just because the current manager wants the guy gone but can't fire him. Not a great way to leave, but it does happen.

Would you happen to know the hiring process from start to finish? Just want to gage actual time from interview to offer letter as I try to balance another job offer that is on the table.

Thanks!

DL777200LR

Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:47 am

Dalmd88 wrote:
mxguy wrote:

Yes, there is a step progression. Hard to fill stations hire in at 1.5 year mark of the 8 year top out. I'll be honest I don't even know what the top out pay is right now. I think it's around $52 hr.

I've never really understood this logic versus a COLA for high cost cities, but the company seems to be able to staff these stations, so that is why there is no COLA. With out the COLA you top out earlier but at the eight year mark an AMT in ATL or DTW is making the same.

Do u really top out earlier? I though u stayed at the 1.5 year mark for 2.5 years when the next step increase is.

Lpbri

Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:42 pm

I’m guessing the first few pay steps at DAL are small, and the last step is the big one.

CALTECH

Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:33 am

Lpbri wrote:
I’m guessing the first few pay steps at DAL are small, and the last step is the big one.

If it is like some other pay scales, some of the first ones are big and same with some of the last steps.....

SteelChair

Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:06 am

No union dues!

B-787

Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:54 am

SteelChair wrote:
No union dues!

Problem with no union dues is a different work environment that you want to make sure matches what you would want to work in. Check the differences between working at UPS versus FedEx.

SteelChair

Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:13 pm

B-787 wrote:
SteelChair wrote:
No union dues!

Problem with no union dues is a different work environment that you want to make sure matches what you would want to work in. Check the differences between working at UPS versus FedEx.

Do tell, more details please