Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

convair880mfan
Topic Author

Are there any airliners that descend from cruising altitude in a flat or slightly nose up pitch?

Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:23 pm

Watching airliners come in for landings, I notice that many have a nose high attitude during the final approach. What about during the initial descent?

BWIAirport

Re: Are there any airliners that descend from cruising altitude in a flat or slightly nose up pitch?

Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:36 pm

Probably not, although I could be wrong. By the end of cruise, if the calculations have been done properly, the aircraft should be within a degree or two of flying perfectly level. Unless the descent is unusually gradual, initial descent will be nose-down. You'll probably start to see a nose-high attitude in some circumstances as the aircraft approaches airspeed restrictions.

johns624

Re: Are there any airliners that descend from cruising altitude in a flat or slightly nose up pitch?

Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:03 pm

convair880mfan wrote:
Watching airliners come in for landings, I notice that many have a nose high attitude during the final approach. What about during the initial descent?
In one of your other posts, you listed all the planes that you have been in. Have you ever noticed a nose high descent?

Woodreau

Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:01 pm

AF447 was descending at over 15,000ft/min in a level attitude.

Starlionblue

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:23 am

convair880mfan wrote:

As BWIAirport says, the pitch angle during the descent is within a few degrees of level. Looking at the unreliable airspeed reference for the A330, the reference pitch angle for descent is 2 degrees,

The nose-high attitude on final is is largely due to the aerodynamic effects of leading-edge devices. Aircraft without leading-edge devices, e.g. CRJs and B-52s, tend to have a much lower pitch angle on final.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:43 am

Woodreau wrote:

I was gonna say that—some planes have descended in flat or nose-high attitude just not too successfully. The T-38 syllabus has a full aft stick stall demonstration. I can’t remember, but I think it gradually entered clean and you could the stick at the aft stop, wing rocking and nose near level—descent rate was pretty high. Point being don’t let this happen. Sort of like the vertical confidence maneuver where you ran it out is speed and flopped over.

BWIAirport

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:47 pm

Woodreau wrote:

I feel comfortable stating that's not standard operating procedure