Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Trimeresurus
Topic Author

Can you talk with a handheld transreceiver to aircraft?

Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:23 am

Like an AM walkie talkie, albeit a powerful one with a long antenna. Is it possible to transmit to VHF channels used for aviation? I don't mean the legal possibility of it(eg. ham radio), but technical one. If it is, is it ever done? Do follow-me cars and such talk with the pilots with handheld transceivers? Could they do it if the aircraft was at FL350?

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Can you talk with a handheld transreceiver to aircraft?

Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:49 am

Why not, it’s only 6 miles away with no obstructions. You don’t need much transmitting power—5Watts would do it— just an antenna tuned for the frequency. Small planes sometimes carry VHF portables as a backup. Sporty’s sells them, or did.

Woodreau

Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:15 pm

Deicing crews are probably using portable handheld transceivers to communicate with aircraft.

I think the limitation for the handheld radio is power out.

mxaxai

Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:44 pm

Handhelds are fairly common on smaller airfields where you only need to communicate with aircraft in the circuit or on the ground. Especially useful when you're doing something outside and can't stay near a stationary radio, though the range (especially when transmitting) is very limited. Perhaps around 10-15km in good conditions?

Tristarsteve

Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:53 pm

When I worked at ARN for BA I had a hand held VHF radio. Used it every day in the winter to pass deicing codes to the aircraft, and occasionally during delays to talk to the pilots when we didn't have their mobile numbers.

rjsampson

Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:54 pm

Handhelds can have plenty of range.

Here’s an example of someone talking to Toronto ATC …. From his bathtub!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvA_-linhg8

That’s obviously ill-advised. Can someone chime in on whether or not this was against the law? I suspect not. He identified himself accurately!

SteelChair

Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:49 pm

Suggest thread removal immediately. No profit in giving some clown the idea to lock up/block frequencies at major airports.

CosmicCruiser

Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:23 pm

Back in the late 60s I used to ferry new Cessnas from ICT to MEM to the regional dealer. Very often the new planes had no radio package so we would take a portable VHF radio that we would use to call the tower when reaching MEM. Often there might be a flight of 2 or 3 and the guy with the radio would call for everyone.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:23 pm

It’s pretty widely known among the “clown” community, not to mention anyone checking out a discarded Sporty’s catalog.

mxaxai

Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:37 pm

SteelChair wrote:
Suggest thread removal immediately. No profit in giving some clown the idea to lock up/block frequencies at major airports.

The regulators are usually quite capable at searching for unwanted (and potentially illegal) emissions. It's their job, after all. In the US, that would be the FCC. Anybody stupid enough to try this should expect a friendly visit by law enforcement officers in short order.

Woodreau

Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:52 pm

Surprised NavCanada didn’t bill the bathtub guy.

rjsampson

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:11 am

Woodreau wrote:
Surprised NavCanada didn’t bill the bathtub guy.

The Toronto Center controller was just so.... polite. Didn't seem miffed in the least. Maybe that's Canadian politeness.

Nonetheless.... I wonder if a report would have been made after the Bathtub Guy did a radio check right after Center was talking to an AA A330

N1120A

Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:29 am

Handhelds work pretty well. Every CFI I know carries one and most GA pilots who fly their own/rent planes carry one too. Easy insurance against a radio failure or electrical issue. Those big whip antennas work pretty well.

jetblueguy22

Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:35 am

SteelChair wrote:

You must work for the TSA if you think this is a security risk

RetiredWeasel

Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:55 pm

Every military fighter pilot carries a hand held transceiver in his survival vest.. Used to be able to transmit/receive on guard freq's only (121.5 or 243 MHZ), but I hear the newer ones have GPS and can transmit/receive on several freqs and data transmit coordinates.

26point2

Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:27 pm

I’ve heard ATIS broadcasts mentioning something like “...caution for unauthorized transmissions on tower frequency”. It happens.

N47

Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:56 am

The FCC does actually not handle all RF emission related issues, for aviation frequencies the FAA itself handles them. Theres a whole organization that deals with those sorts of stuff. They have teams that are specifically charged with finding unathorized transmissions. Ive witnessed them do mock training cases and let me tell you they can find those transmissions pretty quickly. Now days its not only vhf transmission but also gps jammers.

As for hand-held radios, they can certainly be used to communicate with aircraft. When flight checks are conducted at navaids, the ground crew manning the ground equipment will often make tweaks and adjustments to the ground equipment and ask the aircrew if the signal improved or not using handheld equipment. Last time I had to do this we were able to talk to the aicrew from about 15-20 nmi using a common (well maybe not anymore) radioshack VHF transceiver.

N47

Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:09 am

mxaxai wrote:
The regulators are usually quite capable at searching for unwanted (and potentially illegal) emissions. It's their job, after all. In the US, that would be the FCC. Anybody stupid enough to try this should expect a friendly visit by law enforcement officers in short order.

So for aviation related frequenciea its actually the Spectrum Engineering organization that handles those types of issues. While the FCC technically has authority over all frequencies i believe they delegated authority for aviation related frequencies to FAA and other to DoD and so on but dont quote me on that. But the FAA doesnt have law enforcment officers so they do work with FBI to catch and prosecute those types of bad actors. The FCC mainly handles commercial frequencies cellphones etc.